Thread: Players/Recordings Using DAEA Tuning?

Default Players/Recordings Using DAEA Tuning?

I have been exploring DAEA tuning on tenor guitar and tenor banjo recently, and really enjoying it. The range typically used in Irish tunes is tidily available in first position, and I can draw on bouzouki chord shapes when I want to.

I've tried to find recordings of others using this tuning, for examples and inspiration, but am not coming up with much. Who is out there using this tuning? Do any of you know of recordings/videos where DAEA tuning was used? (Happy to hear of mandola examples, as well as tenor guitar or banjo.)

Thanks!

Default Re: Players/Recordings Using DAEA Tuning?

I'm not aware of recordings, but I used to use CGDA with capo on 2nd fret on my tenor banjo, and sometimes I retuned it to CGDG to get more old-time feeling, so with capo on 2nd it was DAEA. I've mostly used that high string as a drone. I've moved to standard "irish" tuning for banjo now cause I really like this low G.

I still tune my Gibson tenor lute CGDA and play tunes with capo on 2nd (DAEB) and 7th (GDAE), but rarely retune first string to G.
    For capo on 2nd fret I think it doesn't really matter for irish tunes - the tunes fit mostly on lower 3 strings (DAE). And it doesn't matter much if your highest string is B or A cause you don't really have to use it.
    But for capo on 7th fret I really prefer to have standard mandolin tuning and therefor I keep my lute in CGDA.

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

plenty ITM crew on here I'm sure they tend to know!
    There is a forum section for that, so you might see more traffic there - doesn't matter if it's paired strings or not. Also there's the banjo hangout....
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    plenty ITM crew on here I'm sure they tend to know!
    There is a forum section for that, so you might see more traffic there - doesn't matter if it's paired strings or not.
    Hi Ben,

Lord Badger Rob is right, plenty to check out here at the Cafe.
    Google search "DAEA tuning site:www.mandolincafe.com"

https://www.google.com/search?q=DAEA...w=1280&bih=695

Good luck - I think alternate tunings are a lot of fun!
    Huck

Thanks for the responses, all. Still curious about recordings, so perhaps I'll take Lord Badger Rob's suggestion and ask the question again in the ITM forum.

I have a 17 fret tenor banjo tuned DAEA and my 19 fret tuned CGDG (capo 2 for sessions). I also have my tenor guitar tuned CGDG. I prefer not to tune the high string up to A on the longer 23 inch scale instruments. Plus, if I'm singing, it's more versatile for me to be able to play in C.

Steve Knightly and another of his bandmates play tenor guitars tuned CGDG.

I intend to record a video of my tenor one of these days but here is me playing Mandola in CGDG:

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Ashton For This Useful Post:

dburtnettfox 

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

There's Knightley telling me no one he knows finger picks tenor much. That's my default mode. Naughty Knightley!
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Thanks, Greg! I enjoyed your rendition of Pipe On the Hob, and will watch the Steve Knightly video when I have a bit of time.