Thread: Great quote about instruments from Gordon Lightfoot

Default Great quote about instruments from Gordon Lightfoot

I just watched the new documentary "Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind," which I highly recommend. It is excellent.

He says something that really grabbed me about the guitar sound he goes for that I think could apply to mandolins also. I just thought I'd share it.

"I want to hear the wood, not the wires."

Not something to be taken technically, literally, of course, but a great sentiment.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to John Flynn For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Great quote about instruments from Gordon Lightfoot

Much easier to change "the wires" than the wood! MAS rages on...

4. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

Great quote! I have often thought that guitars have three components to their sound: string, wood, and air. A trinity of sorts. Which makes a kind of sense, in that it is a string that vibrates when struck, moving the wood of the box, which in turn vibrates the chamber of air in the body. On some instruments the metal ring of the string is very prominent, some you really hear the woodiness, and some are breathier with a more feathered sound. But those seem like the main ingredients.

6. The following members say thank you to Richard Mott for this post:

My friend lent Gordon his guitar when he debuted the "Edmund Fitzgerald" at Amazing Grace in Evanston, IL.
    Gordon broke a string and needed a guitar right before he went on stage.

You can read 'wires' two ways. Strings, certainly, but also electronics.
    David A. Gordon

9. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
    Great quote! I have often thought that guitars have three components to their sound: string, wood, and air. A trinity of sorts. Which makes a kind of sense, in that it is a string that vibrates when struck, moving the wood of the box, which in turn vibrates the chamber of air in the body. On some instruments the metal ring of the string is very prominent, some you really hear the woodiness, and some are breathier with a more feathered sound. But those seem like the main ingredients.
    I like that, Richard. Thanks.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

At a festival in Colorado several years ago Peter Rowan was playing a guitar that looked brand new. He was tuning more often than usual, and after awhile he said "This guitar thinks it's still a tree..."
    Riley

Kentucky KM-250

Guitars:
    RainSong SMH
    Blueridge BR-142
    The Loar LH-250
    Recording King RPS-9
    A Strat and a Tele

12. The following members say thank you to rfloyd for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    You can read 'wires' two ways. Strings, certainly, but also electronics.
    Good observation, but in the documentary, he was clearly talking about acoustic guitars.

Not only can you hear the wood, you also feel the vibrations the instruments make as they move the air to make the sound.

For a number of years, I played acoustically (no PA) in a trio in a very small bar in a unique building hotel, about as far away from a chain hotel as you could get. The building is in the National Historic Register, so it was not the usual tourist/business hotel crowd. People from all walks of life. It was always cool to see the reactions of the first time they heard acoustic music in person, not recorded or through a PA. They were often mesmerized by the experience and quite often converted to being acoustic music fans.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

15. The following members say thank you to Pete Martin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    Not only can you hear the wood, you also feel the vibrations the instruments make as they move the air to make the sound.

For a number of years, I played acoustically (no PA) in a trio in a very small bar in a unique building hotel, about as far away from a chain hotel as you could get. The building is in the National Historic Register, so it was not the usual tourist/business hotel crowd. People from all walks of life. It was always cool to see the reactions of the first time they heard acoustic music in person, not recorded or through a PA. They were often mesmerized by the experience and quite often converted to being acoustic music fans.
    That is a great story, thanks for posting it. I, too, have seen the impact of in-person acoustic music on people and it has brought to my mind just how unusual it is for a large segment of our population to experience what I think of as 'unprocessed' music, or music in its natural state. I love how stringed instruments excite not just the ears, but each of our senses. I love how we can feel the music via sensors elsewhere on the surface of our bodies, not just through our ears.

Now if only we can take folks from being acoustic music fans, to beginning players. I believe experiencing this real, natural music can be the first step in that process.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

For just close to the last 20 years we have had an old time jam in a bar, the bar of a restaurant, or some public place. We sit in a circle, not trying to perform, and no PA. People have loved it.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    ..... I love how stringed instruments excite not just the ears, but each of our senses. I love how we can feel the music via sensors elsewhere on the surface of our bodies, not just through our ears.
    Well put, Bob. I feel that way about horns, too. I enjoy sitting close in a small jazz bar and hearing and feeling the honk.

I recall being in tiny bars in NO and the air pressure from the second line bands would push you around in the room. Honest.

Kind of felt that way trying to get into the vestibule to see Michelangelo's stairs at San Lorenzo in Firenze. But it was the marble blowing me away.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig