Thread: Eastman v Kentucky et al nut width

Default Eastman v Kentucky et al nut width

Hello, thanks for having me, this is the first of what may end up being many ignorant questions... We have no music store in the corner of my state where I can see mandolins.

I read that Kentucky and many mandos have a 1 1/8 nut width, but also that Eastman plays wider, but they report a 1 3/32 width. 1 3/32 is narrower than 1 1/8. What is up with that?

Thanks for any help. I am looking to buy something and am kind of a big ol lurchy dude.

Default Re: Eastman v Kentucky et al nut width

My Eastman was 1 5/32" nut width, as advertised, but found I got along better with 1 3/16". Understand it is not nut width alone that makes the difference. I found that the 1 3/16" + flat fretboard + "c" shaped neck profile was the correct combination for me.
    You need to play a bunch of them to figure it out.
    The mandolin store carries wide nut models for sure.

The difference is definitely noticeable. I previously owned an Eastman 315 that was 1 3/32. It sounded great and was well set up, and I adapted to it when I pulled it out, but I did occasionally mute a string. I thought 1 and 1/8 was my sweet spot until I got my Rigel CT 110, which is 1 and 3/16. My favorite mando currently from a tone perspective is my Kelley A5, which is 1 and 1/8, and I have no issues playing that width, but the 1 3/16 just feels better, like changing from shoes that are just a hair too narrow to ones that fit perfectly. My RM-1 is 1 and 1/4, which feels just a bit too wide when I initially pull it out, but I adapt more quickly to it than the narrow width.

That said, for decades Gibsons were made with only 1 and 3/32, I believe (or maybe 1/16? Sorry, never owned one), and plenty of big lol’ lurchy dudes have made them work just fine. I wear large size gloves, but don’t have terribly beefy fingers, just for reference.

Knowing what I know now, I’ll probably never go narrower than 1 and 1/8 on any future purchases, but when I was beginning I had no idea either way. Having the mandolin you buy well set up is far more important than the nut width, at least until you get some experience. Fortunately, both Kentucky and Eastman are making some really nice mandolins right now!
    Chuck

It may play wider due to string spacing. Not everyone spaces the strings the same. Some go further towards the edge of the fingerboard and some will put the string pairs just slightly closer together.

Most folks have preferences. Others can get by on just about anything.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gs3 View Post
    I read that Kentucky and many mandos have a 1 1/8 nut width, but also that Eastman plays wider, but they report a 1 3/32 width. 1 3/32 is narrower than 1 1/8. What is up with that?
    A radiused board can have a wider feel than a flat one.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Thanks all! Appreciate the knowledge.