Thread: Mandovoodoo or something similar

Default Mandovoodoo or something similar

Hello all,
    I have tried to contact Steve Perry from Mandovoodoo to do his package on my new Kentucky 756 but I have had no luck reaching him. Does anyone know if he is still in business? Is there someone else here at the Cafe that you can recommend to do a complete setup? I have no reputable luthier in my area that I know of to take my mandolin to. I would like to have the action lowered, lighter gauge strings installed (I'm a beginner), the frets evened out and polished, intonation set, etc... If anyone knows of a luthier in the Macon, Ga area or one that I can send my mandolin to, to have the work completed, please email me at: sfsalyers@outlook.com. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandovoodoo or something similar

Go to the tab here in the Cafe for Builders and locate a luthier in Georgia.
    Last edited by Pittsburgh Bill; Jan-30-2021 at 9:29am.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

You are a two hour drive from Randy Wood in Bloomington, Ga.

www.randywoodmusic.com
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    You are a two hour drive from Randy Wood in Bloomington, Ga.

www.randywoodmusic.com
    Thank you, I just contacted him and I am waiting on a return phone call.

Scott, did you try calling Steve? Or emailing. Generally he prefers the phone over the interwebz for communication.
    <Removed by Moderator. Perhaps you could PM this to the OP>.
    It IS possible that he's not currently working as he was having a lot of flux a couple of years ago.
    He did a great job with my 756, including a Cumberland Acoustic bridge upgrade.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Feb-05-2021 at 1:22pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainer73 View Post
    Scott, did you try calling Steve? Or emailing. Generally he prefers the phone over the interwebz for communication. 865-995-9546
    It IS possible that he's not currently working as he was having a lot of flux a couple of years ago.
    He did a great job with my 756, including a Cumberland Acoustic bridge upgrade.
    Yes, I tried both the phone and email and got no response from either. I would venture to say that since his move to Illinois that he is currently not working on mandolins. I took my Kentucky to a luthier close by and he did a good setup that I am happy with for the time being. I would really like to take it to Randy Wood over in Savannah but I am afraid that due to his schedule and his reputation he wouldn't be able to find the time to do what I need done.

He ended up moving again, to VA, but he was still working on mandolins as of 2019. I hope he's ok. I did a lot of business with him when he was in TN, on the fiddle side. He's very knowledgeable, if bit quirky, as many luthiers (or specifically, violin makers) are, but very enjoyable to talk stringed instruments with! Good luck with your 756!