Thread: Thile and Strings 2/1

Default Thile and Strings 2/1

I just found this site. Don’t know why it took so long. Have been binging that concert for a while. Was anyone actually there. From the YouTube phone videos I have seen it’s what you would expect from Chris. What struck me was by the look on Billy’s face there was no way he was phoning this in. In fact from the angles I was able to see the look on Billy’s face was not like a regular show he might play with others. It looked like he spent a lot of time looking at the mando fretboard trying to either keep up or figure out where he’s going during a break.

Wish this was recorded with better quality as a lot of us were looking forward to this. Again sorry to bring this up late but would like to hear others thoughts.

Default Re: Thile and Strings 2/1

in case you haven’t seen it, the Billy strings Chris Thilly performance from CBS Sunday morning or was it Saturday? are of high quality

I don't think any of these outstanding musicians phone it in.
    The passion and engagement they bring to their performances are what keep people coming to see them. Maybe it takes a toll on them, though.

I did think from the OP title that the thread would be about mandolin strings, so let me leave you with a CT quote I heard him say in Glasgow: "Bill Monroe said 'Ain't no A-string ever went to heaven!' "
    Bren

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    in case you haven’t seen it, the Billy strings Chris Thilly performance from CBS Sunday morning or was it Saturday? are of high quality
    Thile. Silly!

I suppose I was trying to ask by looking at Billy’s face a lot of the time during the performance, looked like he was really trying to keep up with Thile. The pushing (mostly by Thile) was fun to watch. It was almost like “I know your good, let’s see how good you are” in a non disrespectful way.

Oh ya for sure, Chris was definitely having fun. So was Billy it seemed. I think you nailed it with Chris pushing Billy, they are both amazing musicians and there were a couple moments I remember where Billy was a bit blown away by a break Chris played (I know I am feeling that way pretty much anytime I see him play)

Dug the music, and thankful for LaryRulz Youtube account for uploading so many great concerts.

Billy was on a Theo Vons Podcast recently, and he talks a bit about playing the show/CBS with Chris and how he feels about it. Worth a watch if you are a Billy Strings fan. I learned a lot about him-that was pretty interesting stuff.

Deleted
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

@rodeoryan. Yea watching the clips on YouTube which they are what they are you can see Billy’s face a few times he gets that look of surprise like “holy sh@t I wasn’t expecting that” on a Chris break. The pushing is obvious and fun to watch Billy respond to it. But it probably wasn’t even Chris’s intent he’s just so far above everyone in talent and ability he doesn’t realize. Without a doubt at least to me he’s probably the best all around musician living today and most likely the best mando player to ever live.

Quote Originally Posted by doc holiday View Post
    Thile. Silly!
    Billy and Thilly

Quote Originally Posted by Robandmar View Post
    @rodeoryan. Yea watching the clips on YouTube which they are what they are you can see Billy’s face a few times he gets that look of surprise like “holy sh@t I wasn’t expecting that” on a Chris break. The pushing is obvious and fun to watch Billy respond to it. But it probably wasn’t even Chris’s intent he’s just so far above everyone in talent and ability he doesn’t realize. Without a doubt at least to me he’s probably the best all around musician living today and most likely the best mando player to ever live.
    Lofty praise indeed. Of course there is no “best”.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Of course there is no “best”.
    There most certainly is, for me anyway...it just changes day to day...
    too many strings