Thread: Big Muddy:Violin Scale vs Jumbo

Default Big Muddy:Violin Scale vs Jumbo

I’m an intermediate guitarist looking for my first mando. I’m wanting to play some yet to be determined combo of jazz, classical, and Celtic styles. I’ve got pretty small hands and limited reach. I want a Big Muddy (born and raised nearby) and am looking at 2 mutually exclusive modifications. Mike makes a jumbo (standard mando neck on mandola body) and offers violin scale on a standard mando. Given what I’d like to do, which option (if either) would the Cafe recommend? Obviously I can ask the builder, but thought I’d get some additional perspective. Thanks!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Big Muddy:Violin Scale vs Jumbo

The violin scale will be slightly easier to reach chords on. A violin scale is 13 inches a modern mandolin scale Gibson like is 13 7/8". Part of what you need to think about also is the neck width at the nut. That will impact your reach as much if not more so than scale. Also, use of three finger chord forms in your chord choices will help out greatly. Bluegrass and jazz use more tone/notes chords but as you grow into mandolin chords are often implied using fewer tones. Play on! R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

If you can play chords on a guitar then you can play chords on a mandolin. Even the Bill Monroe “finger breaker” chop chords.

Or I should say you EVENTUALLY can play them. The chop chords are something we ALL had to work our way up to. And in the meantime double stops & 3-finger chords work wonders.

IMO a standard Big Muddy jumbo body mandolin will serve you well for many years.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Machschnell View Post
    Given what I’d like to do, which option (if either) would the Cafe recommend? Obviously I can ask the builder, but thought I’d get some additional perspective. Thanks!
    I would (and did!) eschew both modifications and look for a standard MidMo or Big Muddy in a favorable wood combination. When I was migrating over from guitar, I started on a used MidMo M0 that featured spruce over mahogany.
    Last edited by pheffernan; Dec-27-2022 at 10:44am.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    The violin scale will be slightly easier to reach chords on. A violin scale is 13 inches a modern mandolin scale Gibson like is 13 7/8". Part of what you need to think about also is the neck width at the nut. That will impact your reach as much if not more so than scale. Also, use of three finger chord forms in your chord choices will help out greatly. Bluegrass and jazz use more tone/notes chords but as you grow into mandolin chords are often implied using fewer tones. Play on! R/
    Gotcha I understand the value of partial chords emphasizing the color tones, so it’s good to know that carries over to mando. Regarding neck width, I was just gonna go with their standard 1 1/8.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Dan!

ph, why would you bypass the jumbo size? Thx for your input.

ph, why would you bypass the jumbo size? Thx for your input.
    To my way of thinking, I’m not sure what the jumbo size is doing for me other than shrinking supply and raising my price. I’d be looking for a nice used and appropriately depreciated mandolin, and my chances would be better with a standard model.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    To my way of thinking, I’m not sure what the jumbo size is doing for me other than shrinking supply and raising my price. I’d be looking for a nice used and appropriately depreciated mandolin, and my chances would be better with a standard model.
    Makes sense. Mike Dukak at Big Muddy thinks it gives a rounder/fuller voice while still having the timbre of a mando. I can see how it might be neither fish nor fowl though.

I agree that coming from guitar the standard mandolin scale should not be a problem. If you want to go with the jumbo body, do it. These are very nice flattop mandolins but if you seriously get into the instrument in any of the genres you mention you will be upgrading to a different mandolin but no reason to think of that at this moment/ Let us know what you decide.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Makes sense. Mike Dukak at Big Muddy thinks it gives a rounder/fuller voice while still having the timbre of a mando. I can see how it might be neither fish nor fowl though.
    Mike certainly knows his mandolins and their voicings better than I do. I just don’t know that I’d notice the difference if I weren’t in a perpetual state of A/Bing, particularly as a relative newcomer. I would certainly notice the difference between new and used pricing, however.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

My take on it is:
    If you’ve never played mandolin you’ll be best off by starting on a standard/conventional/ordinary instrument, at least until you get the feel of the instrument. Don’t go looking for difficulties before you have enough experience (and a teacher) to discern what’s the instrument vs. what’s the player.

I like the Mid Missouri mandos and their prices are good, given the quality, so that’ll be a good choice for starters.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

Don't have any advice to offer except: email Mike first. He's a really nice guy. He may be able to do what you want (jumbo + violin scale), and/or clarify your doubts.

I have several Jumbo's and love them. Just my olpinion but I highly recommend the jumbo! I can't say enough good things about Mike! A great guy in the mandolin world and one who would give you excellent advice, if you call him. Go for the Jumbo, you won't look back.