Thread: A Fig for a Kiss

Default A Fig for a Kiss

Hi all,

I've posted a series of tutorials for this tune. You can just learn the basics of the plectrum style or try to play triplets and Irish style ornamentation.

If you have a go I'd love to hear how you get on.

See the 'advanced' page at www.thecelticmandolin.co.uk

John
    Edinburgh

Note, nothing is for sale there. It's all free.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clachanmusic For This Useful Post:

Default Re: A Fig for a Kiss

Hey John: I love your site and have a fondness for slip jigs as well as figs so thanks so much. I just started working on one of Martin Hayes' video tutorials but will get to the fig jig soon, I hope. BTW I would love to know the story behind the enticing title. Did he offer her a fig for a kiss and then another fig, etc. Or does it have some sort of mythological symbolism. Hmmmm...

I love your playing on that page as well. Great work! I didn't think there was too much ornamentation.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

We know the tune as "Gurgling the Churn". I like kissing more than gurgling.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

5. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Gurgling the Churn is a great name. I notice that there are loads of names for it on thesession.org, and a few 'churn'.

Fig For A Kiss, Figs For A Kiss, Gáire Na MBán, Glugar An Mheadair, Milk The Churn, Ní Maith Liom Pog, The Old Dutch Churn, Rinnce Is Ceól, The Splashing Of The Churn, Two In A Gig.

Perhaps 'a fig for a kiss' is some kind of chat-up line.

Blog Entries

My favorite version of this tune is from a 1991 recording called Dance Across the Sea by Mark Roberts (flute) and Sandol Astrausky (fiddle). Mark and some others on the recording were in a band called Touchstone. Claudine Langille, plays mandolin on the recording.

Fig for a Kiss can be played as a round. It is a lot of fun this way because it works well and it ends on the same note. My wife and I play it this way and maybe we got the idea from the recording. I'll have to give that old CD a spin soon. It was, and is... one of my very favorite recordings.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile