Thread: Bill Monroe Solo Transcriptions 1936-1996

Default Bill Monroe Solo Transcriptions 1936-1996

This transcription book has been out for a couple of years but I have yet to come across a copy, nor have I been able to see any detail of the content anywhere, online.

It lists 100 transcription... but what are they, and how well have they been done ?
    Anyone have any review of this material, or detail on what it actually entails ?

John D
    John D

Default Re: Bill Monroe Solo Transcriptions 1936-1996

I think you are referring to this book. http://www.andynovaramusic.com/books

I don't have the book but based on the player and the transcriptions they have on their site I would hazard a guess that they are done well.

Aaron

Why not just ask this guy? He ought to know.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/164092#164092
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

I sent off an enquiry, but I’d love to find some independent input regarding contents
    John D

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

I had a similar question, and Andy sent me a sample transcription of Wheel Hoss, in music and tab.

It was quite well done, from a live recording, and captured several Monroe nuances such as double stops, accidentals and slides.

My two cents...

Dave
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

he quickly sent me a pic of the table of contents wuth all tunes.... bought the book.
    John D

Quote Originally Posted by JFDilmando View Post
    he quickly sent me a pic of the table of contents wuth all tunes.... bought the book.
    Can you post it? I’ve been wondering about the book myself and watched a few of his YT videos. Looks like a nice resource for Monroe tunes.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	631.6 KB 
ID:	190482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	592.8 KB 
ID:	190483
    John D

9. The following members say thank you to JFDilmando for this post:

I received this book yesterday. It is very neatly done and has a great variety of tunes to study Monroe’s playing. I’m looking forward to working through the songs.