Thread: New to OM--where do I start?

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

Default New to OM--where do I start?

Hiya,

I am awaiting the arrival of an Eastman MDO-305 that I just ordered (used!) from Elderly. I have a solid background in violin, a fairly strong piano history, a nodding acquaintance with stand-up bass, and have been back at mandolin for a few months with decent progress.

I covet your suggestions, tips, advice, and any other miscellaneous words you'd be willing to send my way regarding starting to learn the octave mandolin.

Thanks!!
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.

Default Re: New to OM--where do I start?

Well if you like folk and bluegrass I have two words "Tim O'Brien" ... Tim has been one of the few players who uses an octave regularly.
    if you are into fiddle tunes those are a good place to start, I also find Celtic Jigs Reels, Hornpipes and Aires work well on octave.
    I always say if you want to learn all the possible sounds of an instrument, Bach ( especially the dance suites) are a great path to study, with the understanding that Bach did not write specifically for octave mandolin, and some of the violin fingering is challenging on octave.

overall I probably play my octave(s) more than any other of my mandos ( i go through phases) - so welcome and enjoy
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tmsweeney For This Useful Post:

I agree completely about Tim O'Brien, and I'd also add Sarah Jarosz and Sierra Hull to the list of contemporary players who have done some great things on the OM.

The biggest difference you're going to find between violin/mandolin and OM is that each finger only covers 1/2-step (1 fret), rather than a whole step (2 frets). I felt that playing both guitar and mandolin really helped me take on the OM, since it uses the fret-per-finger approach of guitar and the fretboard map of the mandolin. Basically, my home base for my left hand on the OM is the 2nd-5th frets, with my index finger stretching to get the 1st fret and my pinky stretching to get the 6th fret. Along with the stretching, I have to shift my hand a bit to reach those two frets in 1st position. On mandolin --- and I'm guessing violin --- your left hand can usually stay put in 1st position.

Also, for chords, plan on mainly using two-finger ones, taking advantage of an open string or two whenever that fits the chord.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marcus CA For This Useful Post:

The first tune I learned on the octave mandolin was "Cherokee Shuffle." Molly Tuttle was demonstrating a Nugget octave mandolin at Carter's and the video gives a good view of her left hand. But she also seems to demonstrate the power of the "sustain" of the instrument, which I think makes them so distinctive from a regular mandolin.

And the second tune I learned was "Kitchen Girl." I watched Chip Bach (who I think is a member of this forum) on YouTube and was impressed with the syncopated, droning A string. Hard to do stuff like that on a regular mandolin. Here's a link: https://youtu.be/B6UQwyGXxZA

And I agree with Marcus--prepare to use your pinky finger a lot.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Young For This Useful Post:

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

Thanks for the comments. I am grateful. During that time I was playing stand-up (I was attending a junior high that didn't have an orchestra, but the band director was willing to have me play bass in his woodwinds class--go figure) I became very familiar with moving my hand up and down the instrument's neck and stretching for the right note. It sounds like I'll get to revisit those days, but with frets.

I love the deeper, mellow tone of the OM. I'm looking forward to getting acquainted with her.
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.

9. The following members say thank you to Sheila Lagrand for this post:

Gunnar