Thread: Finding local buyers in Cafe classifieds

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Finding local buyers in Cafe classifieds

Interested in hearing of success in finding local buyers when selling through the Cafe Classifieds.
    I have bought (emphasis more on bought) and sold mandolins via the classifieds. With arthritic pain escalating my mandolin playing is more infrequent. It is perhaps time I sell one or two instruments.
    In previous sales I have shipped with exception to one in DC, of which I was traveling there anyways. This time I would like to encourage a local sale so the buyer can take a test drive and for me to eliminate the cost and risks of shipping.
    So are there success stories of finding local buyers through the Cafe classifieds?
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Default Re: Finding local buyers in Cafe classifieds

I would assume it’s about where you are located.

After years of hunting for a good mandolin in the Los Angeles area I gave up and bought from someone on the other side of the country. Worked out great. Seems mandolin is really a regional thing and even in my city of 14million people no one ever has a decent instrument for sale, haha.

I've noticed that the selections are different from one coast to the other. I have sold instruments all over the country, but now that I think of it, a lot of them were shipped to the East coast. It's funny, because a lot of builders live west of the Mississippi.

That said I have done about a dozen deals in person or arranged to meet someone to sell a mandolin (and on occasion a guitar). I guess that I'd liked to do more of that, because I find shipping a little nerve wracking. Perhaps its because in more than 20 years of buying and selling, I had my first UPS issue (the item was a very rare and irreplaceable antique radio with mirrored glass). It took months for UPS to pay the insurance claim (and pay they did). Not sure that I would ship more than a case these days. But never say never.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I’m in Concord, NC, near Charlotte. I bought my Flatiron 1N from Concord, CA, and my Martin cant top from Concord, MA. Totally randomly. I was stalking the Classifieds for the 1N, and the Martin was an impulsive inexpensive “birthday year” purchase. Didn’t realize the cities they were coming from until emails with the sellers commenced. Totally irrelevant to your question, but cool to me.

When I bought my Kelley A-5 I tried to work out a tryout/pickup with Mandomutt, but our work schedules were pretty much opposites (I had weekend time, but he was working his day job and weekends were his busiest times back in 2018). Bill, I’d think there’s a reasonable chance of being able to sell locally-ish, especially if you’re willing to drive 2-3 hours to meet up. I’ve been tempted by several instruments close enough to me, particularly a Randy Wood near Columbia, SC, which I never actually played, but I’ve bought all my mandolins online. I did buy a Taylor 714 from Harry West back in ‘08 and a Martin Authentic 00-17 from Lowe Vintage a couple of years ago, and definitely prefer to play before I buy, but my RM-1 is the only mando I got to demo before buying (in Nashville). Even here in the shadow of the heart of BG country it’s a bit of a drive to find mandolins to try out.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Well selling person to person works just to demonstrate what a valuable asset the Cafe provides with it's classifieds. Pittsburgh is not exactly mandolin metropolis. A nice fellow drove in from Ohio and purchased my beloved Stiver that I was reluctant to sell and ship.
    Now I need to make my Cafe donation which I will gladly do.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

7. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Congratulations Bill, my friend from Ohio showed me pictures of the Stiver and promised to bring it to the next jam. He's a monster on the banjo!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

9. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post: