Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Types of Mandolin Collections

Default Re: Types of Mandolin Collections

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I have a bunch of mandolins; Heiden, Collings, Girouard, Ellis, Campanella, Kimble, Smart, Brock, Northfield..... So, that's not a legitimate collection?
    Mary: your bunch will become a collection if only you add a 1950's A-50.

Mine is forever a pile of tinder. It will be a cold winter...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

2. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

I have always been a one-instrument player, only one guitar in my rock days, only one viola in orchestra days. I own two acoustic 10-strings from the same maker and two electric 10-strings. This only because I can't borrow another if my main axe is damaged or lost.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Wright For This Useful Post:

I have a bunch of mandolins; Heiden, Collings, Girouard, Ellis, Campanella, Kimble, Smart, Brock, Northfield..... So, that's not a legitimate collection?
    How would I know ,you tell me,,I actually own only 2 mandolins and used the A 50 as only an example...

I’m definitely more of the monkey mind/serendipitous type of collector/accumulator. I’ve had GAS for years, which seems to have morphed into a pretty serious case of MAS. It’s amazing was pops up at a garage sale that you just happen across when running an errand (e.g, a 1970s S.L. Mossman guitar for $15). I tend to be drawn to the older and more interesting instruments. There’s something magic about a guitar or mandolin that has survived the passage of time and had a flow of music through it. I once got a guitar that looked like it had been in a bar fight - I fixed it up and gave it to a friend - it had great sound and was easy to play. My first mandolin came when I was selling a banjo and a guy asked me if I would trade it for a mandolin (I said yes, of course). Later, I found out that it was actually a mandola, a teens Regal which I still have. A few years ago, I finally got more serious about playing mandolin and really developed full-blown MAS. With each instrument, I learn more about the history of instrument makers in the US, which has been a lot of fun. Recent mandolin acquisitions include a late 40s/early 50s 2-point Stradolin, a Weber Sweet Pea in mint condition, and my custom-ordered 2-point octave mandolin from Phil Crump (more about this on a later post). My “couch mandolin” is a 1950 A-50 which I rescued a few years ago from a pawn shop for $150; following protocols establish above, I guess that would be considered a collector. I do need to thin the herd and have been thinking about listing a few guitars and a mandolin or two.

A big thanks to everyone on this site for all the wonderful information posted, the tips, the music, and the occasional social commentary that slips past the moderator...

- Denis
    white-face Gibson A3, black-face Gibson A4, matching black-face Gibson K2, various Webers, a few Harmony H410s, a 1930s National resophonic, and a few other interesting items....

7. The following members say thank you to Denis Kearns for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    How would I know ,you tell me,,I actually own only 2 mandolins and used the A 50 as only an example...
    Some people collect stamps, others baseball cards, my husband is an antique radio collector (he also repairs them). Each of these genres contain sub genres...some people collect foreign stamps, transistor radios .....my point being, there are no rules.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Mary: your bunch will become a collection if only you add a 1950's A-50.

Mine is forever a pile of tinder. It will be a cold winter...
    The only 1950's Gibson I have is a nice AJ.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

The only 1950's Gibson I have is a nice AJ.
    Do you mean SJ (guitar)? I don't think Gibson made Advanced Jumbos in the '50s.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Do you mean SJ (guitar)? I don't think Gibson made Advanced Jumbos in the '50s.
    oops! yes, SJ.

I have a vast instrument collection with no two of anything. The closest to two of something is a 1906 F2 and a bowlback (both are mandolins). Every thing else is really a different instrument:

Mandolin, bowl back mandolin, mandola, mandocello, bouzouki, octophone, banjo-mandolin, banjo-uke, ukulele, dulcimer, berimbau, tenor banjo, tenor guitar, guitar, nylon string guitar, electric guitar, dobro, lap steel, grand piano, harpsichord, pump organ, synthesizer, melodica, electric piano, vibraphone, xylophone, orchestra bells, chimes, tympani, concert snare, tenor drum, concert bass drum, flat-jack marching bass drum, tabla, bongoes, conga drum, udu drum, cocktail drum, drum set (oops, three of them), too much hand percussion to mention, trumpet, herald trumpet, clarinet, ocarina, recorder, alto recorder, tenor recorder, various whistles and bird whistles.

Everything works and has been used in concert or recording except the herald trumpet and the clarinet.
    Last edited by David L; Dec-14-2020 at 1:50pm.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David L For This Useful Post:

Impressive list, David L. You may be as insane as I am and certainly in the same collection realm. You certainly beat me on the percussion and the brass sections. I have de-accessed a few of the types on your list but recently became "enamored" of Chinese plucked instruments so I need to add my xiao ruan to my list. And I have way too many bowlback mandolins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

You certainly beat me on the percussion and the brass sections.
    Well, I played euphonium in high school and college and majored in percussion performance. After decades of orchestra and city bands, all of the percussion has been used in many concerts. In orchestra, I have also played (but don't own) wine glasses ("The Swan"), typewriter (Leroy Anderson's "Typewriter") and a large pistol ("Spike Jones Tribute").

16. The following members say thank you to David L for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    There have been times when I've had a large number of instruments. But I find that I'm not a good collector. If I'm not playing them regularly, why have them? So I've had the same two for quite awhile now. I bought my first mandolin in 5 years this summer, a Waterloo flattop. Also have another flattop being built. I think there's a lot of tone available in flattops that I certainly haven't fully explored.

So I guess I'm the one of each kind of accumulator. One F5, one A5, soon to have two flattops, one electric, one tenor banjo, one 5 string open back banjo, one guitar, two electric guitars but one was a gift so.....
    I am interested in your sudden interest in flat top mandolins as part of your collection. What have found in them that is missing perhaps in the other part of your mandolin collection.
    Nic Gellie

Ive had tons of instruments, but never considered it collecting - in whatever formal sense. I've only ever acquired something with the intent of using it as a vehicle for study and expression.

I started at age 9 so I've had (studied, played, performed with) all the more common instruments. My current interests aren't in the more common musical forms/genres, so I've gotten rid of tons of more common instruments I don't currently play - including pedal steels, drums & percussion, synths, electric gear (no more room) and a hurdy gurdy (accordion won ).

Aside from a few extra (lever) harps and zithers and a bunch of accordions of many types, I basically have but one each of my current study: hardanger fiddle, bass clarinet, flamenco guitar, and oud.

I still have some of my old saxes, as my daughter now plays (but the bass cl is my favorite so that's what I play).

My accordions may be considered a "collection" by some, given that I have about 8 or 10 - and that's just the RED ones

I would like to collect, but my energy goes to studying and playing the music, for which I need only one (per genre).

19. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Ive had tons of instruments, but never considered it collecting - in whatever formal sense. I've only ever acquired something with the intent of using it as a vehicle for study and expression.

I started at age 9 so I've had (studied, played, performed with) all the more common instruments. My current interests aren't in the more common musical forms/genres, so I've gotten rid of tons of more common instruments I don't currently play - including pedal steels, drums & percussion, synths, electric gear (no more room) and a hurdy gurdy (accordion won ).

Aside from a few extra (lever) harps and zithers and a bunch of accordions of many types, I basically have but one each of my current study: hardanger fiddle, bass clarinet, flamenco guitar, and oud.

I still have some of my old saxes, as my daughter now plays (but the bass cl is my favorite so that's what I play).

My accordions may be considered a "collection" by some, given that I have about 8 or 10 - and that's just the RED ones

I would like to collect, but my energy goes to studying and playing the music, for which I need only one (per genre).
    I'm jealous, only have 2 accordions. And I would like a couple more, but don't have the room. Are yours all diatonic, different flavors of keyboard, or both? I can easily see all the different diatonic as well as the different bass configurations making up a decent sized collection.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Reviewing this discussion after my earlier post, I reached the hypothesis that a "collection" is when you have an organizing principle that you apply before purchasing something, while an "accumulation" is when you go back afterwards and try to determine why you purchased something.

In my case, I often just decided I liked a mandolin -- or other instrument -- or thought, "I could use that when (or if) I play this or that type of music." Sometimes, it was just "Gee, I don't have one of those." I mean, how else did I end up with three mandocelli?

So I wonder if I had approached buying instruments as a collector, rather than an accumulator, what the difference would have been in what I bought and what I kept. Not that I regret buying anything -- well, maybe the Univox electric 12-string, or the Johnson tricone resonator guitar -- but I still search in vain for that "organizing principle."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    ...still search in vain for that "organizing principle."
    Ha, that's one problem with collecting!

23. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Eric, I started with concertinas, then went to diatonics (DBA)..then I started PA because beautiful vintage Italian reeds are out of fashion and thus cheap and easily obtainable.

I was many times tempted to go for CBA, but the combo of PA and DBA is sufficient for everything. Largely, the reason I got into accordions is because of their efficacy for entertaining. But now I find PA is about the most versatile, capable machine to make music with.

What kind of accordion do you play?

25. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Eric, I started with concertinas, then went to diatonics (DBA)..then I started PA because beautiful vintage Italian reeds are out of fashion and thus cheap and easily obtainable.

I was many times tempted to go for CBA, but the combo of PA and DBA is sufficient for everything. Largely, the reason I got into accordions is because of their efficacy for entertaining.

What kind of accordion do you play?
    Just a basic 12 bass PA (that's shockingly in tune) purchased on a lark and a 2 row Hohner G/D button. Would like to get a D/A and/or C/F. But want it modified to "Finnish bass". And on both, it's more own than play at present. Still practicing mandolin too much these day to concentrate on accordion.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Platt For This Useful Post:

I have a small collection of instruments
    (Unfortunately not all in playable condition)

Those from the mandolin family or similar (tuned in fifths):

-A-Style mandolin (Kentucky KM-150)
    -F-Style mandolin (Eastman MD-315)
    -Bowlback mandolins (Calace, German concert BB, fluted German BB, Suzuki et al.)
    -Various flatback and domeback mandos (German fluted-back domeback et al.)
    -Bowlback mandriola (12 = 4x3 Strings)
    -Flatback quadriola (16 = 4x4 Strings, bend top, possibly "beyond repair" but nice decoration)
    -A-Style octave mandolin (Eastman MDO 305)
    -Bowlback mandola (German)
    -Banjo mandolin (no name German)
    -Resonator mando (Johnson brand)
    -Gypsy tenor guitar
    -Domra
    -Bisernica

Possible future additions:
    As for mandos: Two-point mando, Army/Navy style, pocket mandolin, Seiffert-style bowlback, mandolinetto.
    Other instruments: tenor banjo, maybe m'cello at some point or a piccolo.

Or by country of manufacture (only "normal" mandolins):

-Germany (GDR)
    -Austria
    -Romania
    -Italy
    -Spain
    - Russia (USSR)
    -Turkey
    -China
    -Japan

-Murica (too many to choose from, not too easy and cheap to come by on this side of the Big Pond)
    -France (Maybe a Gelas-style split-top)
    -CSSR (well I'm saturated with cheap Eastern Europe mandos atm, but maybe at some point)
    -Vietnam (missed a basic Vietnamese style one a couple of months ago)
    -Portuguese (a true Portuguese mandolin)
    -Of course there are other countries: Sweden (Levin), India (Givson), Korea (yuck?), Brazil, UK, ...

At the moment I look into getting most of 'em set-up and playable, but you never know if something interesting emerges at an auction / classified...
    Eastman MD-315, Eastman MDO-305, Kentucky KM-150, Calace 1917, Gibson A ~ 1920, Johnson resonator mando

Quote Originally Posted by Cando View Post
    -Murica (too many to choose from, not too easy and cheap to come by on this side of the Big Pond)
    Hah! I thought that was a variant of tamburica instruments... now I realize you are using slang for America, right?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Yeah, isn't that what you yankees say over there?
    Eastman MD-315, Eastman MDO-305, Kentucky KM-150, Calace 1917, Gibson A ~ 1920, Johnson resonator mando

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    ..... I can easily see all the different diatonic as well as the different bass configurations making up a decent sized collection.
    Sounds like you've peeked into our living room.... The boxes do stack up.

I know our friend Sheri doesn't think much of them, but I do tend to like Hohner boxes. The $$/sound value ratio is pretty high for me.

Are they Castagnaris? No, put they put out a lot of sound.
    I particularly like the weird musette in the Corso models.
    A Corso CF likely on my BAS list.

I have a pre-war de-Clubbed CF Hohner with that 3rd row of accidentals that I really enjoy the sound of. Those old reeds are nice.

Sorry to wonk out on fisarmonicas....didn't realize there were more of us squeezers
    here!

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

32. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    I have a pre-war de-Clubbed CF Hohner with that 3rd row of accidentals that I really enjoy the sound of. Those old reeds are nice.
    Vintage Hohner clubs (III & Norma) are my main button squeeze. I have a closet full of 2-rows being unplayed - I guess i keep em in case I ever get back to playing for dances.

My usual melodeon.net rant: Don't de-club your clubs!

34. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

My usual melodeon.net rant: Don't de-club your clubs!
    Well....I played and played with it as a "Club" and got to the point where I thought: "What's the point?" and de clubbed and flipped a reed to get myself a G# where I wanted it. Along with the accidentals it's a totally useful, non-polemical box.

No reason to rant. The next owner can re-Club if they like.

Mick

Typed on a QWERTY keyboard.
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Well....I played and played with it as a "Club" and got to the point where I thought: "What's the point?" and de clubbed and flipped a reed to get myself a G# where I wanted it. Along with the accidentals it's a totally useful, non-polemical box.

No reason to rant. The next owner can re-Club if they like.

Mick

Typed on a QWERTY keyboard.
    Ya i know. But the gleichton/club/draw style is great for certain styles/genres (and I hate futzing with tuning reeds).

37. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post: