Thread: Telemann - Con Tenerezza from TWV 41:D3

Default Telemann - Con Tenerezza from TWV 41:D3

When I was working on my two Telemann books for Mel Bay I played (or attempted to play) through hundreds of pieces from many collections. One of my favorite books was the Barenreiter edition of the 12 Sonate Metodiche that Telemann published in two parts in 1728 and 1732. After using a library copy for months I decided to look for an old copy to buy and I found a copy of the 1955 printing for sale.

I think I used eight or so movements from these 12 sonatas in the Telemann for Mandolin book but, in the end, I didn't use any in the Telemann for Two Mandolins book. The music in the Barenreiter edition that I have is presented with melody and a figured bass line, complemented by the editor's realization of the figured bass. There is so much fun music in this volume and you can find a copy at the IMSLP site to see for yourself.

Anyway, today I am posting a pdf of a 2 mandolin version of the Con Tenerezza (with tenderness) movement from the fourth sonata and a recording. You might justifiably say that I am going a little slow with my tenderness here (on the recording) but it's such a pretty tune that I took my time. The second part is just the bass line raised up for a second mandolin, if there are two of you, but the melody stands just fine as a solo.

See what you think.

Recording at my So Many Tunes blog: http://mandotopia.com/smt2020/Telema...2mandolins.mp3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Telemann-ConTenerezzaTWV41D3for2mandolins.pdf  

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to John Goodin For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Telemann - Con Tenerezza from TWV 41:D3

Do you have any recommended texts on realizing basso continuo parts? There are so many pieces written for melody + bc, and it would be fun to try those out as a mandolinist with a keyboardist, guitarist, etc.
    Eastman MD504
    Curt Mangan Monel, Light
    Dunlop Ultex Sharp, 1.14 mm

IG: @standing.wav

I was hoping that someone else would jump in and answer your question because I would be very interested in such a text. I don't have any recommendation beyond finding a good harpsichord player and asking for lessons. Just like comping in jazz or fiddle tune back up in Irish music, baroque figured bass realization is a real combination of art and science. Good luck!

Here is a good intro to figured bass and realization from the music dept. at Earlham College.

Barry

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btrott For This Useful Post: