Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tone Gard - Comfortable ?

Default Re: Tone Gard - Comfortable ?

Thinking about getting one for my Northfield. Anyone know if the F5S fits the standard size?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gnann View Post
    Why is that the only instrument that needs a Tone Guard is a mandolin? I don't see these offered for guitars. Or banjos, like they need to be louder! Or an upright bass. (That might look like a trapeze). Or a fiddle. I can just see a philharmonic orchestra all outfitted with harnesses holding up their instruments. Yeah that piano would sound better suspended from the ceiling. Sorry but until very recently the only thing I ever considered was a simple strap. I've tried to get a smaller belly to increase my projection but thats another topic for another day. If it works for you well fine. In the meantime I've need to adjust the bunny ears on my TV so i can watch the 11 o'clock news. Over and out.
    The resonator/back on a banjo reflects the sound forward and does not vibrate in the same way as a mandolin or guitar back and I’ve yet to come accross an upright bass player who holds the back against their body.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcdraayer View Post
    Thinking about getting one for my Northfield. Anyone know if the F5S fits the standard size?
    Get in touch with Tony Pires via the Tonegard website and he’ll tell you.

Elderly
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Quote Originally Posted by J Mangio View Post
    Elderly
    I’m not quite that old!

Blog Entries

I’ve used a tone guard for years. It’s comfortable standing or sitting, don’t even know it’s there anymore.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

7. The following members say thank you to John Hill for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chompa View Post
    Hmmmm... interesting discovery today. I received my Tone-Gard right before Christmas and installed it right away on my Eastman MD314. Today, I removed it for the first time to try it on another mandolin. That's when I noticed that four (4) of the nine (9) black pads (that contact the back of the instrument) are missing. It's the four in a row on the treble side. I can see the hardened glue residue spots on the metal where the pads should be. Checked the case and floor to sure they didn't just fall off... Nada. I emailed the dealer with pics asking for their resolution.. Not sure what the pad material is ... don't want to make my own (rubber or such) for fear of damaging the finish. Waiting for their response.
    Just a follow up on my Tone-Gard issue. The dealer (Acoustic Shoppe) was very responsive. I spoke with John (co-owner). I asked if he could just send me some replacement pads so I wouldn't need to send the Tone-Gard back. The pads arrived in the mail directly from Tony Pires (Tone-Gard maker) in a few days. Tony included a personal note and directions with 6 pads (a tube of Super Glue, too). All better now ! I'm ordering a second Tone-Gard for my other Eastman.
    Great product, great service, really good guys.

I don't use a tone guard or need one. Granted years of playing live electric guitar didn't improve my hearing. I can play my mandolin against and away from my body and I can't hear any difference in tone or volume. Being a couch player nowadays lessens minute demands, plus I simply don't want that thang on my mandolin

Why is that the only instrument that needs a Tone Guard is a mandolin? I don't see these offered for guitars. Or banjos, like they need to be louder! Or an upright bass. (That might look like a trapeze). Or a fiddle. I can just see a philharmonic orchestra all outfitted with harnesses holding up their instruments.
    Straight from the website:

"I also make DolaGards™ for Gibson™ mandolas, the D-Gard™ to fit Martin™ dreadnought guitars, and B-Gards™ for banjos."

I have a D-gard for my Martin HD-28. Works just as well and comfortably there as on my mandolins, resonator mandolin, mandola and octave mandolin.

Upright basses, violins, violas, cellos and pianos are surprisingly not played by being clasped against the player's front. So no, they don't need Ton-Gards.

I've just ordered a Tone-Gard for my Eastman 305. I experimented first with a viola shoulder rest. Holding it away from the body with that made a big difference from the player's point of view at least (we may be hearing some of that sound coming from the back?). The viola shoulder rest was effective for a trial, but is knocked off too easily to be a proper fix. I would think those that hold the mando out in front with the strap over their right shoulder may not notice so much difference.

I ordered from Elderly Instruments - their website says 'could be a month or two due to Covid', but I got their despatch notice just a few days after ordering. BTW - there are violin shoulder rest pads that full up the space between the back of the instrument and the shoulder, and those I tried did reduce the volume a bit. Most create an air gap between the back and your shoulder, like the Tone-Gard.

A month or two?! I ordred direct from Tony and it took 3 weeks. Expect a bill from the UK taxman. Who’s it being shipped with?

I think that notice was directed to all online customers, US and rest of world. You've probably had the same thing in UK currently - 'in current circs delivery may be delayed', then it turns up overnight. Dunno who it's being shipped with, but there's some evidence that UK Customs aren't being over diligent at the moment. My boy's had stuff from Stew Mac (guitar parts and tools) with nothing to pay on over £80. I got a mando arm rest from Poland recently for about the same with no extra duty, and exercise machine springs from Germany ditto (wonder if those are zero rated?). I can't figure out customs charges - in the past I've had £30 cost, £4 duty and £8 duty collection charge in UK, and no duty on cello strings that cost £180. So It'll be a nail biter!

Not quite the same experience here. I’ve had two deliveries since Brexit - one from the US and one from Germany. I’ve been stung for duty/VAT and commisison charges on both. The really annoying part is that the carriers never detail how the customs fees have been calculated. Maybe that’s the fault of HMRC.

To me Tone gard makes sense when I play standing, sitting not so much.
    Best

Quote Originally Posted by Willow20 View Post
    To me Tone gard makes sense when I play standing, sitting not so much.
    Best
    That is basically the consensus. It easier to hold the mandolin away from the body while seated. Not as easy while standing.

I just got my first Tone-Gard for my Ellis A Deluxe and it has been a true revelation. It's great.

just wow, blown away

Blog Entries

Why is that the only instrument that needs a Tone Guard is a mandolin? I don't see these offered for guitars. Or banjos, like they need to be louder! Or an upright bass. (That might look like a trapeze). Or a fiddle.
    There is no voodoo about it. Any instrument where the back of the instrument vibration is an important part of the sound AND where the back can get damped by holding it against your body, would benefit from a tonegard. So lets see that would be, mandolin and guitar.

As an aside, if I could get a smaller belly, a whole lot of things would be different, let me tell you.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Comfortable? C'mon guys! I know you like the (sonic) results, but that's kinda like asking "is that whale-bone lace-up corset comfortable?"

Oh, brother!

I’ve got’em on my Weber, Northfield and Collings...I find them very comfortable. Not only do they work as advertised they also protect the back of your mando from scratches.
    Pomeroy F5 2003
    Weber Madison F5 2013
    Weber Sweet Pea travel mando 2006
    Eric Ouren open back banjo
    Bart Reiter open back banjo

They’re likely to be uncomfortable if you’re in the habit of playing topless but at least they should stop the back of your mandolin from sticking to your chest!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Comfortable? C'mon guys! I know you like the (sonic) results, but that's kinda like asking "is that whale-bone lace-up corset comfortable?"

Oh, brother!
    Hahahaha...
    Since I started this thread with "Did it affect the way you normally held your mandolin? Require an adjustment to get used to the feel?" and now that I've had one for a month or so....
    I would say "au naturale" (whale-bone corset-less) may be better but at least the "Sunrise" model Gard is not UN-comfortable (don't know about the other designs) and it actually seems to help stabilize the position of the mando while playing in a standing position. I'm ordering a second one...

It (toneguard) also protects the back of the mandolin from damage when laying it down on a hard surface or from shirt buttons. My 14 yr old Weber is in pristine shape after thousands of hours of gig use, and I frequently wear pearly snap shirts on stage.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Not quite the same experience here. I’ve had two deliveries since Brexit - one from the US and one from Germany. I’ve been stung for duty/VAT and commisison charges on both. The really annoying part is that the carriers never detail how the customs fees have been calculated. Maybe that’s the fault of HMRC.
    It's really annoying. I asked for a detailed receipt and they simply refused!

I do know that Post Office also added £8 handling charge to the last ToneGard I bought direct from Tony, on top of VAT and maybe duty

I say maybe, because duty shouldn't be charged on items costing less than £135 whether coming from USA or EU, and VAT shouldn't be charged twice if EU company is registered for VAT in UK.
    Bren

Import duty and VAT is becoming something of an urban myth in the UK. Don’t forget that you’re also liable to pay VAT on the shipping costs.

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty