Thread: Fender Tenor Tele Hard Case/Gig Bag

Default Fender Tenor Tele Hard Case/Gig Bag

Hey everyone! I've got a bit of a dilemma. I'm flying back to Australia from Europe in a few weeks and I have a few guitars I am planning on shipping back with me. In particular, I have a lovely Fender Tenor Telecaster that I want to bring back with me. Unlike my other guitars, which will be sent via removalist, I think my Tenor is small enough that I can carry it on with me as hand luggage (and Singapore Airlines seem to have a good policy on this), but just in case it must be checked in, I was wondering whether you have any recommendations on a decent hard case or gig bag that could survive being checked in. Thanks!

2. The following members say thank you to Krabo for this post:

Default Re: Fender Tenor Tele Hard Case/Gig Bag

If you have to check, definitely go with a hard case. My Reunion Blues gig bag is about as beefy as I’ve seen, and I wouldn’t trust it with airline baggage. Feel similarly about a Travelite I used to have.

If they will allow you to pay to board early so that you’re assured overhead bin space, do it, but keep an eye on it for the rest of boarding. I almost had a mandolin crushed by a lady who was either too short to see it or just didn’t care. Had to go Dikembe Mutombo on her bag (then helped her put it elsewhere and put the mando under seat for the remainder of the flight).

As for hard cases, Calton, Hoffee, etc, have great reps, but are expensive...
    Chuck

4. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Thanks CES! Do you think a classic guitar hardcase might do the trick? I've been looking around and I think with a few t-shirts it might just fit. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Krabo View Post
    ...with a few t-shirts it might just fit.
    Baby Taylor / Martin LX Guitar Hardshell Case
    Model: 1SKB-300

Instrument Max Dims
    Body Length: 16.00 in (40.64 cm)
    Body Depth: 4.25 in (10.80 cm)
    Lower Bout: 12.50 in (31.75 cm)
    Upper Bout: 9.25 in (23.50 cm)
    http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...set=&c=83&s=75

Take a look at post #196 (Mar-27-2020); kmmando did a bit more than a few t-shirts. A few t-shirts or a towel should work just fine to get you to your destination. https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...nor-Tele/page8

Huck

7. The following members say thank you to Huck for this post:

Forgot to attach this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02780 small.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	423.8 KB 
ID:	189712

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huck For This Useful Post:

Huck, that case is perfect. I've just ordered one, along with some foam. Thanks!

Folks - good info., thanks. Specs say upper bout cavity is 9.25" and I'm measuring closer to 9.75" on my Tenor. Problem? If it's a tight fit, that's good, obviously but there's a limit
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Fender Tenor Telecaster (GDAE)
    Collings O1A
    Recording King Tenor Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Krabo View Post
    Huck, that case is perfect. I've just ordered one, along with some foam. Thanks!
    Glad to hear Krabo, you're most welcome - safe journey.

Thanks to kmmando, Kevin did all the work! I just followed his lead.

Huck