Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Builder or Company

Default Re: Builder or Company

Pronghorn is what I referring too. A guy around here calls them that. I am new to this world. Now I know

Quote Originally Posted by zdub View Post
    I have only heard them called that around here. But, then again, not many people talk about them. Its the pronghorn style. Sorry for the confusion.

- - - Updated - - -

Pronghorn
    Foghorn Leghorn: Looka here son, I say, son, did you see that hawk after those hens? He scared them, that Rhode Island Red turned White then Blue. Rhode Island. Red, White and Blue – that’s a joke son. A flag waver. You’re built too low. Fast ones go over your head.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

3. The following members say thank you to ColdBeerGoCubs for this post:

Some here have recommended Weber. They are fine mandolins. I have two. But if zdub wants a flat fretboard and a thicker neck, Weber would not be the choice. They have rather slim necks and a radius board. Zdub, you sound as if you don’t have a lot of experience playing different brands. It would be good if you could play some different brands to get an idea of what you like.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Custom builder ! At your price point a Girouard A !

Quote Originally Posted by zdub View Post
    I have only heard them called that around here. But, then again, not many people talk about them. Its the pronghorn style. Sorry for the confusion.

- - - Updated - - -

Pronghorn
    I'm still confused. Would a Pronghorn be a two-point? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pronghorn.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	189587

Wouldn't that make an F-Style a Bighorn? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big horn.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	340.1 KB 
ID:	189590
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

7. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    I'm still confused. Would a Pronghorn be a two-point? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pronghorn.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	189587

Wouldn't that make an F-Style a Bighorn? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big horn.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	340.1 KB 
ID:	189590
    Weber makes a bighorn. Isn't it an F?
    Mandolin: Kentucky KM150
    Other instruments: way too many, and yet, not nearly enough.

My blog: https://theoffgridmusician.music.blog/
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChF...yWuaTrtB4YORAg
    My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/africanbanjogunnar/
    Free backing tracks:
    https://backingtrackers.wordpress.com/

I have had 6 instruments made for me in the last 30 years or more and didn't really feel satisfied with any of them. I know people who have been pleased but there are so many things that can be to the builders taste (such as sunburst variations) and all sorts of other things that, withut even considering the most important SOUND of it, you jay find it delicate and awkward to say you dont really like an aspect of it. I would always go for something which I have held in my hand and played. Then again if someone had told me that 30 years ago, I may have not listened because once people get something into their head, it takes a bit to change these thought processes.
    Custom built? Definitely not is my view from 50 plus years of playing and collecting.

Another perspective, We have 3 mandolins, all from individual builders, all fabulous. None of which I played before buying. All of which I'm more than happy with. At the same time I've had mandolins from larger companies that were great too.

I think many of the variables over time have to do with one's changes in skill, adaptability, taste. Maybe as much or more so than whether a mandolin was built by an individual or company.

I suggest buying used, and like others taking a hard look at the Classified. Many good mandolins there.

I have 3 custom built instruments and have commissioned a 4th. If you know what you want it is the way to go. You're going to have to appreciate that builders other work though. And you have to give it time to settle in, new instruments can sound a little “green”.

If you don’t know what you want, or are way too specific about what you want and have a VERY specific instrument in mind, don’t go custom.

My custom ordered Collings MT2 took some time to come into it’s own. But it sounds amazing with all the hours of play.
    My custom Weber Big Horn needed a lot of play, specific strings and a bridge change to get it to the cannon it is today, but I can’t ever imagine parting with it.
    My one piece birdseye maple back Collings MT2O has the strangest difference in sound to my ears, but it gets the most compliments from others. Go figure.

I remember a thread from long ago where a luthier had a customer get upset there weren’t double dots on the side at the 12th fret. If you want a variation from standard you’d better be able to communicate it well.

Good luck!
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

I've had 3 instruments commissioned. I find the entire process of selecting the woods, choosing the different options, designing the inlay, etc, very exciting and enjoyable. I find it amazing how someone can convert inanimate pieces of wood by hand and bring to life a beautiful instrument that provides a lifetime of joy and companionship. That is priceless. The only excruciating part is the wait time for it to be delivered .

I get that some may not bond with the build that was commissioned. The solution may be to use a builder who will give you a full refund if you are not satisfied.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I've never played a Silverangel I didn't like.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous