Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In search of a mandolin...

Default Re: In search of a mandolin...

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    My advice is simply play as many instruments as you possibly can, take some real time with each one and see which one trips your trigger. It will be your friend for some time, there’s no reason to rush. One will appeal to you and will know it.
    Great advice ! This is what I did in making a trip to Gruhn's in Nashville ! Played many mandolins from less expensive to very expensive. I found that there are less expensive instruments that sounded good to my ears as compared to very expensive ones ! As far as workmanship the mandolin that impressed me the most was a Girouard built by Max Girouard. As far as sound TO MY EARS was Ellis and Girouard mandolins ! Ellis are more expensive but great sounding mandolins. All around for workmanship and sound I would recommend a Girouard ! Less cost also but no compromise on sound ! Check both out !

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yankees1 For This Useful Post:

A Northfield Big Mon has it all. You'd find a used one under $4000 and if after a couple of years you felt you wanted a change, you would not lose a lot of money. You would probaby get your money back. Buying a new one is like a car. Immediate depreciation.

I have no connection with Northfield. I just have 50 years experiece and think that the Big Mon with that extra 5% body size, has it all. I love mine and cannot see me ever buyin an F5 to replace it unless some old lady calls me with something like a 1927 Gibson F5. Ha ha !

4. The following members say thank you to jimmy powells for this post:

My friend, you are going straight into the deep end. Considering you are just starting out and are expecting to make a healthy investment, i think you would be well served by considering getting two or three different instruments in the 2-3k range that are quite different in styles...one archtop with f-holes (could be either an A- or F-style body; it’s a matter of personal preference, comfort and budget), one archtop with an oval hole, and a flattop (this could be an old Martin or one by many current builders including Howard Morris, Peter Sawchyn, Northfield Calhoun etc. and you can spend 1K or less to get a good one). Perhaps even a mandola. Unless you run in much more rarified musical-social circles than I do (not unlikely) you may want to have something that is not so valuable that it makes you nervous to take it to a pub jam or party. THEN, having provided a few choices, immerse yourself and you will find out which one(s) you play and which ones you don’t. Sell the ones you don’t and play again. The initials MAS should mean something to you by then (Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome). Agonizing over making sure it’s “the one” when you’re just starting your adventure is kind of like getting married at 16. BTW you won’t go wrong with Collings archtops for either fholes or oval-hole. Very consistent and hold their value well. Have fun. A lot of fun. Cheers.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

6. The following members say thank you to Bill Cameron for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    Agonizing over making sure it’s “the one” when you’re just starting your adventure is kind of like getting married at 16.
    This analogy makes me blush, having acquired so many instruments in less than a year

8. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

LOL - add to the mix that the relationship to an instrument evolves and changes the longer you own it!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

10. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

A few folks have mentioned the Gilchrist Model 1 as an option. I have one from the first batch in 2009 and find that it is the most versatile mandolins I've ever played. I know that there is variability between even the best builders, but I can highly recommend this model. It's clear and balanced across the fingerboard with a strong bass. It has a percussive chop (not as strong as my f-holed mandolin), but based on your criteria, it could be a good one to try to find in the future.

I wonder if the OP found a mandolin that suited his needs? Did he snag that Heiden A that went quickly?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Being a serious violinist, with that kind of budget, I think you may like a builder out my way in Burlington, Vermont named Joseph Campanella Cleary at campanellastrings.com. He builds amazing violins and mandolins.

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Being a serious violinist, with that kind of budget, I think you may like a builder out my way in Burlington, Vermont named Joseph Campanella Cleary at campanellastrings.com. He builds amazing violins and mandolins.
    I lucked into a Campanella a year ago. I love the unique tones I get out of mine. I don’t know know how it compares to Bob Schneider’s mandolins or evening that the OP wants that. The biggest problem is that they rarely come up for sale and get snapped up pretty quickly. I have heard of Joe recently taking commissions but I think he prefers to sell his instruments through the Music Emporium in Massachusetts. He also makes violins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1