Thread: Can a Luthier fix this?

Default Can a Luthier fix this?

I purchased an Eastland 315 from a private seller and it arrived today, but the scroll was broken off in shipment. It was insured through UPS, so I will try to file a claim, but the real question I have is can a Luthier return this to near perfect condition?

I realize that I can probably glue it on myself, but would rather not risk screwing it up worse, so that's why I was inquiring from the forum on options?

There is no other damage and it is in mint condition otherwise.

anyone familiar with a mandolin luthier in Austin, Texas PLEASE let me know. I also plan on having it set up as well.

Thanks for any suggestions

Kenn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oh No!.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	189650  
    Last edited by MandoKenn; Nov-04-2020 at 7:00pm.

Default Re: Can a Luthier fix this?

This is a fairly routine repair for a luthier. I doubt it would even be very expensive. However it will never be “like new”. The line where the repair is will always be visible. The glue line can be minimized but not eliminated.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Only about 35,000 of us have asked the same question, and the answer is. "Yes, but not just any luthier." I'd question one who hasn't seen an F-style before, or especially one, like many, who does mostly electric guitars.

I'm fairly handy at such stuff so, when my turn came around, I figured it should be easy, except that proper gluing of wood requires clamping, and... the angles beat the heck outta me. Rather than take a month or two inventing a clamping mechanism, the good folks at Retrofret in Brooklyn did a great job. Specifically, it was Mamie Minsch, who's had a monthly repair article in Acoutic Guitar mag for the past year or two. I believe she left RF to start Brooklyn Lutherie, but I'd trust the folks at either place; but that's probably not much help to you. Which leads me to:

Folks who identify geographic location in their Cafe profile tend to generate a lot more useful suggestions than do those who could live anywhere!
    Last edited by EdHanrahan; Nov-04-2020 at 8:10pm.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Thanks Ed, I am a new player. To respond to your comment, I live in Austin, Texas (I updated my post to reflect that...thanks again)

Kenn

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MandoKenn View Post
    I purchased an Eastland 315 from a private seller and it arrived today, but the scroll was broken off in shipment. It was insured through UPS, so I will try to file a claim, but the real question I have is can a Luthier return this to near perfect condition?

I realize that I can probably glue it on myself, but would rather not risk screwing it up worse, so that's why I was inquiring from the forum on options?

There is no other damage and it is in mint condition otherwise.

Kenn
    If you do it yourself, make sure you do it right. The worst thing for a luthier is to correct the bad "repairs" people do. It can sometimes be impossible to make a decent repair after a bodge "repair".
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

I glued mine back on when that happened to my old Kentucky 675-S, but there was still some binding intact that made clamping it much easier. And, I didn’t care about the glue line showing. If you don’t get any other good suggestions here, check with Fiddler’s Green. If their crew doesn’t want to do it I’m sure they can steer you in the right direction. Nice folks to deal with as well. NFI, but I bought my Rigel CT-110 from them last year.
    Chuck

Of course, the difference with an easy job like this is how invisible the repair is, something like that can be made invisible by a good repairer, it can look pretty bad if done by an amateur

Steve

Blog Entries

Collings guitars in Austin may be able to help. Their fit and finish work is renowned for it's cleanliness. They may NOT be able to help through their service center but may recommend someone locally who does the work or one of their workers may do stuff on the side. It certainly doesn't hurt to call.

You could, of course, leave it and call it the Monroe Loar Model Eastman and try to increase it's value on resale.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I had that happen so I stained the wood where it broke and said it was a Bill Monroe model Eastman. I sold it to a young man who didn't care and he even has the piece that broke off!

Adrian Minarovic

Good luthier can glue it back with no visible glue line (if it is clean untampered break) but the satin finish will still show a hairline crack. Gloss finish would be easier to repair by filling and buffing the cracked finish but you cannot do that on satin. You can have the face of the headstock oversprayed with new layer of satin finish to hide the repair. I would use strong HHG and hold it in place aligned by hand till the glue grabs, then let it dry in safe place. Clamping of scroll like this one holding on small surface is very tricky even with a sophisticated fixture.
    Adrian

The fixture doesn't have to be that sophisticated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	189674

12. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

mirwa 

Sad but by a skilled craftsman it can be repaired !