Thread: Electric pickup noise at part volume.

Default Electric pickup noise at part volume.

Little bit of a strange thing with my home build. I've fitted a basic magnetic pickup and a volume potentiometer, and whilst it's reasonable at full volume, if I turn the volume knob down just a tad it quickly gets noticeably noisy with hum/general interference, with the noise dimishing slowly as it goes down to zero. The wiring is of the simplest, shielded cable to each end of a 250k volume pot, shielded cable to output jack. Strings aren't earthed (impractical with my bridge design) , but pickup and volume pot are.

It's the bit about no noise when on full volume and appearing when the pot is backed off that puzzles me.

Default Re: Electric pickup noise at part volume.

The shielded cable should go to the end and middle, with the other end grounded to the pot. Try that and see what happens.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

You will have to find a way to ground (earth) thoge strings by some method. It is essential if you are using magnetic pickups.
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

Blog Entries

I successfully grounded/earthed the strings of my first mandolin, the acoustic-electric Fender. A wire (E string piece) tucked under the washer on the output jack ran to the endpin, where it contacted the metal stringholder plate of the tailpiece by again tucking under.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

I duplicated the problem with an electric guitar, so it must be something very strange in the environment/amp/cable. As a result I've stopped worrying for the moment.

Earthing the strings would be ideal, but would mean completely reworking my tail piece, which is wood with individual metal pins.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCh View Post
    I duplicated the problem with an electric guitar, so it must be something very strange in the environment/amp/cable. As a result I've stopped worrying for the moment.

Earthing the strings would be ideal, but would mean completely reworking my tail piece, which is wood with individual metal pins.

-could just use a shielded temporary external earth lead attached to the strings with crocodile clips to isolate the problem? If that works then go for it.