Thread: questions about Washburn m1sd

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default questions about Washburn m1sd

I was checking the specs on the website - I sometimes do for my instruments.

Anyway, two things I hadn’t noticed before became apparent to me

1) the fingerboard material is engineered wood. (I could have sworn it was rosewood)

2). The bridge is described as ‘alternative’. Again I’d never noticed this before.

https://www.washburn.com/product/m1sd/

I’m happy, very happy with the mando. I had it set up professionally so it plays really nicely. So this is more intellectual or curiosity based in regard to the discussion.

Is it possible the specs have changed? I bought the mandolin new from Nashville Sam ash in 2017. Its serial number suggests it to be a 2015. It had hung in the shop for a while

If not, what is an alternative bridge? It’s a standard Gibson style bridge. Would an upgrade benefit?

What are the issues and strengths of engineered wood?

Thanks in advance.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Default Re: questions about Washburn m1sd

Many instrument builders are using “Richlite” for fretboards which is a trade name for a particular form of engineered wood. As for an “alternative bridge”, this is clearly not the same as the other one they could have fitted.

Remember, the adverts are usually written by people who even less about mandolins that the person selling them.

3. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

This "Richlite" piqued my curiosity so I looked at the website. Made from resin infused recycled paper. One use (besides fretboards) is commercial bar tops. It looks like something I would be interested in investigating for my kitchen countertops.

Back to mandolins.

Similar to the HPL (high pressure laminate) they use to make some Little Martin guitars, I wonder? Commercially known as Formica.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quite a few years ago, one brand of electric guitar topped their instruments with “masonite”. In the UK it’s known as “hardboard”.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Similar to the HPL (high pressure laminate) they use to make some Little Martin guitars, I wonder? Commercially known as Formica.
    It is similar to HPL, both richlite and HPL laminate paper with durable resins. The HPL used for countertops and other Millwork is usually made in pretty thin panels, using kraft paper. Richlite is made in greater thicknesses using a high percentage of recycled paper.

Masonite is similar, as these are all composite resin panels, but Masonite is made using loose wood fibers rather than laminated paper.

There are numerous common brands of HPL, I’ve used Formica, Wilsonart & Nevamar ... though people often think of HPL as “Formica”. I’m not sure if Martin specifies which brand or brands of HPL they use.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Quite a few years ago, one brand of electric guitar topped their instruments with “masonite”. In the UK it’s known as “hardboard”.
    Danelectro, I believe...

Now those guitars are quite collectible, believe it or not. Of course, with solid-body electrics, you can stick the pickups on just about any material; remember the Ampeg "Dan Armstrong" Lucite instruments?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Danelectro, I believe...

Now those guitars are quite collectible, believe it or not. Of course, with solid-body electrics, you can stick the pickups on just about any material; remember the Ampeg "Dan Armstrong" Lucite instruments?
    Yes, Danelectro. I always remember a friend of mine saying “Clive brought me his “new” electric guitar round last week to do some work on and the top’s made of hardboard.”

11. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Martin has been using their version (Richlite) for some time. At one point it was supposedly to make export easier. My Martin D Jr. has a Richlite fingeboard and bridge and have had no problems with it. Holds up very well and doesn't hurt the sound of an instrument, IMO.

The bridge is probably not specified for the same import/export reason. Not sure what they are using. Might be worth experimenting with a new one if you can find a good ebony bridge and have it fitted at a reasonable price.

As to Danelectro, a couple of my favorite guitars were old Dano's. Was really into them when I pretended to play electric. Formica body, poplar necks and the cheap pot metal bridge with rosewood saddle. Really creates a unique tone which is one reason David Lindley liked them. Even Jimi Hendrix had one at some point.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Richlite is probably OK on new instruments but I can’t help but wonder whether it’ll hold up as well as wood in the long term - wear and tear, repairs, fretwork, refretting etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Richlite is probably OK on new instruments but I can’t help but wonder whether it’ll hold up as well as wood in the long term - wear and tear, repairs, fretwork, refretting etc.
    The repair folks I know have had no problems refretting it. And as other folks companies are turning to other alternatives (Gibson using walnut and baked maple) it's probably going to stay around.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

15. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post: