Thread: Tenor guitar options in Europe

Default Tenor guitar options in Europe

Hi,

it's been while since I posted here, but I got MAS again, and now on lookout for a good tenor guitar. I'm in Netherlands (Europe) and it's usually not easy to find a lot of different options to try + COVID situation doesn't make it easier.

My idea of what I want from tenor guitar changed over time, I've started with wanting some 21'' scale length / smaller body instrument (Regal-style) but I've tried a couple of instruments like that and came to the conclusion that I want more depth and I also want a punchier long scale.

So at the moment I'm looking for, ideally, vintage Martin 0-18T. I've checked the leads I know here but haven't found anything so far.
    I can find something in U.S. but I'm not sure if these Martins have any Brazilian rosewood in it - in case they do then shipping might be a problem.

Having said that, I've decided I'll try to see if I'm missing any obvious points and ask for advice from you folks - may be you know somebody who has one in NL and wants to sell or you know some store which I can also ask?

Best,
    Roman

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Default Re: Tenor guitar options in Europe

I'll PM you Roman
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Good luck Roman - Martin stopped using Brazilian Rosewood in late 1969, if that will help you in your search.

Huck

I PMed too. Good luck finding what you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    Good luck Roman - Martin stopped using Brazilian Rosewood in late 1969, if that will help you in your search.

Huck
    I'm, like, 95% sure mine's mahogany... Guess it was all optional. Well I'd like to be wrong in a way, or not... !!

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    My band's website

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    I'm, like, 95% sure mine's mahogany... Guess it was all optional. Well I'd like to be wrong in a way, or not... !!
    I recall I've read a description somewhere and it was mentioned that fretboard is Brazilian Rosewood. Not sure if it was optional or all 0-18 has it or maybe description was innacurate. The sides and back should be mahogany of course, as in all 18 models of Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Pekar View Post
    I recall I've read a description somewhere and it was mentioned that fretboard is Brazilian Rosewood. Not sure if it was optional or all 0-18 has it or maybe description was innacurate. The sides and back should be mahogany of course, as in all 18 models of Martin.
    It took me a brainwave... damn it!!

My band's website

So I think for a reasonable new build do try Ryan @Deadmill Guitars - he's new to it all but my gosh... the prototype was just the prettiest sounding CGDA strung tenor I've played in a long time. My McIlroy originally came as a CGDA tuned tenor - with HEAVY strings for that job. I tend to prefer my tenors in GDAE, no matter how hard I try to like CGDA.. I find that the tuning feels a bit weedy for me normally. He's on instagram btw Roman.

My band's website

This forum rocks, I've already got some great responses / advices, thank you!
    One addition to the initial topic - if you happen to know people in NL who happened to have Martin 0-18T even though they not willing to sale, let me know. If I could at least try one to see if that's something I'd like to have it'd be already be a great help

I don't but again you could try seeing if Rudi & the team know anyone?
    Do love TFOA. Super people

My band's website

I don't but again you could try seeing if Rudi & the team know anyone?
    Do love TFOA. Super people
    Yep in contact with him, and agree - they're super people, I wish I were closer to them

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Pekar View Post
    The 18 series guitars, pre-1969, would've had Brazilian rosewood for the headstock overlay, the fretboard and the bridge as far as I know. I just flew back to Ireland from the States with my '69 00-18 three months ago and was fretting a wee bit re: CITES, but not a bother getting through Customs with it - whew!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

13. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    The 18 series guitars, pre-1969, would've had Brazilian rosewood for the headstock overlay, the fretboard and the bridge as far as I know.
    Yep Jill, that is my understanding and experience as well.

Sorry for the tangent - but a limited run of '38-'43 instruments (mostly 15 series) had this headstock veneer. (I like pearloid headstock veneers so this is cool to me.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Martin41_015_039.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	291.8 KB 
ID:	189586
    "Fiberloid tortoise shell colored head veneer"

http://vintagemartin.com/headstocks.html

Huck

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huck For This Useful Post:

Does it matter if you're carrying a vintage instrument so much re: CITES?
    I'm thinking about how Ivory can't be traded -but at a certain age it's deemed of historical interest, so the rules I think may be different then.

My band's website

Does it matter if you're carrying a vintage instrument so much re: CITES?
    I'm thinking about how Ivory can't be traded -but at a certain age it's deemed of historical interest, so the rules I think may be different then.
    You know, I've read so many different things about it I'm not really sure, but what I do know is that the recent changes they brought in as regards loosening CITES restrictions still didn't cover Brazilian rosewood if I understand correctly. I'd heard a few horror stories of folks having their vintage Martin guitars seized because customs officers themselves weren't really sure what the exact rules were, so it did have my heart thumping a wee bit at the airport!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

18. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

quickly googled it and found this - https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/blog/201...ewood-guitars/

not sure how correct they are but they claim that
    According to the CITES law you can still travel freely with your guitar, by road or air, as long as you are with it and it has less than 10kg or 22lbs of regulated (rosewood) materials. This means you can visit countries outside the EU and buy a guitar and bring it back with you on the plane. So if you are in the USA and you see a cool guitar in a store, you are free to bring it back with you on the plane without CITES certification.

on the other hand - here's much more recent article on TFOA - https://www.tfoa.eu/en/blogs/blog/ci...nd-fairytales/ and their interpretation is that you're risking losing your guitar if there's BR in it and you don't have certificate during crossing the border.