Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The sheer inexpressible delight of stumbling across a new tune...

Default Re: The sheer inexpressible delight of stumbling across a new tun

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Yes. They are so unashamedly happy.
    They are! But not all of them. There are a handful of "dark" minor key hornpipes that are some of my absolute favorites in the Irish repertoire.

This is one pair of "dark" hornpipes I'm working on with flute but it sits fine on mandolin. Kevin Burke is getting a great lift in the move from G dorian for Caisleán An Óir to The Humours Of Tullycrine in A dorian (which he calls Bobby Casey's here), but it also works if you play both in A dorian (which I'm doing on flute just because it's easier).

This is another great "dark" hornpipe -- Galway Bay, the second one in this set by Matt Molloy. It starts out typically hornpipe happy with Second Star and then goes darker for Galway Bay. Kevin Burke also does this one in G dorian:

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Lovely tune Aidan, personally I think it has a little bit of Morris in it (complement! ), just enough, best played as a duet, it defines two threads that weave together and invite an occasional improvised third harmony. The first part is ambiguous and surprising enough to make you want to go back and tell or embellish the melody differently. It even has that feeling in some classical tunes where one instrument can stop playing but you can still hear it’s voice in the background . It’s like a joyful family session tune.

4. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    They are! But not all of them. There are a handful of "dark" minor key hornpipes that are some of my absolute favorites in the Irish repertoire.

This is one pair of "dark" hornpipes I'm working on.
    Interesting! I know that one. Or I used to know it. I have that album. Hmmmm. Is that dark? It sure is serious and less playful than one thinks when one expects a horpipe. Has "gravitas". I am going to dig that out here tonight and work on it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

6. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan Crossey View Post
    So... for what it's worth, here's a link to an mp3 of a sketchy recording of me playing The Barrow Banks one time through. Normally I wouldn't attempt to record a tune until it felt a little bit more "lived in". However this to my ears is such a well constructed melody (as you'd expect from Sean Ryan) that I felt the urge to share it with those who aren't able to pick the tune up from the dots or abc.

Focus not on the playing - which is up to (or down to!) my usual clunky standard - but on the tune. :-)

https://crosseyirishmandolin.files.w...rrow-banks.mp3

I'd be grateful to know your thoughts. Have I over-reacted to a perfectly run of the mill hornpipe? Or is it indeed a thing of rare beauty and savage charm? (Other options are available...)

Aidan

Aidan
    You are not over reacting sir, that is a cracker of a tune! Cheers for posting it!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

OK, now i have to go back and actually learn Tullycrine and Galway Bay, which I've played but not memorized.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305