Thread: Bruce Weber A-5G Gibson

Smile Bruce Weber A-5G Gibson

Hello Everyone!

I am looking to get some information on my recent pawn shop find! I have been playing bluegrass guitar for some time now and decided to venture out to find me a mandolin. I am for sure new to the instrument but wanted to get a little information on my find. I think I may have over-paid but that is OK because it sounds great!

I located a 1994 Gibson A-5G signed by Bruce Weber in a local pawn shop. I ended up talking the guy down from $2000 to $1800. The mandolin is in EXCELLENT condition. Hardly has a scratch and never been tampered with. Does anyone know the actual worth of this instrument and any of its history? Thanks for any information!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image4.jpeg 
Views:	232 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	189449

Name:	image5.png 
Views:	230 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	189450

Name:	image3.jpeg 
Views:	202 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	189451

Name:	image2.jpeg 
Views:	230 
Size:	911.4 KB 
ID:	189452

Name:	image1.jpeg 
Views:	218 
Size:	800.0 KB 
ID:	189453

Name:	image0.jpeg 
Views:	219 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	189454

Default Re: Bruce Weber A-5G Gibson

Nice find! Gibson mandolins were briefly made in Montana after the company bought Flatiron. Bruce and some of the others did not want to move to Nashville, so they stayed in Montana and he started Sound to Earth, formerly the maker of Weber mandolins. The A5G is not super common, so it's hard to put a price on it, but I think you did just fine. How's it sound and play?

Here's one that sold for 1675.00 plus shipping and it's the more desirable earlier version. Here's a Bruce Weber signed one that sold for for 1599.00. It's probably worth just about what you paid for it.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

The history of the F5G and A5G and what the G stood for can be found in this thread.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F. View Post
    Nice find! Gibson mandolins were briefly made in Montana after the company bought Flatiron. Bruce and some of the others did not want to move to Nashville, so they stayed in Montana and he started Sound to Earth, formerly the maker of Weber mandolins. The A5G is not super common, so it's hard to put a price on it, but I think you did just fine. How's it sound and play?
    It plays amazing! I love it! I had one of my friends give it a run and it sounded great. Nice tone. Ill post a video below!

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jasonleemichael For This Useful Post: