Thread: Getting to play mando in my band

Default Getting to play mando in my band

I've been with a band now for about four months, rehearsing (but not gigging) regularly -- they do a nice mix of up-tempo country and classic rock. I'm the new lead vocalist/rhythm guitarist, but we realized there's plenty of room in the mix for some mandolin, and of course it complements our guitars and keyboards very nicely. I'm no expert player, but get around pretty well with all the main chord groups (guess I'm a "rhythm mandolinist!") and it's fitting really well and being very well received by bandmates. Sure adding a cool new element to playing, right now on about 8-9 songs -- having a blast with it! Playing a Godin A8, by the way... Wish me luck -- tons more to learn!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to esslewis For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Getting to play mando in my band

Livin’ the dream.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

4. The following members say thank you to A-board for this post:

Congratulations !

6. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

I'm happy for you. It's nice to hear from someone who's getting to play with their band, even under restricted conditions. I like my Godin A8 very much. If you ever think of upgrading, listen to Eva Scow's playing before you buy another mandolin.

If the links don't work, search YouTube for "Eva Scow/ After You've Gone" .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl6o...hannel=EvaScow

Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by esslewis View Post
    I've been with a band now for about four months, rehearsing (but not gigging) regularly -- they do a nice mix of up-tempo country and classic rock. I'm the new lead vocalist/rhythm guitarist, but we realized there's plenty of room in the mix for some mandolin, and of course it complements our guitars and keyboards very nicely. I'm no expert player, but get around pretty well with all the main chord groups (guess I'm a "rhythm mandolinist!") and it's fitting really well and being very well received by bandmates. Sure adding a cool new element to playing, right now on about 8-9 songs -- having a blast with it! Playing a Godin A8, by the way... Wish me luck -- tons more to learn!
    This post makes me happy. Best of luck to you! May we all remember that we always have "tons more to learn!"
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.

10. The following members say thank you to Sheila Lagrand for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    I'm happy for you. It's nice to hear from someone who's getting to play with their band, even under restricted conditions. I like my Godin A8 very much. If you ever think of upgrading, listen to Eva Scow's playing before you buy another mandolin.
    VERY cool! Thanks for sharing. I had though a bit about going to something a little more traditional looking, but I'm not dissatisfied with my A8 in any way, and it's doing its job quite well thus far. And it'll be a long time before my playing will deserve something better! Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you! It's sure a blast to play...

12. The following members say thank you to esslewis for this post:

Ranald 

That is awesome to hear! I’m actually on a bit of a similar path, I normally play harmonica and some lead vocals and harmonies with my band (classic rock, blues, folk and country also) but bought a cheap mando when Covid hit to see if I’d learn to play it (my first stringed instrument). I’ve been hitting it for about four months and have fallen in love with it so I just ordered an Eastman 605 so I can plug in with the band. I’m up to about a dozen songs I can play and sing decently, half of them with some harp rack accompaniment (likewise pretty much rhythm mando chording). I figure another couple of months and I’ll include them in some of our gigs.

14. The following members say thank you to NDO for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by NDO View Post
    That is awesome to hear! I’m actually on a bit of a similar path, I normally play harmonica and some lead vocals and harmonies with my band (classic rock, blues, folk and country also) but bought a cheap mando when Covid hit to see if I’d learn to play it (my first stringed instrument). I’ve been hitting it for about four months and have fallen in love with it so I just ordered an Eastman 605 so I can plug in with the band. I’m up to about a dozen songs I can play and sing decently, half of them with some harp rack accompaniment (likewise pretty much rhythm mando chording). I figure another couple of months and I’ll include them in some of our gigs.
    I'd love to hear something with mandolin and harmonica, that sounds so cool. Please share when you're ready!

Sounds cool esslewis! I’ll be interested in the outcome!

17. The following members say thank you to kookaburra for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post

If the links don't work, search YouTube for "Eva Scow/ After You've Gone" .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl6o...hannel=EvaScow

Great sound and playing !!

19. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Ranald 

Which classic rock songs are you playing the mando on?

I should have elaborated on that -- the band does some classic rock but so far we're only using mando with country-ish stuff. Copperhead Road would be the closest thing to rock. Otherwise, some Kenny Chesney (Beer in Mexico), Lady Antebellum (Love Don't Live Here), John Pardi (Head Over Boots), Radney Foster (Nobody Wins), Chris Stapleton (Broken Halos), Darius Rucker (Wagon Wheel), Deana Carter (Strawberry Wine), Keith Urban (Somebody Like You). One of the things mando is doing for us is adding some dynamics to the sound a lot, instead of adding a third guitar (me) to the mix and getting more "audio stuff" to cram into the already well-filled guitar-frequency range. Mando accents/complements that very well.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks -- Hopefully something to share soon...