Thread: pick-up options for a A style mando

Default pick-up options for a A style mando

I recently picked up a 1995 signed bruce weber flatiron A5. its beautiful and i want to add a pickup so that i can play with my band. Really new to the whole amplified acoustic instrument thing and i want to find a pickup that replicates the acoustic sound best. Looking to have an endpin jack as opposed to that clip on thing? please advise.....i will not being doing the install. thanks in advance

Default Re: pick-up options for a A style mando

Sweet A5 you got there!

I've got a K & K twin, accompanied by the Pure Preamp and think it does just fine through a Fender Acoustisonic 30 amp. (I'm itching to trade the amp for a Fishman Loudbox tho...)

Let's be honest tho, no pickup / preamp / amplifier (or PA) will recreate the pure acoustic sound, but this one does pretty good in an "electric" setting. There are many other options out there. some better some worse. Depends on your budget too...
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

I've used these JJB pickups in dozens of instruments - fiddle, mandolin, banjolin, banjo, resonator, mandola, octave mando, mandocello, many guitars, upright bass....

If you like you can order the 220 with a Switchjack installed, or use the Tapastring Vintage jack (I did this on my Martin HD-28) if you have a tapered end pin and don't want to ream it out for a Switchjack. You will need an adapter though from 3 mm to 1/4".

Lots of preamp options. If you are plugging into an amp or board with a high impedance (HI Z) input, you don't really need a preamp (I don't use one with my Cargvin AG300). I currently use a RedEye, but I used the K&K Pure for years, and the Behringer ADI21 for years prior to that.

K&K Twin or the aforementioned JJB. I've used both and both are as good as you'll get for internal pickups.

Red Eye pre-amp into a Fishman Loudbox (or directly into the board) and you're set.

Just don't use a guitar amp.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Merlo View Post
    Sweet A5 you got there!

I've got a K & K twin, accompanied by the Pure Preamp and think it does just fine through a Fender Acoustisonic 30 amp. (I'm itching to trade the amp for a Fishman Loudbox tho...)

Let's be honest tho, no pickup / preamp / amplifier (or PA) will recreate the pure acoustic sound, but this one does pretty good in an "electric" setting. There are many other options out there. some better some worse. Depends on your budget too...
    Not to hijack the thread but you'll love your mando through a Loudbox!

6. The following members say thank you to Leester for this post:

Red Eye into the board with my K&K twin pickup. It really sounds great and I get compliments on the sound of my mandolin. My installation is a little unique tho.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Question Re: pick-up options for a A style mando

Piezo pickups + their needed preamps are popular.

I like my Schertler.. Dyn M. Installed version is in my Mix A5
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

https://www.lrbaggs.com/pickups/radius-mandolin-pickup

I've used this for a few years and love it . simple to use , natural sounding ( its a microphone ) ....external mount so you can quickly mount it to another mando or fiddle .sierra hull uses this ...good enough for her ..good enough for me . lol

I have 2 Webers that came with a McIntyre Feather installed. I use either a Fishman or RedEye preamp into the clean channel of a a Quilter combo amp

Congratulations on your new mandolin! I agree with the other reply's regarding the K & K twin spot or Macintyre Acoustic feather. To me the feather seems to have a softer more natural sound. The K & K seem a bit "hotter". A good pre-amp helps these a lot. Having a sweet amp or good interface and kind sound guy is also helpful.
    Another big factor with these transducers is how they are installed, with what kind of glue and how thick the glue, putty, or adhesive is. Lots of help here on the forum regarding the install. Best regards, Maurice