Thread: Sitting Support “Stand” For Mandolin

Default Sitting Support “Stand” For Mandolin

Hi Mandolin Players,

I have an Eastman 505 mandolin that I am learning with currently. I always play seated with the mandolin supported and held by a neck strap. I play acoustic guitar seated and use a support called a NeckUp which is a leather device using a suction cup that along with the guitar end pin or strap button attach to the body of the guitar. You can see one at www.neckup.com. I’ve been using a Neckup for about six years and honestly don’t know what I would do without it (way more comfortable and healthy for my back and neck than a foot stool or crossing a leg).

I really don’t like playing with a strap around my neck and it still seems to make me hunch over the mandolin. Is there something similar to the Neckup or something functionally that does the same thing for mandolin players?

Thanks for any feedback.

Cheers,

Sprintbob
    Last edited by Sprintbob; Dec-07-2020 at 5:58am.

Default Re: Sitting Support “Stand” For Mandolin

I don't know of one commercially available but a mandolin is so light that it is not really the same issue as a guitar. Having said that I have always found that the bottom point in an F style mandolin sticks in my leg. When playing at home sitting down I just put a duster underneath. A couple of years ao I went to the length of having an F4 style mandolin made by Buldog Mandolins USA (Barry Kratzer) and had it made without the bottom point. It looks great and does the job. I had thought of devising a thing not unsimilar to the neck up but just to steer the point away from my leg. I definitely think it would be welcomed although even sittin down, many players just hold their mandolin in such a way that the point does not infringe on their leg.
    Jimmy P
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy powells View Post
    I don't know of one commercially available but a mandolin is so light that it is not really the same issue as a guitar. Having said that I have always found that the bottom point in an F style mandolin sticks in my leg. When playing at home sitting down I just put a duster underneath. A couple of years ao I went to the length of having an F4 style mandolin made by Buldog Mandolins USA (Barry Kratzer) and had it made without the bottom point. It looks great and does the job. I had thought of devising a thing not unsimilar to the neck up but just to steer the point away from my leg. I definitely think it would be welcomed although even sittin down, many players just hold their mandolin in such a way that the point does not infringe on their leg.
    Jimmy P
    UK
    Yea, it’s not about weight, it’s more about fixing the mandolin in a cradled position in your lap allowing both feet on the floor which is the most healthy and comfortable sitting position. My strap is narrow (at least to me) and perhaps using a wider strap could help also. At least the strap keeps both feet on the floor.

Put the strap over the right shoulder and don’t go around your neck a la Bill Monroe.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

5. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Put the strap over the right shoulder and don’t go around your neck a la Bill Monroe.
    Thanks Tim, I’ll give that a shot.

I only play standing because I already have back issues. Mandolin is such featherweight instrument, standing shouldn't be an issue

Quote Originally Posted by Sprintbob View Post
    Yea, it’s not about weight, it’s more about fixing the mandolin in a cradled position in your lap allowing both feet on the floor which is the most healthy and comfortable sitting position.
    The old-school mandolin method books preferred to have the instrument on the thigh, not cradled:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holding-the-mandolin.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	190327

No strap needed, no other devices needed; I've been playing bowl and flatback mandolins this way for decades...and ouds and Greek bouzoukis too.

Once you learn to support the mandolin this way it's easy to hold it.

Just a thought based on traditional methods.

This is from the website you linked regarding their "Neck Up Mini":
    "Also works well for resonator banjos, mandolins, and ukuleles."

https://www.neckup.com/Products/NeckUp/GS-MiniNB.html
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

10. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post

Holy cow Batman, I missed that. I bought and still think I have the narrow Neckup for a Taylor T5 I had at one point so hopefully it’s in my spare’s drawer. They use a smaller suction cup for the narrower width so I hope it works with the MD 505. Stay tuned.

Blog Entries

I find that when I am scrupulous about holding the mandolin per Mike Marshall's famous video, I don't need a strap. YMMV
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post

Woo hoo! I had the smaller diameter cups set up on the Neckup in my travel guitar case so I adjusted for the smaller mandolin body and it works perfect. The peghead is right at shoulder height and the mandolin with the Neckup sits comfortably on my right thigh. Very comfy, relaxed, and stable and feel less like I am hunching over the instrument. I know it’s not traditional but sure works nice.

14. The following members say thank you to Sprintbob for this post: