Thread: Gibson H-2 Mandola at Carter's

Default Gibson H-2 Mandola at Carter's

That photo is breath-taking. There is something about that Cremona brown finish that gets to me. I have seen some other Gibsons—a friend has an F-4—with that finish usually only used on an F-5. Beautiful. 1922 with truss rod and adjustable bridge. I bet it sounds pretty good too. NFI, of course, and I certainly don't need it. I hope someone here buys it or at least reports back on playing it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	164162.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	190449
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Gibson H-2 Mandola at Carter's

Jim, I agree. I was just looking at the photo when your post came thru. Love the look. I, too, would like to know if it’s play & tone match up. Just looking thou.
    A brown F4? Would love it see it.
    Joe B
    A Splendid Time is Guaranteed for All

Quote Originally Posted by mandopops View Post
    Jim, I agree. I was just looking at the photo when your post came thru. Love the look. I, too, would like to know if it’s play & tone match up. Just looking thou.
    A brown F4? Would love it see it.
    Joe B
    Yeah, I think they are pretty rare. There is this one which is unusual for other ways. As you know, since you have one, 1921 is my favorite underrated years. This was soldon eBay in 2011. Here's description from the eBay post.

The F-4 is from 1921. Here are the details:

Unique Experimental Cremona Brown F-4

This mandolin has several unique features. The fingerboard extension is much longer than a standard F-4. This one is the length of an F-5 and extends completely over the soundhole.

Obviously, it was constructed without the upper body point. I believe that this feature along with the extended fingerboard was done so that the player would have a much easier access to the very highest frets.

It has the Cremona Brown finish that is very rare on F-4s and not commonly seen until the introduction of the F-5.

It has an original truss rod with the metal truss rod cover. Based on the serial number this is one of the very first if not THE FIRST instrument to have a truss rod installed in it by Gibson.

It appears to be the same mandolin that is pictured being held by Julius Bellson in both the 1925 Gibson Catalog and the book The Gibson Story that was written by Bellson. People knowledgeable of Gibson instruments will recognize the name of both Jullius Bellson who was the historian at Gibson for about 50 years and his brother Albert Bellson who was the director of the Bellson Mandolin orchestra. Both were insiders at Gibson during the Loar era and would have had access to this special experimental instrument.

It is housed in a super rare rectangle case for and F-4. These cases are extremely rare.

It was completely set up and all required maintence done by Dave Harvey at Gibson about 3 years ago. Dave repaired a broken peghead scroll.

Also, the choice of Maple on the back is the highest with exceptional flame and the mandolin is one of the best sounding round sound hole mandolins that I have ever played.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 8.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	372.6 KB 
ID:	190457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 10.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	521.6 KB 
ID:	190458   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 9.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	544.7 KB 
ID:	190456  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 15.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	593.1 KB 
ID:	190459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 18.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	747.9 KB 
ID:	190460  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Very interesting! I never saw a F4 with just two points! Did they make a few of these? The finish is great!!!

I think David Harvey has the "slimmed down" F4. At least I played it at the Gibson booth in Raleigh a couple of years ago. Wonderful F4.

Giant headstock on that F4!

There was another 1924 at Loarfest back in January:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020798.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	571.4 KB 
ID:	190623  
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

8. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Seems to be gone!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)