Thread: Thomastik's for MDO-305 Eastman Octave

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Default Thomastik's for MDO-305 Eastman Octave

Hi All,

I went to the EJ-72 D'Adderio Mandola string set. No problems - like them just fine! Now, I'm wondering about the Thomastik's. Anybody have a recommendation on Thomastik's that are both long enough and favorable gauges? I see some that could work, but can't confirm the lengths. They are called European mandola, or something like that?

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Default Re: Thomastik's for MDO-305 Eastman Octave

T-I web page says scale length is 17-3/4". That would be too short for your Eastman with 21" scale, I would think. You might write to them to find actual string length.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi Fatt-dad - I'm afraid I can't help you with the Thomastik question, but I have a question for you!

Just wondering what difference using D'addario 72 Mandola strings made to your OM, rather than using EJ80 Octave strings? Beefier sound? I'm assuming it adds more tension - is it a lot harder to play?

thanks

John

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

they are a bit heavier gauge and sound good. I'm too new to the OM to know anything refined; however. I just read somebody else tried them and gave it a go.

During COVID, I'm taken to playing my OM and enjoying it a lot! Retooling grips from mandolin to the longer scale. Slowing down a fair bit to keep some groove. Stuff like that! Just entertainment!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Thanks F-D!

Yeah, I bought a cheaper flat-topped OM last year, used. Been playing it a lot more this year, but it needs new strings, hence the question. Will give the Mandola strings a shot.

And, yes, I play my OM much differently to my normal mandolin. A lot more open and drone strings, half chords, double stops, etc.

6. The following members say thank you to Johnny60 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post
    Hi Fatt-dad - I'm afraid I can't help you with the Thomastik question, but I have a question for you!

Just wondering what difference using D'addario 72 Mandola strings made to your OM, rather than using EJ80 Octave strings? Beefier sound? I'm assuming it adds more tension - is it a lot harder to play?

thanks

John
    I have used both on my Eastman OM -- both work well. The heavier strings sound a little "fuller." I am still deciding which set I like better.