Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I put a Mandolin Cafe Sticker on my Vintage Lifton Case?

Default Re: Should I put a Mandolin Cafe Sticker on my Vintage Lifton Cas

It is your choice, but you asked. I'd buy a decent case (maybe like a crossrock ~$75) and put your mandolin in it and your sticker on it. Save the original case for if and when you sell it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    That is the main question. I already have collected a few stickers on the Bada$$(TM) Chipboard Case that holds my Kentucky. And I don't plan on ever selling the Stradolin. Nonetheless, I'm somewhat hesitant to risk damage.
    If you never plan on selling the Stradolin and its case, then sticker away. It will not damage the case in any way except possibly maybe as a formerly pristine collectable relic.

I believe we all have to decide do we play, do we collect, or do we curate. Because often the three activities conflict. I personally don't want to own anything I can't play, use, and enjoy. If I had a case that had some extreme value as an historical artifact, I promise you I would sell as soon as I could and buy a case I can put stickers on.

Years ago I got rid of all the dishes I owned that were not dishwasher safe.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

3. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Yes, but you need to get the period correct “distressed” MC sticker so it doesn’t look too fresh and shiny

I’d do it. All of my smooth cases have stickers. But, I wouldn’t put it on my car. Shrugging emoji, we all have our ways...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    I would have liked to put the sticker from my favorite musical gathering on a certain case of mine. It didn´t work. The sticker didn´t stick. It sticks perfectly on my Presto case (from down under, a Calton type of case). So I have ruined my wonderful sticker. My answer therefore is: No do not try to stick a sticker on a vintage case. Stick it on a modern Calton/Presto/Pegasus kind of case (or on your car). It´ll last longer.
    We order case stickers in lots of 10,000 about every two years. I can assure everyone we probably have 3-4K of them from the latest order. They leave here daily, year round, with ball caps and donations. All we need to get new stickers to anyone is enough to cover the shipping or self addressed, stamped envelope for U.S. residents. Details here.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    We order case stickers in lots of 10,000 about every two years. I can assure everyone we probably have 3-4K of them from the latest order. They leave here daily, year round, with ball caps and donations. All we need to get new stickers to anyone is enough to cover the shipping or self addressed, stamped envelope for U.S. residents. Details here.
    Thanks Scott. I am not a 'sticker person' yet there is a MC sticker on the back window of my pickup truck, and one on my car, and one on my business's van (all on back windows). Other than one Equality sticker, there are no other stickers on any of these vehicles, excluding those necessary for advertising my business on the trucks. The Cafe is a major thing for me. I like the comments/questions I get about MC stickers!

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Question Re: Stickers on Cases

+1) Fiberglass cases are very sticker compatible, and the peel off if you sell the case & mandolin.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201127_083116.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	713.9 KB 
ID:	190076

Your case too, could look this cool
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

I appreciate all the comments. I get that it's largely personal opinion. Haven't fully decided yet,but here's (for me) the most cogent statements pro and con so far:

PRO:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I like that stickers personalize something that give us pleasure. I put stickers on my thermos to remember all the cool places I have taken that thing. I know some youngsters who put stickers right on their guitars. I would not do that, but it comes from the same impulse.

Don't forget, we are in this for the long hall so the stickers themselves will get old and be kind of vintage.

Same reason I save all my old passports. They are not good for anything, but all the stamps inside remind me that I have been a few places and done a few things. That life has not always been like it is now, locked in our houses playing music to computer screens.

CON:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    It can be tough to remove stickers without leaving some tell-tale signs that a sticker was there.

But the bottom line is that if the covering is vinyl, it could probably be carefully removed later, but if the covering is the old fashioned material that was in common use through the mid to late 1940's, the sticker would probably take at least some of the old covering with it.
    The covering kind of looks like a kind of painted fabric material. Not vinyl for sure. So I don't think any stickers could be taken off without causing problems. So they'd have to be on for the duration and be part of the future vintage appeal.

What Todd said also resonates:

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    I do not put stickers on vintage cases. While I have several vintage instrument and I don't particularly baby them in terms of play and travel, I do try to avoid alterations that are not clearly in the realm of repair and maintenance. I have lots of stickers on my Caltons. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post

Name:	20201127_083116.jpg 
Size:	713.9 KB 
ID:	190076

Your case too, could look this cool
    I do already have one case that might just be cooler than that, given it's custom padding and humble chipboard origins. And I'm not even showing the crease in the back

Name:	20201127_165725.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	429.1 KB 
ID:	190089

Name:	20201127_165800.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	510.4 KB 
ID:	190090

I do already have one case that might just be cooler than that, given it's custom padding and humble chipboard origins. And I'm not even showing the crease in the back

Name:	20201127_165725.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	429.1 KB 
ID:	190089

Name:	20201127_165800.jpg 
Size:	510.4 KB 
ID:	190090
    Good looking case 👍

13. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

If it makes you happy to do it, go ahead. If a lingering doubt, wait and do it later. I have stickers on some cases and not on others. And yes, they leave goo on tweed cases, even when they fall off voluntarily, although I haven't bothered to try to clean it off.

You could drop your mandolin when you take it out of the case, but the potential loss of value is probably overcome by the joy of playing. Just a thought.....
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

15. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

I have stickers on one guitar case that I don't expect ever to sell (famous last words) and one cheap after market mandolin case. That scratches the itch without potentially messing up a case for a guitar that may be eventually sold. There's no law against doing what you want with your own property, but you have to accept the next owner likely won't like it as much as you do.

Quote Originally Posted by dave vann View Post
    I'd buy a decent case (maybe like a crossrock ~$75) and put your mandolin in it and your sticker on it. Save the original case for if and when you sell it.
    ^^ This^^
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dodson View Post
    . There's no law against doing what you want with your own property, but you have to accept the next owner likely won't like it as much as you do.
    That is it. Right there. And I refuse as much as possible to let the likes an dislikes of an as yet unnamed future buyer of my stuff to dictate what I can do with my stuff.

You homeowners know this well. I had to purchase a new washer and dryer, and had my eyes on a stacked pair of small machines, just right for my needs. But, as was explained to me, I should buy according to the house, which has three bedrooms, so that when I go to sell the house.... So I found a pair of regular sized machines that I liked, and especially because they were in a beautiful electric green color. But, as was explained to me, always buy white because a dryer lasts twice as long as a washer, and when you go to replace the washer you won't be able to find that shade of green again, but will always be able to match white white, and when you go to sell the house....
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

19. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

I got'em on my Calton and don't care what the next owner thinks.......I like 'em.

The case came with my early 40's Stradolin and is probably the original case.
    Why not, I applied one to my 1939 Harley knuckle with late 30’s Indian tanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knuck1.jpg 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	190112  

Yes.

Name:	4408801B-E7DD-48AA-BD76-B0675D07E903.jpg 
Size:	671.0 KB 
ID:	190114
    No.

Name:	76CCE80E-2955-4391-94C5-A57F3F2CA3F9.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	770.1 KB 
ID:	190115
    Maybe.

Name:	FABB8E31-C39B-4F57-9F67-81FDEFF44907.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	919.3 KB 
ID:	190116

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I refuse as much as possible to let the likes an dislikes of an as yet unnamed future buyer of my stuff to dictate what I can do with my stuff.
    Bingo.

Dig it.

Let em' pound sand....
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

So I fully agree with Jeff and Murphy and others about enjoying your own stuff the way you want it, yet I still hesitate to do something that might intrinsically cause damage to something old. Is this cognitive dissonance? Especially if it is not an overly rare item. If you feel you want to preserve something, is it only because someone else might want to see it that way later?
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; Nov-29-2020 at 12:04pm.

So I fully agree with Jeff and Murphy and others about enjoying your own stuff the way you want it, yet I still hesitate to do something that might intrinsically cause damage to something old. Is this cognitive dissonance? Especially if it is not an overly rare item. If you feel you want to preserve something, is it only because someone else might want to see it that way later?
    It's been four days! I'm just dying to know if you're gonna jump or not!!!

The waters nice! I'll count to 3!

3... 2...

I think that when one is in that much doubt, the safest thing is not to. Avoids regret. At least until you change your mind.

My only vintage case is also chipboard and like Zach I put in my own support/lining (the material is from an old pair of corduroy trousers). I have two stickers on it since the photos were taken.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 12.43.28 PM.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	190132Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 12.44.07 PM.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	190133
    Cary Fagan

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Fagan View Post

My only vintage case is also chipboard and like Zach I put in my own support/lining
    Thanks, but that was Sue's chipboard case

I would consider a vintage Lifton case a little rare, not all Gibson's come with an original case, let alone other vintage mandolins. They will be more rare as time goes on and they deteriorate. I put mine away and use a modern case to keep it from getting more used up. Still no stickers tho.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

29. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Well, you guys might or might not be interested in what I decided, at least for now. Well, I know Zach is, anyway

I decided not to put the sticker on the case for now. Not because I care about what the hypothetical next person thinks, but because I just decided not to change it for now. (I haven't fixed the handle as of yet either, I was going to wrap it with gaffer's tape, or, my brother thought I should replace it with a 40's suitcase handle). I'm not going to put it away and not use it, either, because I do like looking at it, and I'm not saving it for anybody. The other cases will likely get pretty stickered up, except for the gator case, because I don't think stickers will adhere to it. I might consider drawing on that one with opaque fabric markers, though.

I'm going to put the extra sticker on my car, assuming it passes inspection

BTW, Jeff, I would have gone with the green appliances. I didn't even know you could get them in green, that would be awesome

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

Nice! That's great Sue

It was fun to follow along while made this decision.

33. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post: