Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tone Gard - Comfortable ?

Default Re: Tone Gard - Comfortable ?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Edwards View Post
    BTW, how many bought direct from Tony?
    Only one. For the Eastman OM. Sent in the measurements and ended up with the first one.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I always use them. For the record, I don't think that the size of one's belly has any bearing on the usefulness of the tone guard. If the back of the instrument touches your chest, it's deadening the volume and tone to some degree whether you perceive it or not. The tone guard eliminates that contact. Is it less comfortable than not using one? Yes. Do you get used to it? Yes.

I bought one and like it, but have inevitably stopped using it. It just hasn’t proved to make that much difference to me. I should probably sell it on the classifieds. I’ve come under the spell of wanting my mando to be pure and, aside from my tiny tuner, without extras clinging to it. *shrug* I have a new mando being built and really don’t want to have anything touching it long term. It’s probably silly.

Thanks for the responses. Plenty of food for thought. You guys were on a roll. I never expected my question would carry so much weight. While I'm digesting all the input, and belly-laughing at a few comments ... I'm thinking .. why isn't there a mandolin product-line that includes the gard as part of the design ? ... "Midriff Mandolins" - "Expand your tone" ... (insert multiple rim shots here - you guys started this).
    Last edited by Chompa; Dec-06-2020 at 8:50pm.

5. The following members say thank you to Chompa for this post:

<Removed by Moderator. You can send the user a Private Message. Please limit commerce to the Classifieds>

Quote Originally Posted by Chompa View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Plenty of food for thought. You guys were on a roll. I never expected my question would carry so much weight. While I'm digesting all the input, and belly-laughing at a few comments ... I'm thinking .. why isn't there a mandolin product-line that includes the gard as part of the design ? ... "Midriff Mandolins" - "Expand your tone" ... (insert multiple rim shots here - you guys started this).
    Probably not the most flattering sales pitch.

I tell people at sessions who ask about it, that my sound dampener has been expanding to meet my sound producer and I needed to give it some space.
    Bren

Quote Originally Posted by withfoam View Post
    I bought one and like it, but have inevitably stopped using it. It just hasn’t proved to make that much difference to me. I should probably sell it on the classifieds. I’ve come under the spell of wanting my mando to be pure and, aside from my tiny tuner, without extras clinging to it. *shrug* I have a new mando being built and really don’t want to have anything touching it long term. It’s probably silly.
    The thing is that, for me, the TG allows me to hear a purer tone. It it didn't make that much difference, then fair enough.
    I've also got a tiny tuner
    Bren

I bought mine direct from Tony and enjoy the improvement in tone. I have had it on my mandolin for years and frankly don't notice it. As a bonus, when I use the mic stand hangar for gigs, it protects the back of my mandolin from banging into the mic stand.

10. The following members say thank you to Leester for this post:

Back varnish of my '22 A4 is protected from sweaty Me, with a Tone Gard .. I can play it, sitting in a chair, without a strap.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

I'm considering a Tone Gard (or two) for Eastman MD305 and/or MD314. I do tend to hold the mandolin close. And I get the principle of the Gard, but I'm curious to know from current (or past) owners if the Gard is a comfortable solution? Did it affect the way you normally held your mandolin? Require an adjustment to get used to the feel?
    Normal to extremely comfortable. Let me explain. When I am conscientious about holding my mandolin correctly, I feel no difference with the ton gard. But after all good intentions, I eventually wonder into a laid back style of holding the instrument, which I find very comfortable, especially when i am tired and have been at it for a long while. So the tone gard allows me this infraction, that i can enjoy an adult beverage, lay back a bit, and keep sounding amazing because the tone gard is between me and the mandolin. The only thing I need to get used to is playing a little softer in small groups when the person across from me complains.

Summary - the tone gard in my experience is totally comfortable and does not need any accommodating, and allows me a greater range of sloppiness in holding the mandolin.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

It should be obvious, but maybe isn't - if you already consistently hold the mandolin away from your body, the tone gard will have no affect on the sound, and provides no advantage. You will hear no difference. By design. Because the tone gard's only purpose is to keep the mandolin back off your belly.

If I could consistently hold the mandolin away from my body, I would not purchase a tone gard.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

. why isn't there a mandolin product-line that includes the gard as part of the design ? ... ".
    Its a decent enough idea. In certain areas it is common enough to see musicians shaped like bowlbacks. Myself included.

The entire staff
    funny....

15. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Normal to extremely comfortable. Let me explain. When I am conscientious about holding my mandolin correctly, I feel no difference with the ton gard. But after all good intentions, I eventually wonder into a laid back style of holding the instrument, which I find very comfortable, especially when i am tired and have been at it for a long while. So the tone gard allows me this infraction, that i can enjoy an adult beverage, lay back a bit, and keep sounding amazing because the tone gard is between me and the mandolin. The only thing I need to get used to is playing a little softer in small groups when the person across from me complains.

Summary - the tone gard in my experience is totally comfortable and does not need any accommodating, and allows me a greater range of sloppiness in holding the mandolin.
    Sloppiness ? People across from me complaining ? It'll be perfect for me !

I appreciate on the input. My tone gard (from The Acoustic Shoppe) is due for delivery tomorrow... Can't wait to try it out on all my mandos..

Bought mine from the House of Musical Traditions in MD.

Bought my first from a cafe member in Scotland. Just ordered another 2 direct from Tony who shipped them within a couple of hours of receiving my order. They’re currently in LA - only 5,300 miles to go!

The biggest advantage of a Tone Guard is that you can play the mandolin without having to change your position or how you hold it. The Tone Guard does the job of what you'd otherwise have to think about. Which would you rather do? Play the mandolin or think about how you're holding it?

That said, the additional weight on the mandolin isn't necessarily a good thing. Just the fact that you're adding something of mass to the body of the mandolin means you're changing its tone, projection, sustain - not all for the worse, mind you. It's just a change.

Yes, I have one on each of my mandolins and have had for 15-16 years. I bought all from Tony except the last which I picked up from Elderly. Both are worthy of our business.

Love to all,
    Kenneth
    Less talk, more pick.

I appreciate on the input. My tone gard (from The Acoustic Shoppe) is due for delivery tomorrow... Can't wait to try it out on all my mandos..
    Got it... Put it on my Eastman MD314 .... Awesome... it stays

Only way to know is to try one ! Some like it and some don’t ! I had one but didn’t hear or feel any difference ! I think it depends on how you hold your mandolin .

If you are standing up to play, I feel like they are a must as it's nearly impossible to get the instrument off your belly / chest when standing without compromising your playing (i.e. holding the instrument away from you).

If you are sitting to play, I think it depends on your style. I often hold my mandolin away from my chest when sitting - so usually not a huge difference there.

Since I play standing up 95% of the time, I have a tonegard on each of my mandolins - and there's a big difference. If you want to get really really technical, you can get one and record yourself playing the same song with and without the tonegard. Aside from listening to the recordings, you can also look at the wave forms to see the difference in volume and etc.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Quote Originally Posted by mbruno View Post
    If you are standing up to play, I feel like they are a must as it's nearly impossible to get the instrument off your belly / chest when standing without compromising your playing (i.e. holding the instrument away from you).

If you are sitting to play, I think it depends on your style. I often hold my mandolin away from my chest when sitting - so usually not a huge difference there.

Since I play standing up 95% of the time, I have a tonegard on each of my mandolins - and there's a big difference. If you want to get really really technical, you can get one and record yourself playing the same song with and without the tonegard. Aside from listening to the recordings, you can also look at the wave forms to see the difference in volume and etc.
    I'd agree with this. Though I'd maybe not describe one as a "must" for standing up playing, it's when I would consider using it. Sitting down, I feel there's no advantage.

Hmmmm... interesting discovery today. I received my Tone-Gard right before Christmas and installed it right away on my Eastman MD314. Today, I removed it for the first time to try it on another mandolin. That's when I noticed that four (4) of the nine (9) black pads (that contact the back of the instrument) are missing. It's the four in a row on the treble side. I can see the hardened glue residue spots on the metal where the pads should be. Checked the case and floor to sure they didn't just fall off... Nada. I emailed the dealer with pics asking for their resolution.. Not sure what the pad material is ... don't want to make my own (rubber or such) for fear of damaging the finish. Waiting for their response.

I just got one for my HD-28 from Elderly. I like it just as much as the mandolin models.

Why is that the only instrument that needs a Tone Guard is a mandolin? I don't see these offered for guitars. Or banjos, like they need to be louder! Or an upright bass. (That might look like a trapeze). Or a fiddle. I can just see a philharmonic orchestra all outfitted with harnesses holding up their instruments. Yeah that piano would sound better suspended from the ceiling. Sorry but until very recently the only thing I ever considered was a simple strap. I've tried to get a smaller belly to increase my projection but thats another topic for another day. If it works for you well fine. In the meantime I've need to adjust the bunny ears on my TV so i can watch the 11 o'clock news. Over and out.
    Last edited by Bob Gnann; Feb-06-2021 at 11:43pm.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

I stand corrected didn't know they were offered for guitars. My opinion hasn't changed however. Bye for now.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx