Thread: CMSA Convention in the Clouds

Default CMSA Convention in the Clouds

It's been years since I've sat in on fractions of a Classical Mandolin Society of America (CMSA) event, but I will be today through Sunday thanks to this year's virtual platform. Whom among you might I virtually "see" there?

Default Re: CMSA Convention in the Clouds

"It's been years since I've sat in on fractions of a Classical Mandolin Society of America (CMSA) event, but I will be today through Sunday thanks to this year's virtual platform. Whom among you might I virtually "see" there?"

Me (obviously). I will be there as a member of The Hampton Trio (we have a workshop this afternoon EST), host of the associated ZOOM Q & A. I will also be hosting a ZOOM "hangout" (as we call them) this evening (EST), the "Mandola Meetup". On Sunday, I will introduce the concert by Duo Korsak-Collet, host their Virtual Green Room, and also be in change of the mandola sectional for the virtual En Masse (John Goodin's "Heavens on Earth").
    Robert A. Margo

3. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

Eugene 

Of course, I expected you to be there in diverse capacities, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Of course, I expected you to be there in diverse capacities, Bob.
    Thanks. Please do check out the OnDemand videos, arranged in various folders; ditto, the Spotify playlists. Also the Awards page.

And Eugene: please visit the various discussion pages -- it would be great if you would comment on your recent instrument acquisitions (mandolin or guitar) and also the other categories (e.g. sheet music).
    Robert A. Margo

6. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

Eugene 

Thanks for the heads up. With this word, I'll put some effort into deliberate searching. My time is still pretty limited by day-job duties.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. With this word, I'll put some effort into deliberate searching. My time is still pretty limited by day-job duties.
    Keep in mind that everything (except maybe a short ZOOM or two) will be recorded and available for OnDemand (i.e. anytime) viewing on the convention website, as many times as you like, until the end of 2020. So, for example, if you miss a workshop today when it is being premiered (e.g. The Hampton Trio workshop is being premiered at 2:45 PM EST), you can watch it whenever -- later today, tomorrow, next week, and so on, until the end of 2020.
    Robert A. Margo

Cool. I'm still using this as an excuse for a half-day off from day-job concerns.

I will be in and out. Just finished the right hand workshop

Barry

Me too! Cheers again, Barry.

12. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

btrott 

I'm surprised they are charging $150 for non members to attend. I would have thought they might try to make this online event more accessible to draw new people in. the IBMAs took this approach and probably got a much bigger exposure than they might ever have gotten in person.

14. The following members say thank you to JH Murray for this post:

Eugene 

I enjoyed the first day. Right hand workshop gave enough to work on for quite a long time. I really enjoyed the visits to the mandolin shops in Japan and the live session with the shopkeepers. Enjoyed the Hampton Trio and the walk through of the parts. Well worth the price to me!
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

Quote Originally Posted by JH Murray View Post
    I'm surprised they are charging $150 for non members to attend. I would have thought they might try to make this online event more accessible to draw new people in. the IBMAs took this approach and probably got a much bigger exposure than they might ever have gotten in person.
    To be fair, the $150 includes membership. It was a good excuse for me to rejoin.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coronado View Post
    I enjoyed the first day. Right hand workshop gave enough to work on for quite a long time. I really enjoyed the visits to the mandolin shops in Japan and the live session with the shopkeepers. Enjoyed the Hampton Trio and the walk through of the parts. Well worth the price to me!
    Agreed. I really enjoyed the video and visit related to the Japanese boutiques.

Typically overcommitted, I only got to the Right Hand workshop with Sebatiaan late in the day. And here is a heads-up for folks: After watching the workshop, I tried to watch the follow-up Q&A session only to be told that the live Zoom meetings are not being filmed, i.e., you have to be there.

Joe

19. The following members say thank you to Joe Bartl for this post:

Eugene 

Blog Entries

IBMA = apples
    CMSA = oranges

Not a criticism of CMSA but IBMA is a very, very smart marketing, cutting edge social media presence that packs a punch way beyond their membership numbers and has paid full-time employees. CMSA is a volunteer organization with no paid employees as far as I'm aware.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Nov-14-2020 at 1:19pm.

21. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Eugene 

For mandocello players, we already saw Fabio Giudice's presentation, based on the Bickford Mandocello Method book recently modernized in bass clef by Ben Ash. As Bob said, recorded and available to registered members. I will hoist a MC Hangout discussion tonight (Saturday, 6pm pacific). We will follow up on Fabio's work and present some new music composed specific for the mandocello--not transcriptions or re-arrangements. Hope to see you there!
    jim

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Imhoff For This Useful Post:

btrottEugene 

I'm having a great time and learning a lot. I get the point that $150 for non-members might seem like a lot (I would have suggested a slightly lower price point) but attending the physical convention usually costs me between $1000-2000, depending on its location. So, for me, it's a real bargain.

