Thread: Is Nu Finish Scratch Dr. bad to use on a Tru-Oil finish?

Default Is Nu Finish Scratch Dr. bad to use on a Tru-Oil finish?

This product has some silicone in it, but it sure takes out those little fine scratches. What harm would I be causing to just use it for that purpose?

Default Re: Is Nu Finish Scratch Dr. bad to use on a Tru-Oil finish?

It would make it very difficult to do future repairs. Silicone has a way of contaminating everything it touches. A better choice for removing fine scratches is to use Micro Mesh. If you’re really careful applying your final Tru Oil coat you can minimize those scratches. If you don’t like the look just keep re-coating until you like the look. It really doesn’t build up much at all. If you’re really careful you’ll have a smooth coat with only some dust nibs to remove. A light touch with Micro Mesh 5000 or even higher takes care of that. Make sure you’ve let it cure for several days or even longer first.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

You can add coats of Tru Oil any time, so why not simply add some to the surface?
    You might have to clean the surface by buffing, compounding, or perhaps even sanding very lightly, but unless some silicone product has been used the new oil will give you a new surface. If the new oil tries to "bead up", that indicated the presence of silicone and it may not be possible to touch up the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    You can add coats of Tru Oil any time, so why not simply add some to the surface?
    You might have to clean the surface by buffing, compounding, or perhaps even sanding very lightly, but unless some silicone product has been used the new oil will give you a new surface. If the new oil tries to "bead up", that indicated the presence of silicone and it may not be possible to touch up the finish.

Would there be any problem buffing with McGuires #7 or #17 ? I don't believe they have silicon.

I know from experience that you can buff with MaQuires #7, I've done that before. As for #17, I do not have direct experience, but there is a toll free number on the container and you can call and ask a tech if the product contains silicone.
    (For what it's worth, many finish products contain traces of silicone, and that is partly so that they will work better on silicone-contaminated surfaces.)
    I use Novus 2 for rubbing Tru Oil. It will give me a good gloss and I am able to re-coat with Tru Oil after using it with no problem.