Thread: Semi-beginner here... trade-up or keep what I have?

Default Semi-beginner here... trade-up or keep what I have?

I’m just enough of a mando player to play it on about 8 songs in my band’s tune list — virtually all chords only so far, mostly just to diversity our sound and not have three guitars competing with each other on many tunes. Classic-rock and modern country stuff. I have been playing my sunburst Godin A8 and really have no complaints about it at all — other than I like the look of a more traditional A or F style. As you might know, the A8 is apparently widely acclaimed for its plugged-in sound. I guess my dilemma is moving to a different mando that suits this style of playing and has a quality plugged-in sound. I have to think that’s quite possible and heck, my ear might not hear the difference between a good Fishman or K&K pickup and this Godin.
    I also have a real preference for North American-made instruments, so I’ve been on the lookout for A or F styles with pickups already in them that aren’t made overseas (and yes, I know there are some real quality instruments being made over there, but I’m not interested).
    So if any of you more experienced players have any recommendations for me as a good step up, probably maxing-out around the $2,200 range, or other advice on what to look for for my style of playing, I’m all ears. Or maybe I should appreciate the mando I have and just go practice more!
    Thanks much, in advance.

Default Re: Semi-beginner here... trade-up or keep what I have?

If you have a need for an excellent mandolin with a good unamplified acoustic sound, go for it. OTOH if you are always going to be playing amplified, I would guess your Godin is excellent for that purpose. Not sure how they sound unamplified. At this point, if you are only playing chords, maybe, start working on playing fills, countermelodies and leads on the mandolin. Maybe keep your eyes and ears out for another mandolin but also put some time into playing and working on more how you can use the mandolin for other tone colors in your band.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

As you say, the A8 has a good reputation for exactly what you're doing with it. I agree with Jim's advice - it's probably an excellent choice for your current purposes, and to build your skills (and your ear) while you figure out what you want in a different instrument. In the price range you're talking about you should be able to find a nice used Collings MT or Weber Gallatin for example, and have an excellent instrument. Those are both made in the US and will kick butt and take names. You may even find one that already has a pickup in it. If you look at those two examples, you'll see they have different neck shapes - the MT has a rounded V shape, and the Webers I've played have all had a more rounded C or D shaped profile. I prefer the latter, but when I play a Collings I settle into it in fairly short order. The V profile is even softer on their wide necks, so something else to keep in mind. Getting comfortable and skillful with the already decent instrument you have will help you evaluate what you like or don't about the sound and feel of other instruments when you play them.

Make sure your A8 has a good setup and appropriate string gauges so it's comfortable for what you want to play on it. I think it'll take you far.

5. The following members say thank you to Alfons for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Just an idea...

You could always get an external pickup (LR Baggs radius, K&K twin external, Fishman M100, JJB, ect.) For less then $200.

Put another $100 into a preamp.

$1500, which, IMHO, goes a long way, into a A shape Mandolin and be way ahead!

Then keep the Godin for silent practice and stage options!

7. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

A used Rigel A Plus Deluxe would fit the bill nicely, and they show up from time to time.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

9. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

As mentioned above a used Collings MT, Weber Gallatin A (might even get an older Gallatin or Bitterroot F within your price range), or Silver Angel would check most of the boxes for what you're looking for, but unless the previous owner put a pickup in you'll likely have to add a pickup yourself. Oh, and also keep an eye out for older used Girouard A's as they pop up in your price range from time to time, great mandolins.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

11. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

This Flatiron at Gryphon Strings comes in just under your max price range, NFI on my part:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/163772#163772
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

13. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

"Or maybe I should appreciate the mando I have and just go practice more!" That's the best advice I heard all day!

15. The following members say thank you to Frankdolin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frankdolin View Post
    "Or maybe I should appreciate the mando I have and just go practice more!" That's the best advice I heard all day!
    A second on this one. I look at the classifieds frequently then play my Breedlove Legacy OF and realize it's not the instrument that's holding me back!

17. The following members say thank you to Leester for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    A used Rigel A Plus Deluxe would fit the bill nicely, and they show up from time to time.
    This suggestion is the best one yet. My thought had been one of the older American-made Ovations:

https://reverb.com/item/36798693-ova...ctric-mandolin

A lot of us of a certain age grew up watching the biggest stars in the world play Kaman instruments on stage.
    Last edited by pheffernan; Dec-05-2020 at 10:32am.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

19. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

I’ll third the Rigel recommendation. I love my CT-110 plugged and unplugged, and the A styles look pretty traditional, at least from the audience. I head up our youth praise band and had been on the lookout for one for a while when this one appeared at Fiddler’s Green, and I pounced. Got to use it exactly once before lockdown back in the spring, insert cussing emoji.

The MM-68s are rebound for their ability to handle loud volume without feedback, but I suspect they wouldn’t necessarily be an upgrade from your A-8.
    Chuck

21. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    The MM-68s are rebound for their ability to handle loud volume without feedback, but I suspect they wouldn’t necessarily be an upgrade from your A-8.
    I was thinking that it might give a little bit more of the traditional look of an acoustic mandolin as well as improved acoustic performance.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

23. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post: