Thread: Eastman 314

Default Eastman 314

This seems to be pretty rare in the US, but I am really interested in the Eastman 314 F-style oval hole mandolin. Hard to find much on it. This morning I saw that “Chompa” plays one, noticed that on the Tone Guard thread. Hoping he sees this.... (I don’t know how to pm anybody here)

Just want to know peoples thoughts on it. I am a beginner stretching to the intermediate mark. Currently just play a Donner, played a Morgan Monroe in the past. I feel the Eastman will be my first step into a quality mandolin. I really like examples that I have heard of oval hole mandolins. I like the 304 as well.

I love bluegrass, but I don’t play it. I am more of a sit down and strum some hymns, folk song, Christmas songs, and play out a melody every now and then kinda guy. My daughter plays the uke, and I often accompany her much like a guitar typically would.

So I’d love to hear some thoughts. This is one that I won’t be able to “try before you buy”

Default Re: Eastman 314

At one time I owned a Eastman 315 and 314 at the same time. The 314 had a deeper sounding low end that I enjoyed. I would think it would fit your music style very well.

A quick search turned up this...

https://reverb.com/item/5864054-east...-hole-mandolin

Pretty good price, most stores list them for $745.oo

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I have owned a 304, two 305s, and bought a 305 for my granddaughter. I have anticipation of buying another 304 or 305 for my grandson upon him progressing a little more.
    I thought all were of excellent value and played above their paygrade. I would not expect anything less of a 314. Personally I would not buy a 314, not because I would think it not to be up for the job, but I have a personal preference thinking F styles look funny. Besides they cost more than an equal mandolin in the A style. We all have our own quirks.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Thanks Charles, that listing is closed unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Medley12 View Post
    Thanks Charles, that listing is closed unfortunately
    Doh, sorry about. You might want to give Dennis at The Mandolin Store a call to see if he has any coming in soon.
    Charley

Hey Medley12, Chompa here.
    I've been a fan of Eastman for years - particularly satin/matte finish instruments - I have two Eastman guitars and a MD305 A Style mando with plenty of bark for Bluegrass. I played a friend's 314 about a year ago. The 314 has more over-all balance with increased bass and sustain than a 315 I had at one time. The 314 oval hole F had the "voice" I wanted for a more Celtic, Folk, Jazz-Fusion sound. And the neck has a very subtle "V" shape and is also about an inch+ shorter than my 305's neck. It's got a great feel. I had been on the look-out for one (off and on) since. In a response from Dennis of https://themandolinstore.com/, he said that Eastman finds more demand for that model in Europe - so they are seldom sent to USA dealers.
    This past Spring I saw two listed for sale at https://massstreetmusic.com/collecti...tman/mandolins. I called them and ordered one. I paid $745.00 - Free Shipping. No regrets. Glad I found one. I just ordered a Tone-Gard for it from https://www.theacousticshoppe.com/... One thing I did not expect was the difficulty in finding a hard shell case to accommodate the shorter neck. (The gig bag it came with might be all you need). I ended up removing the accessory compartment from a Guardian case and keeping one of the neck supports in place. Fits like a glove now. You might want to communicate with the Eastman dealers I mentioned and tell them you're looking for one. Maybe they can order one for you. Good luck. Keep us posted.

This Eastman just hit the classifieds today...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/165037#165037

NFI
    Charley

Thank you Charles. I have ordered one of these through my local store, and expect delivery shortly in the future. Really excited about it....

9. The following members say thank you to Medley12 for this post: