Thread: Beginner Instrument Question

Default Beginner Instrument Question

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and to the mandolin. I play guitar and a bit of fiddle, but have recently taken a fancy to the mandolin. I did some research on this site, and it looks like for a beginner, the best options are the Kentucky KM 150 or 250 or Eastman MD 304 or 305. I've seen them for 450-500ish at the Mandolin Store and Elderly with a set up.

I'm not in a hurry to get an instrument, and I've been browsing Craiglist and the classifieds here, but haven't seen any beginner instruments come through. Right now with the sale and coupon at Guitar Center, the KM 250 comes out to $365 without a set up or bag. I was wondering whether you guys thought this was a good deal or if would be better to wait and see what comes along.

Thank you very much!

Default Re: Beginner Instrument Question

On the Cafe, I've read comments about instruments bought from GC needing a set-up --- which would have already been done on instruments bought from the Mandolin Store or Elderly. So, I'd suggest buying from either of those stores in order to avoid the set-up worry, and possibly the need. The other advantage of dealing with either of those stores is that they will be happy (and able) to answer any questions that you have before and after you make the purchase.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Doubtful that anyone on here would recommend not getting your instrument from Elderly or TMS. Both have a long history of great service to the Cafe community. I bought an instrument from Elderly and it was set up very nicely and the staff was very friendly and knowledgeable about mandolins. You will not get that from GC. Also, anything you get from GC would certainly need a setup and at least a gig bag, which will burn up any savings you get from the GC purchase. The mandolin from Elderly or TMS will come set up properly and probably include a gig bag.

No brainer.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

As others have posted, either Elderly or TMS would be a great recommendation as a good setup is very important !

My experience is that the GC techs can vary widely in skill level. I've met some who were very knowledgeable on acoustic guitars, and could probably do an average setup on a mandolin. I've also met one tech who didn't seem to know how to adjust a Les Paul bridge, and told me the guitar was defective because he could not figure out how to intonate the B string. I took it home and did it myself after watching a video.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Welcome to the Cafe, Gardenmaid!

I bought an Eastman mandolin from TMS a few years ago. As others have said, it came with a great setup and was playable right out of the box. When I bought mine, TMS had a few "blem" mandolins for a good price. I bought one of them. The blem is almost impossible to see. No effect on the sound or playability. When I had a question about strings, I called TMS and talked to Dennis. He was very helpful. Not sure where you live, but TMS recently moved to the Nashville area. If not too far, you may be able to do an in-person visit.