Thread: Time to humidity?

Default Time to humidity?

With the cold weather finally arriving here in Austin Tx.. I just noticed the top on the Waterloo WL-M develop these lines near the edges.

Is this a sign that I need to start humidifying my place?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9AFF6F1E-38C4-4985-B59E-3ACB8463001C.jpeg 
Views:	98 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	190272
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A667BDA9-F66B-426D-BA55-A1FFE45889E3.jpeg 
Views:	169 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	190273
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Default Re: Time to humidity?

Here in central Illinois my humidifier has been running for several weeks !

3. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Are those lines from low humidity or merely the finish settling and exposing texture from the wood grain?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    Are those lines from low humidity or merely the finish settling and exposing texture from the wood grain?
    It looks to be low humidity as there’s very little finish on these Waterloo mandos.
    Waterloo WL-M

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

So a thin finish won’t settle if kept at “perfect” humidity?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    So a thin finish won’t settle if kept at “perfect” humidity?
    That’s a good question..
    Waterloo WL-M

While it's a good idea to humidify (instrument in the case or the whole house) during the winter, I agree with BrianWilliam that your finish is "settling" or offgassing and sinking into the grain of the spruce top. It happens with all newer instruments as the finish ages and hardens. I would not worry about it since all of my acoustic instruments have this effect and I live in west central Florida where humidification is not an issue.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

9. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

I'm just up the road from you in DFW and have never humidified any of my instruments, and I've never had any issues due to humidity.

11. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

The only way for you to know this is to get a hygrometer and keep it in the room you use, I have one and keep my humidity between 40-50% all year.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigskygirl For This Useful Post:

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Use a hygrometer. Don't wait for the wood to split!!
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

15. The following members say thank you to poul hansen for this post:

You really need a hygrometer to know what's going on. I find that something like an Oasis Caliber IV intended for humidors works great. When I lived in Austin, I was always fighting to lower the humidity and now that I live in Colorado at almost 9000', I constantly have 2 or 3 humidifiers running just to hit 45%.

17. The following members say thank you to ivancook for this post:

I think it depends on location, temperature and age of house or construction method. A few years ago I was running small humidifiers and at that time I was working on a project with mechanical engineers. I asked them if I should install a whole house humidifier and they asked "what is the current humidity level?". Hmmm, good question which I did not know the answer to. They loaned me a sling psychrometer, a few hygrometers and I had a few. I covered all the rooms and even with 2 woodstoves running and no humidifiers running the humidity stayed between 40 - 45%. I guess a 100 year old house breathes better than the hermatically sealed new ones.
    So, answer is check the level with several different devices over a period of time. I have not run a humidifier since then as too much humidity comes with it's own set of problems.

I use cheap Chinese electronic hygrometers, on which I have checked calibration using a salt bath.

Most winters I don't need my humidifier, I just fill water in the two balcony flower boxes I have on my radiators.
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....

Blog Entries

If you live in the north country fair, where "snowflakes storm, when the rivers freeze and summer ends" then yes buy a good hygrometer and read it every morning and evening. The best solution is to buy an old house with steam heat radiators -- not only will your instruments thank you your throat and sinuses will as well. Failing that choose a room you can close off from the rest of the house and buy a room humidifier (5 - 10 gallon reservoir) should cost circa $125 - 200. Remember to fill it every night and its a good idea to add a tablespoon of white vinegar to every tank of water to prevent mold and help with mineral build up. Works for me anyway.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    ......... Remember to fill it every night and its a good idea to add a tablespoon of white vinegar to every tank of water to prevent mold and help with mineral build up. Works for me anyway.
    I collect rainwater, filter it through a coffeefilter and leave the translucent container in the sun for a day, to sterilize the water.
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poul hansen View Post
    I collect rainwater, filter it through a coffeefilter and leave the translucent container in the sun for a day, to sterilize the water.
    But how well does that approach work in the winter with no rain and cold cloudy days? That is the only time of the year I run the room humidifier.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    But how well does that approach work in the winter with no rain and cold cloudy days? That is the only time of the year I run the room humidifier.
    Dear Bernie, my grandmother always told us children that sometimes in life, you have to look forward more than just one day at a time. Even in the stoneages they would collect food and firewood for times to come.
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....

Up in here in Montana it is winter about 18 months of the year. I use in-case humidifiers as I prefer to keep all my instruments in cases for protection from my children. Also I’ve tried using a smaller room humidifier in the past for nasal/dryness issues in a bedroom at night and ended up with problems with a fine white powder that gets left behind on all the surfaces. We have a water softener in our house, so maybe it was some salt deposits or calcium. Perhaps that was just a problem with a cheaper humidifier. I recall it asked for distilled water but there was no way I was going to buy and haul that much water as I was using close to a gallon a night. Anyway the in-case humidifiers work fine for me but can be difficult to stay on top of if you have a lot of string instruments like I do.
    2014 AL Smart F5
    1988 Givens A
    1921 Gibson A
    2009 Peter Zwinakis Selmer Guitar
    2002 Martin D-18V
    1999 Huss and Dalton CM Custom
    Several Old Fiddles

I'm sure someone will pipe in about the accuracy of these but I've been using this same gauge for a few years. You can leave one in a case if you're concerned about the atmosphere inside the case, you can leave one on your desk. There really is no reason to guess. You can spend a whole lot more money if you want to.

https://www.amazon.com/Veanic-Electr...7268637&sr=8-6

I choose to case my instruments because I can better maintain what's happening inside the case than I can my house (unfortunately). YMMV. Obviously NFI.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Just buy a bunch of 2$ hygrometers on aliexpress and mount the display outside your case.

Out of 10, I had one that was inaccurate, all the others shows within +-2 % which is good enough. You don't need accurate(expensive) meters.

Just compare them to each other or calibrate them using a salt bath.

I have one inside a solid wood guitar on my wall, and it shows me that a 1o% change in humidity is fully transferred to the body within 1½ to 2 days. So you have a day or 2 when humidity goes below 40%
    Last edited by poul hansen; Dec-06-2020 at 10:48am. Reason: short url inserted
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....

27. The following members say thank you to poul hansen for this post:

Thanks everyone for the input. I bought a couple hygrometers and will go from there.
    Waterloo WL-M

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Daniel View Post
    I’ve tried using a smaller room humidifier in the past for nasal/dryness issues in a bedroom at night and ended up with problems with a fine white powder that gets left behind on all the surfaces. We have a water softener in our house, so maybe it was some salt deposits or calcium. Perhaps that was just a problem with a cheaper humidifier. I recall it asked for distilled water but there was no way I was going to buy and haul that much water as I was using close to a gallon a night. Anyway the in-case humidifiers work fine for me but can be difficult to stay on top of if you have a lot of string instruments like I do.
    My humidifier's instructions say to boil water for three minutes, then let it cool to room temperature before putting it in the humidifier. That process had reduced but not eliminated the film. However, it's a job keeping enough water boiled and cooled. Still, that process does add to the humidity!
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Daniel View Post
    Up in here in Montana it is winter about 18 months of the year. I use in-case humidifiers as I prefer to keep all my instruments in cases for protection from my children. Also I’ve tried using a smaller room humidifier in the past for nasal/dryness issues in a bedroom at night and ended up with problems with a fine white powder that gets left behind on all the surfaces. We have a water softener in our house, so maybe it was some salt deposits or calcium. Perhaps that was just a problem with a cheaper humidifier. I recall it asked for distilled water but there was no way I was going to buy and haul that much water as I was using close to a gallon a night. Anyway the in-case humidifiers work fine for me but can be difficult to stay on top of if you have a lot of string instruments like I do.
    Victor -- that is due to the minerals in your water supply -- mostly carbonates? Get an evaporative humidifier not one that creates a mist of small liquid water particles -- problem solved. But then you have to deal with mineral clogged evaporators! No free lunch!
    Bernie
    ____

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I'm sure someone will pipe in about the accuracy of these but I've been using this same gauge for a few years. You can leave one in a case if you're concerned about the atmosphere inside the case, you can leave one on your desk. There really is no reason to guess. You can spend a whole lot more money if you want to.

https://www.amazon.com/Veanic-Electr...7268637&sr=8-6

I choose to case my instruments because I can better maintain what's happening inside the case than I can my house (unfortunately). YMMV. Obviously NFI.
    A lot of those inexpensive hygrometers are not too accurate -- but I think they are reasonably precise? Years ago I got crazy about humidity and had about 10 - 12 of them around the house. Temperature on them was pretty consistent +/- 2 degrees F but the relative humidity varied by +/-5% or more on most of them. I put them all in the same room as the unit on our geothermal furnace (I assumed to be the standard) and marked each on for its "error" of a piece of tape. Then re-distributed the throughout the house with their correction factors indicated. Worked for me.
    Bernie
    ____

32. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post: