Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wet Tuning?

Default Re: Wet Tuning?

Quote Originally Posted by standing.wav View Post
    Peterson has a "sweetener" for mandolin, but I haven't used it. Does anyone know if it is intended to produce a wet effect?
    No, it’s supposed to make an instrument sound more in tune than if you tuned the strings to an equal temperament. There are numerous mathematical explanations for this which, in 50 years of playing have largely passed me by. If you play guitar and have ever noticed that you need to tune the B string slightly flat, you’ll know what I mean.

As far as “wet” tuning is concerned, my observation is that it is often used by beginners, people who’ve never learned to tune properly and it was more popular before the electronic tuner was invented as for me, I’ll worry about it when I’ve exhausted the possibilities of playing in tune.

2. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    if the pick arrives slowly then the two strings will be released to vibrate into each other?
    Even if the strings would be picked exactly synchronously, they'd be out of sync after, say, 100 oscillations, i.e. after less than one second. If they are long enough and close enough together they'll collide, no matter what you do.
    But that zing is not my motivation for wet tuning, it's the booming quality that comes with the pulse, and which we are lucky enough not to know from a hundred B17s overhead, each with four engines almost in tune but not quite.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    it's the booming quality that comes with the pulse, and which we are lucky enough not to know from a hundred B17s overhead, each with four engines almost in tune but not quite.
    Yeah, I'd imagine a hundred 'Fortresses' overhead would be a wet-tuned orchestra. And one's opinion of that sound would depend largely on which end of the mission you're on when you hear them coming.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    And one's opinion of that sound would depend largely on which end of the mission you're on when you hear them coming.
    Right, I've experienced that difference even in Irish sessions. It's an ambivalence normally reserved for banjo players.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

6. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Don’t you love that moment in a session when, between tunes, one of the more experienced and respected fiddlers looks at his fiddle with a confused expression, and starts playing the fourth string, then the first string, over and over again?
    ‘What’s wrong my fiddle, it’s not my tuning because I’ve just checked it with the box player?!’

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Don’t you love that moment in a session when, between tunes, one of the more experienced and respected fiddlers looks at his fiddle with a confused expression, and starts playing the fourth string, then the first string, over and over again?
    ‘What’s wrong my fiddle, it’s not my tuning because I’ve just checked it with the box player?!’
    Yes, but that is not because of the wet box. It's because the box is tuned in equal temperament, while a fiddler likes to have pure fifths for the sake of resonance between strings. Mandolin players have the same problem - I solve it by having G and D slightly below what the electronic tuner says, A spot-on, and E slightly above.

9. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post: