Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Which brand to pick up if i'm a big fan of classic music.

  1. #1

    Default Which brand to pick up if i'm a big fan of classic music.

    Hi,everyone, i'm new here.

    Recently i decided to learn mandolin,
    and in the past the only instrument i learnt was harmonica.

    As for me, harmonica did not make a very lovable sound, so i decided to play other instruments which could bring a nostalgic memory of the past when played solo.

    Then i decided to play oval mandolin.

    Since now i'm not convenient to personally check the performance of these brands, such as Collings, Kentucky.... or even if i could, i'm not capable of distinguish the subtlety among them.

    So here i am, wish the fellow musicians could give some advice on how to pick up an oval mandolin.

    By the way my budget is less than 4000$.
    Last edited by qofgxnm7b; Nov-07-2020 at 9:47pm.

  2. #2
    Mando-Accumulator Jim Garber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    27,983

    Default Re: Which brand to pick up if i'm a big fan of classic music.

    First, where a do you live? That might help to direct you on where to buy a mandolin.

    Have you ever played a mandolin at all? Can you borrow or at least try a mandolin or any kind from a friend? Aside from your harmonica have you studied any music I your life.

    A $4000 mandolin could be quite nice but if it were me, I would spend less and get a decent mandolin from a good store that will set it up properly. Then once your are sure you will follow through and like the mandolin you will be able to tell which is a good one in your under $4000 price range.

    As far as classical music: you can actually play it on any mandolin but there are some nice oval hole ones and those can certainly be fine for classical music.
    Jim

    My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    2018 Campanella A-5 -- 2007 Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

  3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:


  4. #3

    Default Re: Which brand to pick up if i'm a big fan of classic music.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    First, where a do you live? That might help to direct you on where to buy a mandolin.

    Have you ever played a mandolin at all? Can you borrow or at least try a mandolin or any kind from a friend? Aside from your harmonica have you studied any music I your life.

    A $4000 mandolin could be quite nice but if it were me, I would spend less and get a decent mandolin from a good store that will set it up properly. Then once your are sure you will follow through and like the mandolin you will be able to tell which is a good one in your under $4000 price range.

    As far as classical music: you can actually play it on any mandolin but there are some nice oval hole ones and those can certainly be fine for classical music.
    Thank you for the reply!

    I work in Japan now,and, actually, i have learnt two instruments,
    one is harmonica by self-learning for one year, another is classic guitar for one year,
    however, guitar was forced to learn by my parents, so i didn't consider i "played" guitar.
    My parents thought i could learn guitar and play with singing, but i hated singing and bluegrass or so.

    I hope i could play some classic solo without singing,
    i did have chances to listen to the performance of classic stringed instruments, which always gave me a feeling like, like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH3uzb2GLPM

    I know buying a 4000$ mandolin at the first time is crazy, i just try to say that i always have the resolution to play for a life time.



    I only find one place selling collings in Japan, it's located in Tokyo.
    https://www.taurus-corpo.com/collings-mandolins

  5. #4
    Registered User Nick Gellie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Orgiva, Spain
    Posts
    1,369

    Default Re: Which brand to pick up if i'm a big fan of classic music.

    An Eastman 504 might do the trick.
    Nic Gellie

  6. #5

    Default Re: Which brand to pick up if i'm a big fan of classic music.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    An Eastman 504 might do the trick.
    Thank you for the reply!

    I have marked it.

  7. #6
    Unfamous String Buster Beanzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cornwall & London
    Posts
    2,723
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Which brand to pick up if i'm a big fan of classic music.

    If you intend to go on to play classical music with other people in Japan, ensembles & maybe even orchestral music, then there would be a strong case for buying a bowl-backed mandolin as that would be the general expectation in that scene.
    You may want to check out the Mandolin Melodies Museum in Nagoya to get a flavour for the instrument in a Japanese context http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~mandolin/ they have a page of links to local societies where you might find some good guidance (not updated recently)

    Also this page by Michael Richenbach who posts on here is very good
    http://www.mandoisland.de/japan/eng_..._in_japan.html
    Last edited by Beanzy; Nov-08-2020 at 2:03am.
    Eoin



    "Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

  8. #7

    Default Re: Which brand to pick up if i'm a big fan of classic music.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    If you intend to go on to play classical music with other people in Japan, ensembles & maybe even orchestral music, then there would be a strong case for buying a bowl-backed mandolin as that would be the general expectation in that scene.
    You may want to check out the Mandolin Melodies Museum in Nagoya to get a flavour for the instrument in a Japanese context http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~mandolin/ they have a page of links to local societies where you might find some good guidance http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~mandolin/link_e.htm there are broken links as it hasn't been updated recently.

    also http://www.mandoisland.de/japan/eng_..._in_japan.html
    Thank you for the reply!

    I know this a Japanese variation of mandolin, that bowl-backed mandolin you just mentioned,
    however i'm never a big fan of Japanese culture, i do watch their anime and that is good.

    I prefer European classic music not Japnese classic music(和風) .
    That's why i consider to take the lesson from Caterina Lichtenberg instead of Mike Marshall :
    https://artistworks.com/mandolin-lessons

  9. #8
    Unfamous String Buster Beanzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cornwall & London
    Posts
    2,723
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Which brand to pick up if i'm a big fan of classic music.

    Check out the Classical section on here so. There are some great threads about many interesting different approaches by artists worldwide.
    There have been some innovative mandolins building developments by people like Nigel Dean & Campanella etc.

    It would be aiming high, but instinct at your budget would be to see if you could find a Lyon & Healy Style A or C vintage mandolin, they are really versatile and would fit in to so many contexts.

    A Joey Campanella 'Due' two point would be very good too. http://www.campanellastrings.com/2012-due-mandolin
    Eoin



    "Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

  10. #9

    Default Re: Which brand to pick up if i'm a big fan of classic music.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    Check out the Classical section on here so. There are some great threads about many interesting different approaches by artists worldwide.
    There have been some innovative mandolins building developments by people like Nigel Dean & Campanella etc.

    It would be aiming high, but instinct at your budget would be to see if you could find a Lyon & Healy Style A or C vintage mandolin, they are really versatile and would fit in to so many contexts.

    A Joey Campanella 'Due' two point would be very good too. http://www.campanellastrings.com/2012-due-mandolin

    Thank you for the reply!

    I will make further investigation of these.

  11. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,519

    Default Re: Which brand to pick up if i'm a big fan of classic music.

    Since you are just beginning I also would recommend buying a less expensive oval just in case you discover a mandolin isn't what you want to learn ! Eastman would be a good choice and a used one would be wise !
    My two favorite pastimes are drinking wine and playing the mandolin but most of my friends would rather hear me drink wine! Adapted from quote by Mark Twain------supposedly !

  12. #11

    Default Re: Which brand to pick up if i'm a big fan of classic music.

    Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Since you are just beginning I also would recommend buying a less expensive oval just in case you discover a mandolin isn't what you want to learn ! Eastman would be a good choice and a used one would be wise !
    Thank you for the reply!

    but a used one....

    I could try a used one in instrument shop, and i think i could afford the price of a starter level.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •