Thread: Moving to FL

Default Moving to FL

I will be moving to Dunnellon FL next week and would to meet up with some BG pickers once settled in. I am still new to the mandolin, but I have played BG rhythm guitar for years and I play a little banjo.

Default Re: Moving to FL

If you can’t find any closer, there is the “Pickin’ Splinters” bluegrass jam every Thursday at the Woodwright Brewing Company in Dunedin: http://woodwrightbrewing.com/eventer...bluegrass-jam/

It might be a bit of a drive, but you should be able to network with some of the players there for other playing opportunities in the area.

This place has festivals and jams

https://sertomayouthranch.org

Thanks I will definitely check it out.

That's great. I moving the week before Thanksgiving so I don't think I can make the Thanksgiving show. I will check for other events.

The Withlacoochee Bluegrass festival in Dunnellon. When they have it again. link to their FB. https://www.facebook.com/tinroofshackproductions

7. The following members say thank you to GTison for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by GTison View Post
    The Withlacoochee Bluegrass festival in Dunnellon. When they have it again. link to their FB. https://www.facebook.com/tinroofshackproductions
    Thanks. I liked their FB page to keep up with it.

You are in awesome spot for freshwater springs. Make sure you check those out.

Quote Originally Posted by zdub View Post
    You are in awesome spot for freshwater springs. Make sure you check those out.
    We certainly are in a great place. We have already been to Rainbow Springs State Park. It is lovely. I bought a family pass to the state parks. We will be exploring this region a lot.

Hi BG_Dana, how are you liking FL today? Cold enough for you? Good thing it won't last.

Warm holiday wishes,
    Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Last edited by lenf12; Dec-26-2020 at 11:27am.

BG_Dana - not sure what part of Florida you’re moving to, but there’s a monthly bluegrass jam at a music park in Hoboken GA, so depending on where you are in Florida you might not be too far? Anyway, the park is called Twin Oaks Park and they have a pickin the first weekend of every month.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Not a whole lot of bluegrass in the Florida Keys. There's some interest in some other kinds of grass, but that ain't no part of nothing. There's a bit of country, but even that, less than there used to be. For about a dozen years I played in a seasonal Cajun-country-bluegrass band (two snowbirds, two locals) but even that is down for the count this year, with no place open for us to play. So you're better off sticking with the goings-on in your area. Welcome to Florida - now get to some pickin' and grinnin'!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

lenf12 - Sure didn't expect the cold when we moved. Glad it is over.

LucyL - We are not far from Orlando. Looks kinda far from here, but thanks.

Yea, right.

There used to be open jams in ST Augustine pre covid but they have gone by the wayside.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

journeybear - I didn't think the Keys would be a hot bed of bluegrass. Boxes are mostly unpacked. Can't wait to get the instruments out and get back to it.

Blog Entries

Oh, I know. Just doing my bit to give you a thumbnail sketch of what's what for the whole state, all seven corners. (It's a large state with a funny shape.) Since I'm the only Café member in the general vicinity, AFAIK, it behooves me to chime in.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Oh, I know. Just doing my bit to give you a thumbnail sketch of what's what for the whole state, all seven corners. (It's a large state with a funny shape.) Since I'm the only Café member in the general vicinity, AFAIK, it behooves me to chime in.
    I do appreciate it. I moved from Texas and was raised in WV so I know about funny shaped states.

Blog Entries

I guess! West Virginia is not very big but it has two panhandles. Not many states can say that. They say Florida has a panhandle, along the Gulf Coast. But in a way, this big boomerang of a state is composed of two panhandles, and that's the whole story!

BG_Dana, How are you liking Florida? My wife (Dana) and I are thinking about moving from Virginia to somewhere around the Ocala area. Maybe The Villages, a Del Webb, or ?? Have you found any jams? We co-ordinate the local old time jam here in Williamsburg, and I, just yesterday, postponed it indefinitely due to COVID. None of our members wanted to play right now.

We like old time, traditional bluegrass and country.

Would love to hear your initial impressions of Florida.

Thanks,

Richard Newsome
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo

Quote Originally Posted by Pappyrich View Post
    BG_Dana, How are you liking Florida? My wife (Dana) and I are thinking about moving from Virginia to somewhere around the Ocala area. Maybe The Villages, a Del Webb, or ?? Have you found any jams? We co-ordinate the local old time jam here in Williamsburg, and I, just yesterday, postponed it indefinitely due to COVID. None of our members wanted to play right now.

We like old time, traditional bluegrass and country.

Would love to hear your initial impressions of Florida.

Thanks,

Richard Newsome
    Hi Richard

My wife and I love the Dunnellon area. We are about 45 minutes from Ocala. We live in an area called Rainbow Lakes Estates, about 6 miles from the city of Dunnellon. It is out in the county of Marion. We like being away from the bigger cities. We have to go into Orlando tomorrow and I am dreading it.

There is a Withlacoochi BG Festival every year that I am anxious to go to. I haven't checked on jams yet as we are still getting settled and unpacking. That is high on my agenda, tho.

My wife is a country fan, but not so much a bg fan. She plays piano and we are constantly looking for songs we can play together.

If you are looking for a little more upscale place around here, you might check out Rainbow Springs Estates. It is also in Dunnellon. It is really nice community on the river with a country club, restaurant and boating facilities. Rainbow Springs State Park is nearby and really nice. We have been there once. It is 5 miles from us.

I wouldn't wait until summer to check out the area. I hear it will be hot and muggy. We came down last Oct. The weather now is cool (60's in the day, 40's at night).

Good luck.
    Dana

BG_Dana
    Thanks for the quick response. We'll check out the places you mentioned. Please let us know if you find and jams.
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo

Will do.

Dana