Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Types of Mandolin Collections

Default Types of Mandolin Collections

Over the years of being a Cafe member, I have noticed that there seems to be two different approaches to collecting. One buying different versions of a type of mandolin. For example, six different F5 grass mandolins. An Ellis F5, Collings F5, Gibson F5 MM are just examples. Another collection would be having examples of different types of mandolins, an F5, a Lyon and Healy type, an A4, an octave mandolin, mandola might be examples of this. My collection follows the second type. I just get enamored by a type and try to obtain the best of that type that I can afford.
    These are the two types that I have noticed. I am sure collectors, like Allen Hopkins, might have much more to add this concept. Chime in guys or gals.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

2. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

Default Re: Types of Mandolin Collections

Interesting question! I've tried to articulate the fences I'm putting around my collecting aspirations (cuz you can't buy 'em all!) For me, its a bit of both:
    • I'm looking for vintage resonator tenor guitars and mandolins (I have national, dobro, del vecchios, and some oddballs that have unique takes on resonators.
    • Then I'm building a collection of "one of each size" of vintage four-string banjos (Cello-banjo, short-necked tenor (in Irish tuning) , long-necked tenor, melody banjo, banjo-uke (in mando tuning) (starting with Gibson but I'm straying a bit).
    • And the same for mandolin family instruments (mando cello, mandola, mandolin (but maybe NOT mando-bass!)
    • And, finally, I'm trying to put together an archtop jazz collection, again, one of each size (tenor guitar, mandola, and mandolin)

All of these instruments are great for the genres in which I play (jug band, with some movement toward jazz, and NOT bluegrass).

Within these parameters, I'm hoping to sell-and-swap to build the collection I want, while TRYING not to get my head turned by every pretty (old) thing that I stumble upon.

But, as they say, good luck with that!

4. The following members say thank you to mjbee for this post:

... and a third type: just anything that appeals to the crazed collector. I hereby dub this "The Monkey Mind Collection." It works like this: I get some tiny itch of an interest in some oddball thing and the itch grows in the dark recesses of my mind to become a mild obsession leading to the equivalent of a wildfire. Sometimes it takes years for the flames to erupt, at other times pretty quickly. Some of it depends on my bank account being empty or full or just an opportunity to acquire something comes into view.

For instance, mjbee was instrumental (hah!) in my last acquisition. I had been thinking a bunch about checking out Chinese instruments that sort of resemble mandolins an he happened to see one for sale at a local music store. He even Facetimed me with it in hand and we talked about it. I took a chance and bought it. I actually was on the verge of ordering one from China but it would have cost at leadst three times what I paid for the one mjbee found for me. It really doesn't fit in any category—the only thread connecting it to anything else musical I own is that I own it. It does have strings and can easily be tuned to mandola tuning at the moment.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Another type... but it may or may not be a "collector" though.

A musician who collects tools to satisfy creative needs. I'd land here. I'm not looking for anything expensive, vintage, or interesting, per se. I'm looking for the right instruments to explore music and express myself.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zach Wilson For This Useful Post:

This has got me wondering, at what point does a group of mandolins become a "collection"?

Sorry if off topic or discussed before, just what my brain came up with in response to the original query. I don't think I would have consciously thought of my humble group of 3 mandolins as a collection, but neither could I say that it isn't one if somebody else called it that.

Maybe just a variation on the 2nd collection style (different types), but I have one main instrument of a certain type (f hole A) that was the best I could afford at the time, and a couple of backups or alternates of other types (f hole F style, Oval hole A style) that aren't necessarily the best I could afford at the time, but are enough to fill holes and keep me happy in certain situations. There was no guiding principle or drive to build a collection here though, it's more just the result of what seemed right at the time, and the fact that I have a hard time getting rid of things that I like.

10. The following members say thank you to Frost for this post:

Lol. Some of us are just obsessed.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Don't consider myself a "collector," more of an "accumulator." I have tried to [1] be diverse in my purchases, rather than obtaining several similar but subtly different mandolins [B] gather instruments that met current musical needs -- a mandola and an octave mandolin when I played in a Celtic band, an F-5 when I was playing more bluegrass, bowl-backs for when I do 19th-century historical programs, etc. [III] find instruments with reputations, pedigrees or unusual characteristics, among which I would list:

Larson Brothers Stahl mandola and mando-bass
    Waldo bowl-back mandocello
    Weber "sopranolin"
    Regal Octofone
    Howe-Orme mandolinetto
    Lehmann 5-course fanned-fret mandolin/dola (built for me)
    Merrill aluminum-bodied bowl-back

(I've long since given up trying to update the listing in my Cafe signature; maybe someday I'll do it.)

I probably have more mandolins than any other instrument, but I also have accumulated a fair number of guitars, banjos, ukuleles, and concertinas. Sometimes I'll see something and say, "Gee, I don't have one of those," and try to obtain it. Nowadays I try to trade a little-used instrument I already own, so that the pile of cases in my basement doesn't get any bigger. Honestly, since I bought the Stahl mandola two or three years ago, I haven't been tempted by anything I've seen, and I cut down on some of my (very nice) Eastman mandos, a DGM-1 and a MDA-615 mandola, trading them on other instruments.

And, of course, sometimes things just "fall into my lap," like the Sobell that I've strung as a "long-scale" mandola. English finger-style guitarist Martin Simpson, then living in Ithaca, had traded it in here on a vintage Gibson A-model that he planned to take back to the UK and sell at a nice profit. I walked into Stutzman's shop three days later, and Dave S wasn't sure that the "odd duck" would sell here in Rochester. Took me about 30 seconds to buy it, 35 or so years ago, and I'm still playing it. Carpe diem, as some Roman advised!

And, interestingly enough, for years my "everyday" mandolin has been a Strad-O-Lin, first a "rehabbed" one I bought for $50 and had repaired, now a slightly nicer one with replaced tuners. I take it to sing-arounds and parties, on non-musical trips, to impromptu jam sessions and such, and the Gibson F's and their higher-priced ilk sit in their cases for another couple months.

So, long story slightly shorter, no real overriding philosophy behind my mandolin etc. acquisitions. I've developed a pretty good eye for what's unusual and interesting, and for what I can use in my own musical endeavors. As I "cruise" through my mid-70's, my urge to add neat instruments to my store has diminished somewhat, and I start to reflect on what I should do with the ones I have -- to get them back into circulation, so some other musician can get the enjoyment from them, that I've gotten over 50+ years.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

14. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

I am not a collector. I am an early intermediate mandolin student with four incredibly great mandolins - because I am nuts about mandolins. Period. I chose these four because they are totally, totally, different in tone and playability. I did replace a Phoenix Neoclassical with a Collings MT2-V because the Phoenix was not sufficiently different from the LH (different of course, but not different enough). And I am bonkers over the Collings! Each of these mandolins is to me an entirely different playing experience. That is why I own four. I don't see any additions or changes in the future (really!).

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

16. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

And some of us just accumulate because. In many ways, could have, and should have stopped with just the A Jr. it's really all that's necessary for me, even though it doesn't get played much right now. Wanted more projection, so went f-hole Collings. Then wanted good vintage, so the Gibson arrived. Then wanted one with a pickup, Flatiron. Then had an itch for an F style, which turned into a quest for a Weber Gallatin mahogany back. Which ended when TMS posted a used one. The latter two ended up being recent purchases and somewhat spur of the moment buys.

And now am thinking whether I so consolidate and sell/trade two or three and get something "nice" instead. But that's the nature of my "collecting" for the past 30 plus years. Whether it's books, guitars or now mandolins.

Have to admit, I admire the folks that stick with one or two instruments and that's it. Would love to have that mental discipline.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

18. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    I am not a collector. <snip> I don't see any additions or changes in the future (really!).
    Really? Famous last words. You posted on the octave a very recent addition. Where’s your tenor mandola? Octave tuned tenor banjo or tenor guitar. We are watching you.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

20. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I've never thought of myself like this before but you might say I'm a "linear" collector. That is, I've owned many mandolins in time, sometimes just out of curiosity, but have then sold them to buy something else so that I never have more than three or four (other than the couple I've built). I've owned a number of bowlbacks, early flatbacks, inexpensive induced archtops (Stradolin, Harmony), some tenor guitars, one unique handmade mandolin from the 30s, etc. I've enjoyed having them for a while before passing them on (sometimes after repairing them). I haven't owned many vintage higher end mandolins such as L&H or Gibson F4s for fear of not being able to resell easily, but I'd like to. I have a Stradolin and a Regal canted-top on the way as well as a Harmony Tenor that I'm trading a banjo for (and which will be in my hands for a second time because I was sorry that I sold it). Does this make me a collector? Hmm.

I've wondered about real collectors so this thread is fascinating to me.
    Cary Fagan

22. The following members say thank you to Cary Fagan for this post:

Tim, you blew your cover. Lol.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

24. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Really? Famous last words. You posted on the octave a very recent addition. Where’s your tenor mandola? Octave tuned tenor banjo or tenor guitar. We are watching you.
    You left out those resophonicky do-hickey things.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Resident Hack

Mark me down as a "Tool Collector". I have one of each type of tool required. Currently for mando, I have one F-Style acoustic/electric for all performing and practice with other people. One strictly electric for practicing quietly. Been like this for a while. Originally, I was a bass player. My Gibson EB-0 carried me from my 16th birthday to "needing" a true long scale in my late twenties to needing a fretless acoustic in my early thirties.

I'd like to get a 'forever' mandolin soon and will justify not dumping my current performing model by calling it a campfire mando.

To me, a collection is anything more than one. Having even one mando is a privilege. Being able to have more than one is something the vast majority of the world will never know.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

27. The following members say thank you to Mitch Stein for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Tone .... someone that collects instruments that produce a different sonic palette. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

29. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

I've been guilty of sequential collecting through catch and release over the last 50 years, having more problems releasing than catching recently. It has allowed me to enjoy some wonderful instruments that have different tonalities, working in different bands and for self-enjoyment at home. Right now, I seem to be stuck on ff-hole carved top A or twin point mandolins. Oh, and the National style 1 (currently strung up with single strings and tuned like a mandola). Time to think about revisiting some Gibson oval holes or a Lyon & Healy? Hmm...

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I collect horsepower per square inch.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

32. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Great responses. My original concept has grown much by listening to you guys. Thanks,
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I've accumulated more than I've collected. But, all with the eye of finding "the one." It's funny to me, my primary instrument is fiddle/violin, and I found my one about 10 years ago. I hardly even look at other fiddles. (bows are another story) In a similar, slightly longer timeframe, I've acquired 3 ridiculously good mandolins. I also just got a 16" archtop from Jackson Cunningham that was a stark reminder, that when you find the one, the search really does stop. In that regard, I've taken a hard look at my mandolins and I know which one I pick up, basically every time I want to play mandolin. It may be time to trim it down a bit and focus on the instruments that call me.

I don't collect, though my wife would likely say something else in reference to my guitars...I do have a compulsion to attain the "best" one with modern approaches. So for instance, I perceive a modern Ellis Reserve as "better" than a Loar, simply because I don't think Loar had attained the highest version of the mandolin (maybe Tom Ellis hasn't either, but I think as for the moment, he has). It's all subjective to what you think there is and what you hear. That's the fun of it!
    Ellis F5 Reserve
    Collings MF Deluxe
    Kentucky KM-1050

36. The following members say thank you to withfoam for this post:

There have been times when I've had a large number of instruments. But I find that I'm not a good collector. If I'm not playing them regularly, why have them? So I've had the same two for quite awhile now. I bought my first mandolin in 5 years this summer, a Waterloo flattop. Also have another flattop being built. I think there's a lot of tone available in flattops that I certainly haven't fully explored.

So I guess I'm the one of each kind of accumulator. One F5, one A5, soon to have two flattops, one electric, one tenor banjo, one 5 string open back banjo, one guitar, two electric guitars but one was a gift so.....

38. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

I'm kind of looking for one of each. When two instruments fill the same role, I sell one.

The Trilluim long scale mandola stays. It's a lifer.
    I will probably move the Nordic Mandola as it's kind of in competition with the Trillium for play time.

The Gernandt is pretty damn good and I will probably keep that too. At 23.5 inch scale it's a sort of octave/bouzouki that works well for me.

The Northfield F5S.....I really want to upgrade to a lifer. With lots of bling and all the trimmings. Maybe a more chimey all around tone, where the NF5S is pretty bluegrass focused. I don't care about F or A body style but I want only 1 F hole mandolin. But every-time I get ready to move on I hesitate. It's a really nice mando. The tone is direct without a whole lot of sparkle but it can sound pretty or cut through. I can't pull the trigger so far because that 5k mandolin might not be better!

Oh....and I just got an MT2-0.

I'm feeling like I'm pretty much done but I guess we'll see.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

40. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

Blog Entries

I am both Jim's Monkey Mind Collector and Allen's Accumulator.

I might also be like the ants, who individual go about their particular tasks, making the decisions in front of them, oblivious to the patterns made by the whole ant hill, or the small fish, with a limited vision, that by maintaining a certain angle with respect to their brethren unconsciously make these large schools that behave like a single humongous entity that scares predators, or children playing and responding spontaneously to other children, oblivious of the language they are absorbing, modifying, and creating.

Or the mag pie, chasing after shiny stuff.

I don't have nearly as many mandolins as many, but certainly I have more than I can play at one time. Six or seven mandolins ago I purchased the last mandolin I would ever need. But the nature of my accumulation and any patterns in my history of acquisition is entirely due to an unconscious process. A therapist would have a field day.

As I have probably mentioned somewhere - one of the urges that drives my MAS, and I don't believe this is unique to me, is the deep sadness to think I can never again experience the adrenalin rush of a new mandolin, (or new to me of course) and then the relief I experience as I realize this isn't true, that the mandolins in my existing herd are not jealous and in reality I can have as many "first time" experiences as I want (and can afford) without incurring the ire of the mandolins I already own.

Some do "collect" according to a pattern, one of each type, one of each year, one of each manufacturer, one made on significant days - birthday or anniversary, or to reflect the history of the mandolin, one for each type of music, or venue or purpose, all kinds of great ideas. In some cases, (not all, but more than a few I suspect), this is all backfill, an attempt to rationalize to ourselves in order to hide the deeper truth, that we just what we want.
    Last edited by JeffD; Dec-09-2020 at 1:06pm.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

I've "collected" ones that I want to play. A 1993 Randy Wood F 5, a 1924 Gibson F 4, a 1920 Gibson A 3 and a 1916 Gibson A 4. I'm done..........I hope.

44. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

Some additional self-psychoanalysis of my collecting.

First the accumulation of my main playing instruments which I call my core collection. Those are the ones I pick up to play on a daily basis and in the mandolin section include my Gibson, Brentrup, Campanella and Flatiron. In the auxiliary (more novelty) section are more occasional ones: for classical, Embergher N3 and Washburn Pro A; for choro, Andrade bandolim; for blues and annoying the neighbors, National RM-1.

For the accumulation aspect: Quite a few years ago when in the golden age of the classical section in MC Forums I started obsessing about bowlbacks. But I wasnt sure at that time what was good or not. So I bought up a truck load of them. I called it tuition for the self-education of a bowl-headed nut case. (The proposed title for my memoir). Soon I will have to excavate my closet and divest of these treasures. I would not call it a collection but a big pile. Pretty scary. My wife, for some odd reason, still loves me—I think.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

46. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Bob Amjbeered7flag