Thread: The Detectorists

Default The Detectorists

Only the best show ever. British series that ran 3 seasons. Anyone need therapy in these times, get all 3 seasons and binge watch. You'll thank me. There's even a mandolin in an episode.

2. The following members say thank you to mmuller for this post:

Cobalt 

Default Re: The Detectorists

The theme song is wonderful, as is the incidental music throughout.

I couldn't agree more! I loved this series, the people in it and their relationships. The general premise of the show seems like it might be a little slow, but the character development is such that every moment is enjoyable, their quirky hobby is treated with respect, and at the end of the series I found myself missing the characters much like you do at the end of a novel.

You can rent this on DVD from Netflix. That is how we watched it just recently (we don't have a tv and we don't have good enough internet access to stream so we just rent DVDs).
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

5. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

I second that recommendation! Brilliant, funny, charming series. I own the DVD set! I think we’ve watched it four times. McKenzie Crook is a genius.

7. The following members say thank you to Mike Buesseler for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

seeing the wooden-eyed pirate of the Caribbeans playing a guitar alone is worth it
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

In the UK it is still available for free download or streaming on BBC iplayer, though I don't know for how long it will remain.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...r/detectorists

Toby Jones playing the mandolin is possibly the low point of the series! Whilst you’re trying to track down Detectorists, you might also look out for “Derry Girls” - a group of school friends (one of whom is a boy) during the troubles in N Ireland. Equally funny but with a harder edge.

11. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Yes! Excellent series. Does anyone know whether there will be more seasons or was it cancelled?

Ah, I found the answer, from Wikipedia entry:

Upon deciding to finish the show at the end of series 3, [Mackenzie] Crook commented "it took a while to realise that I did want to do six more episodes to finish. I don’t want to make any sort of big, dramatic announcement that ‘never again’, but I can’t see myself going back to it."
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Unfortunately it is not available to stream on Netflix.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

You can rent the episodes individually thru Amazon, or go for a free month on Acorn (all British TV) and watch the series. Course then you'd have to binge it

Streaming free on Prime Video for members
    2003 John Sullivan F5 "Roy"
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

We bought the DVD box set of all 3 seasons. https://www.amazon.com/Detectorists-...47247516&psc=1 We actually just sorta roll through to the end then start all over again. If we don't watch for a bit we actually miss the characters. It's the ultimate wind down before bed ritual. 2 episodes at a time, it's like having a nice glass of red wine.

17. The following members say thank you to mmuller for this post:

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Wonderful warm hug of a series.
    I'm good friends with Davey Dodds, who wrote The Magpie - on the series it's sung by The Unthanks (and mercifully it's better than the original (sorry mate if you read this, but he'll probably agree)).

I'll share this nugget of Davey... I was watching him play his octave mando and he could see me looking at him, somewhat askance. He was using his thumb to barre a 2200 A chord. Noticed he did it with his mandolin too.
    He informed me that Keef Richards taught him this way... I told him that Keef's an idiot...
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

19. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post: