Thread: Lessons With Andy Statman

Default Lessons With Andy Statman

I had a long talk with Andy Statman a couple of nights ago and it seems he is finally doing lessons online. It's not something he's "rolling out" in a big way or publicizing... but if you want to study with one of the greatest musicians and mandolinists in the world you would give your playing an incredible boost by studying with Andy. Not only is he unsurpassed as a player - his knowledge of ALL music is just staggering. You wanna learn about Bluegrass? Andy. You wanna play blues or jazz? Andy. You wanna learn all the greatest tunes and solos done by the likes of Bill Monroe, Jesse McReynolds, Frank Wakefield, Bobby Osborne, The Dawg etc...? Andy Statman. Music theory, improvisation, reading music... Andy is just an amazing resource and a superb teacher.

It's a shame that neither Andy nor The Dawg never made a video course, (they both have superb audio courses that are still available) but at least now you can study with Andy online.

I believe you can contact him through his website which is andystatman.org

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Lessons With Andy Statman

It's been a few years, but I used to stop by Andy's for a lesson whenever I made my way out to NYC. He is a brilliant musician (obviosuly) and a great teacher. Taught me some things that I still think about today and its been over 5 years since I had those few lessons. Maybe I will reach out to him for a follow up.

I think you forgot that he is also a phenomenal Klezmer player, especially on clarinet.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I think you forgot that he is also a phenomenal Klezmer player, especially on clarinet.
    Believe me... I didn't forget that!

If I had wanted to talk about him giving clarinet lessons I would have posted that on The Clarinet Cafe!

If you decide to take lessons with Andy don't be embarrassed about how bad you play in front of him. He is a very understanding and sympathetic teacher. There may be someone somewhere who plays better than him so don't be intimidated!
    David Herman

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    You wanna learn about Bluegrass? Andy. You wanna play blues or jazz? Andy.
    I think his Klezmer mandolin is the most underappreciated part of his vast musical skills. There are many great Bluegrass and American style mandolin players....but very few Klezmers players have his skills.

Of course he was Dave Tarras's prize clarinet pupil. But his Klezmer mandolin is by far one of the best Jewish styles since Dave Apollon.

9. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

I used to see Andy often when I lived in New York City. I took a couple of lessons with him but I couldn’t figure out what I wanted to learn from him. I still am not sure. He is a real nice guy though.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    I think his Klezmer mandolin is the most underappreciated part of his vast musical skills. There are many great Bluegrass and American style mandolin players....but very few Klezmers players have his skills.

Of course he was Dave Tarras's prize clarinet pupil. But his Klezmer mandolin is by far one of the best Jewish styles since Dave Apollon.
    Nearly 15 years ago, when on the same day, he released two albums --- East Flatbush Blues and Awakening from Above --- with the same bass player and drummer. The first is Statgrass mandolin, and the second is mainly Klezmer clarinet with mandolin on one track. Both are tremendous albums. Who else could have done that?

A few years later, he released his Old Brooklyn album, where he plays clarinet and mandolin on some original tunes and some traditional ones done untraditionally, like this one with Paul Shaffer on keyboards.

I used to see Andy often when I lived in New York City. I took a couple of lessons with him but I couldn’t figure out what I wanted to learn from him. I still am not sure. He is a real nice guy though.
    Andy has a strong belief in the "left hand = brain / right hand = soul" approach to playing music. If you want to work on your left hand, I think that he is the teacher you go to after you have learned the rules and are ready to learn how to sound incredibly musical as you break them. If you want to work on your right hand, fasten your seat belt and enjoy the ride with him.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Andy is teaching, along with Sharon Gilchrist and a bevy of other heavy hitters at Fiddle Hell’s Spring 2021 session in late April.

https://fiddlehell.org/
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

13. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Andy is teaching, along with Sharon Gilchrist and a bevy of other heavy hitters at Fiddle Hell’s Spring 2021 session in late April.

https://fiddlehell.org/
    Go to https://fiddlehell.org/staff and click on Andy's photo to see his workshops and jam.
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

I had a lesson with Andy once. I'm sure if i actually worked on everything he told me in that one lesson, I'd be a much better mandolin player now. But it was a wonderful experience to spend time with him.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls