Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Hull on Steven Colbert

Default Re: Sierra Hull on Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Nothing makes bluegrass succeed more in the mainstream more than a popular non-bluegrass musician that records a bluegrass project.
    Jerry Garcia - Old and In The Way. Biggest selling Bluegrass record in history until Oh Brother, as I understand? Either way, what person on a mandolin forum wouldn't be thrilled to see 3 mando breaks on a major TV network on a major latenight show, regardless of anything?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmuller For This Useful Post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmuller View Post
    Jerry Garcia - Old and In The Way. Biggest selling Bluegrass record in history until Oh Brother, as I understand? Either way, what person on a mandolin forum wouldn't be thrilled to see 3 mando breaks on a major TV network on a major latenight show, regardless of anything?
    Yup! Couldn't agree more.

To the youngsters in my generation (millennials) the best way to describe the sound of the Mandolin, which is quite often, is to bring up Iris-Goo Goo Dolls or Losing My Religion-REM.

Even Chris Thile is an unknown to the masses of younger folks in my region.

I'll take Sierra Hull over those songs any day!
    Last edited by Zach Wilson; Nov-15-2020 at 11:43am.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zach Wilson For This Useful Post:

Nothing makes bluegrass succeed more in the mainstream more than a popular non-bluegrass musician that records a bluegrass project.
    I concur. Everyone has opinions, however this Cutting Grass Album is good and it'll make new Bluegrass fans. I'm not understanding the dislike here. He sings better than Monroe and McCoury by leaps and bounds IMO.
    Go Vandals!

6. The following members say thank you to Dan Cole for this post:

I'm a big Sturgill fan regardless of this new album, but I love the new album. Sierra Hull is exquisite in everything she does and this album is no exception!

Ms Hull shines through as expected. She makes the most intricate runs with such class and grace. More than enough and never too much.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Blog Entries

I think the music is exceptional, and his singing doesn't bother me. Don't get me wrong, but nothing excites the masses in the bluegrass genre more than some country yahoo forming an all-star bluegrass band that otherwise doesn't have a real great chance at being on a Colbert or other similar show.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

...and his singing doesn't bother me.
    There's a ringing endorsement that about covers the way I feel.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

I think we need to give Sturgill Simpson a break, he was probably hanging out with Tim while with Tim was wearing that shirt before the concert… We’d all be a little more mumble mouthed
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

13. The following members say thank you to dang for this post:

I realized after I posted that it is "Stephan" Colbert, not "Steven".

15. The following members say thank you to David L for this post:

Dave_W 

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    A mumblemouth singer who is lucky enough to catch the current spotlight, backed up by an Ace studio band. 'Twas ever thus.
    Or a true country voice, who doesn't mumble. Did you think Waylon was a mumblemouth too? His vocal presentation reminds me of Mr. Jennings.

17. The following members say thank you to GDAE for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Finally got to watch this, and have to say COOL

It was great seeing these guys play together. My main thought on watching this was that there will surely be some people who do not know who Sierra Hull is, who will now be googling Sierra Hull!

Who is that chick and what is that funny little cool-sounding instrument she's playing? Inquiring minds will want to know. Especially Sturgill fans.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by GDAE View Post
    Or a true country voice, who doesn't mumble. Did you think Waylon was a mumblemouth too? His vocal presentation reminds me of Mr. Jennings.
    Probably best to leave ol' Waylon outta this as he's no longer around to defend himself.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    Probably best to leave ol' Waylon outta this as he's no longer around to defend himself.
    Waylon was tough enough to defend himself when he's dead.

Just sayin'...
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

21. The following members say thank you to Murphy Slaw for this post:

I'm not a big fan of Bluegrass to begin with, but since picking up a mandolin awhile back, I've found that I appreciate mandolin, banjo and fiddle a great deal...just not hardcore BG...

That being said, I loved everything about that vid with the exception of Sturgill Simpson...I've always been a little underwhelmed by his mumbling style, and even when I turned the CC on, it couldn't interpret half his vocals...

But I'd sure like to see that band carry on with a different singer...

Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Always happy to see an artist make it, whether it’s something I completely dig or not. BTW, I think his voice is very interesting and genuine.

24. The following members say thank you to mtucker for this post:

Thanks for posting. I had meant to check it out after seeing Sierra Hull post on Twitter about it coming up.

I'm not too familiar with SS, but I recognize that he has talent. His new album is good and especially as a producer, he shines. He produced the latest Margo Price album (That's How Rumors Get Started) and that album has been on repeat for me. It's really something special to my ears.
    Ellis F5 Reserve
    Collings MF Deluxe
    Kentucky KM-1050

26. The following members say thank you to withfoam for this post:

BTW, let’s not forget Bub in all of this, he rocks the bass on this song. Great to have such an all star cast around a really solid frontman, it lifts all of them up.
    Last edited by mtucker; Nov-17-2020 at 7:51pm.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtucker For This Useful Post:

I liked it. Always amazed by the guys that go out of their way to tell everybody how much they don't like something on here.

If nothing else you should be able to appreciate the fact that a whole lot of people probably just saw/heard a mandolin for the first time and it was a pretty killer job by Sierra (and the rest). May have just inspired the next young kid that will play circles around me in a year. Good for them.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

I liked it, too. His vocals remind me of Gregg Allman a bit.

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

Tim's cracking me up. Tommy Bahama meets Duluth Trading Company. I can see him standing in front of his closet going, "Hmmm, what to wear?" on national television. Gotta love his sense of humor.
    We few, we happy few.

33. The following members say thank you to John Ritchhart for this post:

Speaking of unlikely people to "front" bluegrass bands, what about Up-and-Coming Bluegrass Banjo Superstar Steve Martin?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

35. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Speaking of unlikely people to "front" bluegrass bands, what about Up-and-Coming Bluegrass Banjo Superstar Steve Martin?
    Allen, as you know, Steve is the real deal and a banjo Grammy don’t lie. I saw him and the Rangers in concert 6 or so years ago at the Pantages theatre here in Hollywood and they rocked it. Such awesome dynamics in the band, I was stunned. Great for the Steep Canyon Rangers . Similarly, about the same time and place I saw Knopfler and Tim O’Brien and their band play two sets of Celtic together. Tim hit it out of the park on banjo, fiddle and everything that was in front of him and Knopler gave him huge creds during the performance. It’s such a treat to see this kind of stuff come together when you least expect it!

37. The following members say thank you to mtucker for this post:

Don't disagree; Martin's love for banjo and folk/bluegrass music goes 'way back, before he became a comedy superstar, Hollywood actor, author, screenwriter, playwright, Renaissance man –– he's just collaborated with cartoonist Harry Bliss on a book of captioned drawings, A Wealth of Pigeons -- heard about it on NPR...

"Banjo Grammy" doesn't necessarily impress though, considering the strange criteria the Grammies use to select winners in the non-mainstream categories like "folk and trad." Winners in those categories have ranged from Dylan to Springsteen, to Doc Watson and the Carolina Chocolate Drops. I have a suspicion that some of the Grammy voters in the "off" categories wouldn't know traditional music if it sidled up and bit them in the a*s, but vote for names they recognize.

Martin is a super talent, and succeeds at nearly everything he tries. I don't question that, but I do sometimes wonder where J D Crowe's Grammy is, or, say, Norman Blake's or Jesse McReynolds'.

I guess the point I was trying to get to, is that it's not an uncommon thing for talented musicians, in genres with some folk/country elements, to want to make a "bluegrass" album. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much. The dazzling virtuosity of "Nashville cats" who play bluegrass, at least part-time, means that some great pickin' comes out of the studio, but there are times that the performer's voice and style don't totally mesh with what we expect bluegrass to sound like.

I think the example of Jerry Garcia and his Old & In the Way project with Rowan, Clements, Grisman et. al., or the thrown-together Muleskinner band (Grisman again, Clarence White, Keith, Richard Greene et. al.), shows that "one-of" (or "few-of") albums by pick-up bands with well-known names, can be more commercially-successful projects than albums by veteran bluegrass stars. So maybe Sturgill Simpson will interest some people in bluegrass, or not, who knows?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

39. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    The dazzling virtuosity of "Nashville cats" who play bluegrass, at least part-time, means that some great pickin' comes out of the studio, but there are times that the performer's voice and style don't totally mesh with what we expect bluegrass to sound like.

I think the example of Jerry Garcia and his Old & In the Way project with Rowan, Clements, Grisman et. al., or the thrown-together Muleskinner band (Grisman again, Clarence White, Keith, Richard Greene et. al.), shows that "one-of" (or "few-of") albums by pick-up bands with well-known names, can be more commercially-successful projects than albums by veteran bluegrass stars. So maybe Sturgill Simpson will interest some people in bluegrass, or not, who knows?
    I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said. However, the joy from all of this is that artists who would otherwise remain obscure to folks except those who follow their genre get lifted by being exposed through artists who live in the more pop culture. It doesn’t always have to be so pure, IMO. Call me a liberal tree hugger, Lol’s. It’s a good thing I think.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtucker For This Useful Post:

I'm a big Sturgill Simpson fan & a fan of all the players in this video, and I'm glad he did the record. However, I don't feel that the bluegrass treatment does most of his songs justice. His previous recordings, esp. "A Sailor's Guide to Earth" are a much better frame for both the songs and his singing than "Cutting Grass". His lyrics are strong and his voice can be extremely expressive. Neither of those qualities really show up in this video.