Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: what do you think would be the best case ever.

Default what do you think would be the best case ever.

hi all, i'm getting ready to make my molds for carbon fiber/ fiberglass/ carbon kevlar cases and i need some opinions on what you guys would like in a case. Shaped, rectangular or teardrop? size? material? inside lining? etc? thanks guys..(and gals)

Default Re: what do you think would be the best case ever.

I love the lines of arrow-shaped cases, and they are a tad lighter and more space economic than a rectangular case. Plus it's still a versatile shape, as they can still be lined for A-styles, F-styles, or Two-points.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Another vote for the arrow shaped cases here - preferably with a nice leather handle and crushed velvet interior lining!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I like the shaped case with rings to clip a strap to it to carry the case on a shoulder.

My ideal case would be a CF case between the size of an original Loar-era rectangular case and a Duff rectangular case. I have a Price-Nelson, which because of its' size and weight, gives excellent protection. A good CF case could be made a bit slimmer all around and offer the same protection, with probably equal interior room. I went with the P-N over a smaller, shaped case for the interior room and do not regret that decision. D rings of course, and a big fattie leather handle.

mandolinist, Mixt Company D C Blood's Avatar

A shaped case, small enough to carry on a plane, but big enough to have ample storage compartments...maybe one at end of neck and one under neck. Like a Peg...
    D C Blood Mixt Company
    '96 Ratcliff Silver Eagle/Angel
    '09 Silverangel F5 distressed
    '09 Ratcliff A model distressed
    ..Blue Chip pick user...
    www.facebook.com/davidcblood
    www.facebook.com/silverangelmandolins
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=109 photo album url

Best case ever? Able to withstand forklifts, climate controlled interior, small enough to fit in overheads and easy to carry.

Best case ever?

Hmmmm......

How about a fiberglass rectangular shell, something like a Presto with rounded edges and corners for strength, but with a plush interior layout similar to the great Loar-era cases?

- John

From dealing with players over the years I've concluded that most people want a case that weighs a pound or less yet can be run over by a 747 with no damage, is small enough to fit in a brief case yet has storage enough for three years worth of old set lists, three or four electronic tuners, a strap or two, a music stand, a wind breaker and a bag lunch, has a comfortable handle, a shoulder strap and backpack straps, is totally water and weather proof, automatically maintains proper relative humidity, and costs about $40.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    From dealing with players over the years I've concluded that most people want a case that weighs a pound or less yet can be run over by a 747 with no damage, is small enough to fit in a brief case yet has storage enough for three years worth of old set lists, three or four electronic tuners, a strap or two, a music stand, a wind breaker and a bag lunch, has a comfortable handle, a shoulder strap and backpack straps, is totally water and weather proof, automatically maintains proper relative humidity, and costs about $40.
    Yes, that's the case! And a built in ToneRite.

It's already been made & discontinued - the Mark Leaf Mandolin case !. This is my old banjo case (now owned by a guy in the USA).The Mandolin cases were pretty similar,rock solid,bomb-proof & nicely upholstered inside.The exterior of 'chopped strand' glass cloth doesn't look as svelte as other f/glass cases,but there are no laminations to de-laminate - an incredible case,
    Ivan
    PS - Mandomania - forget carbon fibre unless you want it on the outside as a 'finish' .You can go with a glass/kevlar lay-up for the same strength & also better impact durability - the weak point of CF.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inner 2.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	257.4 KB 
ID:	46610   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Side.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	46611  
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

That's a great looking case Ivan. What was the weight and cost? Do the arrows indicate a problem with the hinge straps and seal in those two areas?

I'm with Ivan!

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Leaf cases were a little heavier than Caltons and about the same price.
    I still have two of them, and inside one of them is where I store and transport my banjo. When I get where I'm going, if I have to walk far, I transfer the banjo to a gig bag with backpack straps. Especially at outdoor festivals I found that I wasn't playing as much music as I got older because I didn't want to carry my banjo around in the heavy Leaf case. The gig bag has made me banjo-mobile again.
    A problem with Leaf cases has been the handles. They apparently bought standard handles from various suppliers, and the handles were not intended for that much weight and commonly failed. Both of mine have replacement handles at this point.

It's interesting, in a way.
    30 years ago, nearly everyone was pretty satisfied with their stock cases, but traveling serious musicians would usually show up with Leaf cases. Then some of them started showing up with sleek-looking Caltons, then more Caltons, then lawyers and CEOs started using Caltons though their instruments never left the house, then lots of people got Caltons, then Leaf went out of business.

There, as best I recall, were two sizes of mandolin case made by Leaf. Both are fairly hefty. A CF/Carbon Kevlar could be a lot less bulky and probably offer as much protection.
    I still toss in my vote for a rectangular style bomb-proof Lightweight case.

...can be run over by a 747 with no damage, is small enough to fit in a brief case...
    Instead of CF, sounds like you need one made out of the same material as the 747's black box.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Maybe build it Like a Luggage Trolley.
    inset wheels , a pull up handle, and a fold out shelf on the opposite side
    to haul the rest of your gear on .
    a set of backpack straps and a waist belt as a system would help carry it up stairs,
    but for the most part just tow it behind you with your soft sided carry-on
    right to the Gate.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

...and with a pneumatic tire option for pulling it around at festivals.
    ~ Mark Twain

Funniest post I've seen on here in awhile.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Blog Entries

Chris (and John) It's funny 'cause it's true!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

From my perspective, the ideal case would be:

Arrow shape (is that what people are calling teardrop?), so the accessory pocket can be large. A rectangular case is wasted space (IMO), and a closely fitted case doesn't have the accessory pocket room I like.

The accessory pocket would be large enough to fit a Peterson StroboFlip tuner, a 35mm film can for picks, and a few string packets. The Travelite case pocket is perfect; it's one reason I use that case for light duty transport.

The interior would be cloth over "crushable" foam, so it can fit a mandolin without a Tonegard with a snug fit, but also be indented as needed to fit a Tonegard. At this point I won't consider a case that won't fit a mandolin with Tonegard attached (another reason I'm using the Travelite).

I'd rather have Kevlar/glass than carbon fiber, mainly because it might cost less. I don't need the "glamor" factor of carbon, and they don't always weigh significantly less than a good Kevlar/glass case. But I'd buy a CF case if it met the other needs listed here.

Color options are nice. At least have one lighter color like white, beige or light gray for people who can't avoid brief periods of exposure to sunlight in the summertime.

I know some folks like D-rings on hard cases for arm straps and shoulder backpack straps, but that doesn't appeal to me. They rattle, and if they're on the bottom of the case for backpacking, they can scratch furniture when the case is placed horizontally. Instead I'd like to see an optional weather cover for the case, made of coated (semi-waterproof) nylon cordura fabric, with padded shoulder straps.

Finally, figure out a "stopper" that keeps the lid from falling back completely when opened, but that isn't a fabric loop that always manages to fold the wrong way and get caught in the hinge.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandomania7923 View Post
    hi all, i'm getting ready to make my molds for carbon fiber/ fiberglass/ carbon kevlar cases and i need some opinions on what you guys would like in a case. Shaped, rectangular or teardrop? size? material? inside lining? etc? thanks guys..(and gals)
    Light light light. Then how about, instead of shaped to the instrument, shape it to my back and shoulder and shoulder, so I can sling it over my shoulder and it sits comfortably while I carry other luggage or other instruments, or fishing equipment.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Hmmm. As a serious answer, I'm pretty much a cheapskate, so between $80-150 with a pocket for storage (I like the overall arrow shape best) and accomodate shorter necked oval hole instruments. D rings for shoulder/backpack straps would be great. Funky colors inside and out are a plus to me. Smooth surfaces outside are better for stickers than lots of edges and other lines.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Thanks everyone for your input and i think i will start out with a Shaped case, With a fiberglass test, then a carbon fiber. Eventually i will add probably an A style, a teardrop, and a rectangular, after i get started. PS. They will have different inside options, so you will be able to have an A style Iniside. I might try that colored carbon fiber. but i think i will be doing some carbon kevlar.

Hi, I personally like rings for backpack straps, but I also like the idea of a nylon cover which has an outside pocket and rings for shoulder and backpack straps. That way, around the house or just going to the local jam, you can take it around with just the handle, and for more active situations use the cover with various strap options.