Thread: Burgin Shanghai Octave Mandolin review

Default Burgin Shanghai Octave Mandolin review

I wanted to give a quick review of my octave mandolin from Paddy Burgin (http://www.burginguitars.co.nz/instruments/cut-away/). This was a custom order which took about three months to have built. It has a 585 mm scale. The back and sides are Tasmanian Blackwood which I chose myself before the instrument was built. This review is pretty simple to do because everything about the build and the resulting instrument has been terrific. Paddy is both a luthier and a recording musician. He is about the nicest guy you would want to meet. He was in contact with me and sent pictures several days each week throughout the entire building process. He constantly checked in with me and it was literally as if I was sitting in his shop with my feet up having a beer and chewing the fat while he built a fantastic instrument for me. It is a very beautiful instrument, built with marvelous craftsmanship and care. It has a rich deep tone and great resonance - just a wonderful sounding instrument. I just love it.
    Now to get used to this big bear of a long scale!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7616E21B-6831-4EA2-A1E3-B50D5CC3DC0A.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	978.9 KB 
ID:	190195

Name:	C0C671ED-960F-481C-9514-BA97FC5AE814.jpeg 
Views:	100 
Size:	828.6 KB 
ID:	190196

Name:	129AF65A-86DD-4496-B67D-3A6054A7292F.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	874.0 KB 
ID:	190197

Name:	6194ABFF-8013-4112-8A07-F92152C15023.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	857.4 KB 
ID:	190198

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

2. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

Gunnar 

Default Re: Burgin Shanghai Octave Mandolin review

I am just curious, Tim. What is the nut width? In the photos and the ones on his site it looks wider than others I have seen. Also what top wood did you choose? So the scale length is 23" (hard for me to speak mm) is that his standard bouzouki length or was that custom too? He doesn't seem to mention octaves on his site. I love those down-under woods. Boy, you are acquiring quite a collection of top notch mandolin family instruments. Congratulations.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Beautiful! Love the wood choice, slotted peghead and those looong points! What tuners did he use?

Oh yeah, the shell work is nice too.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

5. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Wow! Very stunning! Thanks for sharing

7. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

"Jim Garber: I am just curious, Tim. What is the nut width? In the photos and the ones on his site it looks wider than others I have seen. Also what top wood did you choose? So the scale length is 23" (hard for me to speak mm) is that his standard bouzouki length or was that custom too? He doesn't seem to mention octaves on his site. I love those down-under woods. Boy, you are acquiring quite a collection of top notch mandolin family instruments. Congratulations."

The nut is 1.496". I asked Paddy to pick the best possible spruce based on some tonal characteristics I gave him. I never asked him what he chose - need to though. I picked the scale length after a great deal of discussion with Paddy re. playability and tonal qualities. I don't think he has a "standard" scale length. Yes, thank you, I feel very fortunate to own these instruments!!!
    Last edited by Tim Logan; Dec-02-2020 at 10:56pm.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Beautiful! Love the wood choice, slotted peghead and those looong points! What tuners did he use?

yeah, the shell work is nice too.
    Thank you! Here is a picture of the shell work in process:

Name:	7AA5995A-4061-461E-80DD-ECFCD9C0B923.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	625.9 KB 
ID:	190208

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post

Oh yeah, the shell work is nice too.
    Oh - and the tuners are Grovers. BTW the fretboard is radiused.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

A magnificent creation. How about a sound sample now, Tim? I would love to hear this one.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

[QUOTE=John Kelly;1797906]A magnificent creation. How about a sound sample now, Tim? I would love to hear this one.[/[QUOTE]

Sorry but LOL, with this gigantic fretboard, that will be awhile - give me a few weeks or so!!!!! I have an audio file Paddy made on it before shipping - but when I try to post it doesn't seem to work.
    Last edited by Tim Logan; Dec-03-2020 at 9:26am.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

It looks very lovely, Tim. I bet it sounds great. And from a very cool place, New Zealand. How did you come to choose this particular builder?

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    It looks very lovely, Tim. I bet it sounds great. And from a very cool place, New Zealand. How did you come to choose this particular builder?
    Hi Sue - I did a lot of research and talked with a lot of builders. Price and build time were important factors. Paddy fit the parameters on all counts.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I am just curious, Tim. What is the nut width? In the photos and the ones on his site it looks wider than others I have seen. Also what top wood did you choose? So the scale length is 23" (hard for me to speak mm) is that his standard bouzouki length or was that custom too? He doesn't seem to mention octaves on his site. I love those down-under woods. Boy, you are acquiring quite a collection of top notch mandolin family instruments. Congratulations.
    Paddy just let me know that the top is bear claw sitka spruce. That's appropriate because when you hold this monster in your lap you just want to give it a big bear hug! My dream is to play the Bach Cello Suites on it - so have begun getting familiar with those gigantic frets using the suites. This thing was MADE for Bach. Oh do I love that big resonant tone vibrating through me! It is just too, too cool!

Name:	5F95EE32-8ED8-4F3F-9358-174009BB0C22.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	190292

Name:	307D9BBD-EECE-401D-8B84-6D0CD7BA65D1.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	291.1 KB 
ID:	190293

Name:	65157318-1726-4C50-A924-AE0CD2EB0E85.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	331.4 KB 
ID:	190294

Paddy asked me a great number of questions in the planning stages about my musical interests, tonal preferences, playing style - even picks. In the end I told him to pick best top wood he could find for my interests. As I mentioned, the back and sides were actually wood I sought out and located in Australia. Paddy then ordered it directly. Here's a link to the supplier - you might enjoy the eye candy;

https://guitartimbers.com/
    Last edited by Tim Logan; Dec-06-2020 at 2:40am.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Tim, did you have a tough time with customs, getting this in the US?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Tim, did you have a tough time with customs, getting this in the US?
    Absolutely no problem what so ever. The port of entry was San Francisco and it went through in just a few hours.The majority of Paddy's customers are in the United States and he has never had a problem. I understand your asking because at one time I tried to buy a vintage mandolin which was taken over by customs forever!!! The seller refunded my costs though - most fortunately.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

As I spend more and more time with it, I am flipping out over this OM. I'm kinda' speechless and agog at how wonderful it sounds and feels to play. It gets better every minute. I call it The Bear.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Wow, that's high praise!

20. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

You've got to like his maccaferri styled mandolins too
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

22. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

I have had this octave mandolin for over a month now. Every day I enjoy it more. Fingering challenges are becoming quite manageable as is tremolo on the heavier strings. I highly recommend the two points as it makes a 23" scale length mando completely comfortable to hold. The instrument brings me no end of enjoyment! I cannot say enough about this instrument in particular and octave mandolins in general!

Name:	48EA4981-E6B0-44E7-A400-ADE9DBC6971E.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	555.9 KB 
ID:	190954

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)