Thread: Heron Creek on Baltimore Craigs

Default Heron Creek on Baltimore Craigs

My brother spotted this. I am not familiar with the builder Irv Smoot, but the figure in the wood sure is eye catching. https://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg...228010796.html
    those little wires are like cheese cutters.

Default Re: Heron Creek on Baltimore Craigs

Looks like a lot of mando (and extras) for the money!

Facebook page for the luthier.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I have a Heron Creek mandolin and Irv Smoot was great to deal with during the purchase process. My mandolin is a quality handmade instrument.

Doc

Here's another Craigslist listing on a Heron Creek from only a few days ago I believe. Another from Baltimore.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg...279810999.html

It prompted me to look up the builder, call him up and then make arrangements to drive down and see him on yesterday, February 24th. Irv Smoot has an absolutely beautiful location down there in Saint Mary's County Maryland, back in the woods on a creek. Just a really nice guy too. About two hours from where I live in Annapolis.
    And he builds some fine mandolins also. We sat on his porch and I played each of the three builds he had for sale. He had two new builds which can be seen at his Facebook page. Addy Spruce, "Natural" finish, with Maple back sides, and neck. Full Tortoiseshell Binding, Grover Tuners and Compound Radius Board.
    The two new builds sounded great even with older strings on, and being outside. Great tone and volume. Good price point also, $1600.00.
    I wasn't looking to spend that much at this time, but he did have a really good sounding and great looking used model from 2011 that was his personal mandolin. I took that home for $1000.00. I call it "Red" for obvious reasons. Strung it up with EJ 74s and it sounds just great. Has an Engleman top. I'll show a picture here. It was Irv's 5th build from 2011. Great tone and volume, though the new builds did sound much better. The "Natural" finish New Builds looked to have an almost Caramel tone to them. Could have been the bright sunlight?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heron Creek #5.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	948.1 KB 
ID:	192291  
    Last edited by Bill Kammerzell; Feb-25-2021 at 2:26pm.
    Heron Creek "F" style #5 (2011)
    RAG "F" style #40 (2018)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Kammerzell For This Useful Post: