Thread: How do these on-line private-sales work? Pay first or ship first?

Default How do these on-line private-sales work? Pay first or ship first?

Just curious — is there a standard approach to a private on-line sale of an instrument when it has to be shipped? Either the seller or the buyer has to be at risk a bit, right? Either you pay the seller and then he ships it or the seller ships it and gets paid upon delivery. Either way, someone’s “exposed” for a while, right? Although there can’t be many dishonest mandolin players on the planet...

Default Re: How do these on-line private-sales work? Pay first or ship fi

Pay Pal gives protection as long as you don't do it to friends and family (in which case no refund) So if he doesn't send the goods or sends something not as described, you'll get your money back. Years ago before pay pal we did either have to travel or, as you say, take a chance.

Sure, people have had things go wrong with pay pal but I think it is the only option. I would never assume anything.

3. The following members say thank you to jimmy powells for this post:

You don't ship until you've received the payment. Touch wood, I've never had anything go wrong with past sales. I do feel more comfortable if I'm selling something via the classifieds here, vs. using Reverb for example - none of my Reverb sales have been problematic, but you do feel more secure selling here where you're able to recognise the names of folks inquiring because you've seen them post here over the years etc.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

I've bought & sold many times on the Cafe. When payment received (PayPal or check clears), the Cafe gets at least 2% and the instrument is shipped. Like Jill, I've never had an issue with sales or purchases through the Cafe. I usually talk to the seller or purchaser & do basic internet search to confirm identity if it's an instrument sale; not so much for BlueChip picks or smaller items.

7. The following members say thank you to John Soper for this post:

Buyer deposits money into my pay pal account, then I ship Mandolin, insured, which is included in price, 48 hour trial period, if returned, buyer pays shipping/insurance. After sale 2% to Cafe.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

9. The following members say thank you to J Mangio for this post:

Thanks, all. That all makes sense!

In the watch world, where similarly priced items consistently trade hands, the saying is "buy the seller."

It's primarily a lot of communications, between the buyer and the seller..
    Have you tried that ??
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

13. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Have you tried that ??
    This. I would not simply send money without speaking at length to the seller about the instrument and themselves. It's not hard to figure out who you're dealing with once you've had a conversation with them. Also, it helps to know the seller has been a member here for a substantial period of time and has other sales records. A person who has been here for 17 years is unlikely to flake on you. I send the money and they send the instrument when the money has cleared. It seems people here offer 48 hours as a general rule for a return policy with the buyer picking up the return shipping costs. Pretty fair, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Have you tried that ??
    Agree, though the only seller I’ve actually spoken to was Mandomutt when I bought my Kelley, and that was to see if we could work out a time to meet up to avoid shipping, as we’re not that far apart. Alas, we couldn’t as our work schedules at the time were opposite, but it arrived in great shape. I have had some prolonged email exchanges, particularly during a trade with a gentleman in Boston. By the time we finalized the trade we both felt very comfortable and got our instruments shipped very quickly thereafter. Another time, when a mandolin I purchased (also from Boston) disappeared from tracking and took a week to arrive instead of the 2nd day air I’d paid for, the seller emailed me a couple of times a day. I knew he’d shipped it and it was a USPS issue, but he felt terrible about the delay. Again, it all worked out in the end. Especially with the delay, radio silence would have been a little nerve wracking, but I felt comfortable because of our communication. In a little twist of fate that mandolin is now back in Boston with my daughter, who chose it to take when she moved there for law school...
    Chuck

16. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

I’d concur with the communication recommendation. You’re going to need to agree the postage fee etc and your address etc. And the advice to use something like PayPal - getting the seller to send you a PayPal invoice- is good advice.

I’d always expect to send money before the mandolin is shipped - but then keep communicating- find it when it’s shipped and then confirm when it arrives.

I’ve only bought one mandolin via the classifieds - but it was pretty much trouble free and the seller was a pleasure to deal with.

I have purchased three instruments through the MC classifieds. The first was a pick up so that was easy. The other two were shipped by the seller. I used a USPS money order both times. I have traceability (with a receipt) and the seller gets guaranteed funds. Both transactions went very smoothly.
    I also have my shipments held at the UPS terminal for pick up. Once less leg of the journey in a delivery truck and eliminate the possibility of your package being left on a porch. And equally important you can inspect the package before you take possession. If there is damage it can be documented at their facility before you actually go and sign for it.
    Last edited by Bob Gnann; Jan-24-2021 at 5:05pm.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Jai View Post
    I’d concur with the communication recommendation. You’re going to need to agree the postage fee etc and your address etc. And the advice to use something like PayPal - getting the seller to send you a PayPal invoice- is good advice.

I’d always expect to send money before the mandolin is shipped - but then keep communicating- find it when it’s shipped and then confirm when it arrives.

I’ve only bought one mandolin via the classifieds - but it was pretty much trouble free and the seller was a pleasure to deal with.
    Ditto for me.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.