Scott's point is well taken also. CMSA is wholly volunteer and the Board members put in lots of time and effort in a regular year. This year they've managed to come up with a winner, despite the plague.

Sebastian's right hand workshop yesterday was inspiring and the video tour of two Tokyo classical mandolin shops was priceless. The concerts have been excellent and I'm really looking forward to the open mic presentations that start in about half an hour.

I'm biased, of course, because I'm honored that my piece "Heavens On Earth" was chosen to be the en masse orchestra selection this year. I'm also honored that I was invited to participate in a couple of the open mic videos and one group, the legendary Mandobabes, is even playing another of my pieces.

CMSA isn't for everyone but it's always a great time for those who are inclined towards "classical" mandolin and this convention in the clouds is a great substitute for the annual party.

Thanks to everyone who is making it possible!

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Goodin For This Useful Post:

I don’t think there is any need to qualify the $150 cost for this event. It is way beyond my expectations. Along with my inscription I have repeat access and I get to meet fine people in this COVID strange new world. And of course the bonus of becoming a member for the year! The organizers did a wonderful job, the concerts are awesome and inspiring, and all in all a great value considering this would hardly cover the costs of a nice meal with wine at a restaurant which we can’t even go to.
    Congrats to all the organizers. You have responded to a crisis and presented a wonderful event.

27. The following members say thank you to Barry Canada for this post:

Eugene 

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    I'm having a great time and learning a lot.
    Scott's point is well taken also. CMSA is wholly volunteer and the Board members put in lots of time and effort in a regular year. This year they've managed to come up with a winner, despite the plague.
    Hey John, sorry you couldn't make the Mandocello Hangout, but we used your music--thank you so much. I did a quick screen share but told them to contact you or do a paypal rather then have me send free music to everybody.
    I told people I had discovered an "obscure composer" and was going to make you famous by including you in my session. I think they knew I was kidding--if not, I probably won't be invited back!
    Jim

29. The following members say thank you to Jim Imhoff for this post:

Eugene 

Hi Jim,

I'm sorry I missed the mandocello gathering, I really wanted to at least drop in but I got hung up (pun intended) in the post open mic hangout instead. Just like at the physical CMSA you still can't do everything at once.

I really enjoyed the cello group performances during open mic. Your piece was excellent and Gideon Freudmann's "Denmark" was very memorable.

Thanks for sharing my music despite my absence. I still hope to finish the fourth season of pieces this month and try and have a collection ready by year's end. We'll see.

Enjoy today's fun.

I thought the Virtual Convention was really good! I saw some great concerts; and helpful workshops; etc. What I would like to see is a way that
    some of the presentations could be shared with others. Eg. Matthlas Collet's workshop on Antonio Lauro was really good. I have a friend who plays some of Lauro's waltzes and I would love for her to be able to see the workshop.

32. The following members say thank you to Nick Royal for this post:

Eugene 

Speaking as someone who played a marginal role in the production (I hosted, but did not build, design, manage, or teach lessons), I understand the desire to spread the word and open the access. And I am sure the real workers behind this event--the board, the technicians, the teachers, the performers--appreciate the kudos. BUT three things:
    1.) I am building a 6 ft (social distance Thanksgiving dinner) maple table; I invested a lot of money in tools, wood, and woodworking classes. Should I build a whole lot of these and give it to everybody who likes it? Well... maybe I could do some habitat-humanity work or similar, but let's say somebody's cousin wants one. Should I give it to her?
    2.) I once asked a local music teacher about my volunteer tutoring her students (I taught AP Music Theory). She said she was just laid off after 12 years at her school due to funding cuts. Should I reward that district? Why would anybody join, pay dues, and support an organization that works hard world-wide to promote a musical experience if you can just get it for free? Which leads me to the obvious:
    3.) JOIN us. Of course some very worthy and seriously interested people might find the expense difficult, especially in lock-down unemployment times. If it had not been for the corona restrictions, all this business would have taken place in a fancy hotel in San Diego and would not be so readily available (to members) on line. People like me would have paid considerable travel and hotel as well as membership and registration. Artists would have been flown in from Italy and Netherlands.We got a great bargain this time, and I know people are discussing the options for future online access.
    I know the people who run and support this organization and they are working on scholarships, one-time options, outreach efforts...etc. My teacher offered to do more than he was asked for no additional fee, but the full schedule and contractual terms did not allow that.
    All I'm saying is we got a really good thing here, would love to share it with as many as we can, but we need support to do that. If there is a way to share some of the material in an equitable and fair way, we will probably be discussing that: As a semi-retired music education professor, I know I will.
    And Nick-- thank you again for the appreciation that is clear in your post, glad you found it so rewarding.

34. The following members say thank you to Jim Imhoff for this post:

Eugene