Thread: Hypothetically, which would you consider the best deal?

Default Hypothetically, which would you consider the best deal?

I'm not really interested in either piece. Just trying to educate myself. Lots of variables granted. Just from the information given, which one of the two is the better deal? Or is it too close to judge?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg...246038229.html
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg...245539014.html

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Hypothetically, which would you consider the best deal?

Apples and oranges. One has an oval hole, the other has f's. Different kind of sound, different type of response. You'll just have to play them and see what you like.

The prices on both instruments seem to be within reason.

Bear in mind that these older instruments will generally need some set up work to play their best. Both will have smaller frets than most of the better modern instruments, and they may or may not suit you well if left as-is. I have installed modern frets on many of these old-timers, and have always been pleased with the results.

The Gibson would have been considered to have been a somewhat better grade instrument than the Strad-o-lin when they were built. But time has shown us that some of the Strad-o-lins are certainly good, viable instruments.

My first decent mandolin, and my only mandolin for several years, was a 1941 Strad-o-lin that I bought in 1980. My next mandolin was an oval hole Gibson, purchased about 1988 or so. I still have both of them.

Everything costs more in the SF Bay area these days ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

If the SOL were all solid not laminated I think that price would be fair but otherwise high for a laminated one.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Everything costs more in the SF Bay area these days ..
    Okay. Thanks!

I'd say the Gibson A is the "better deal," but that's only if you like the way it sounds and feels.

Older Gibsons have a pretty established market history, and although I'd gulp at paying $1.4K for what was near the bottom of the Gibson mandolin line, it appears to be in the "great unmodified condition" the seller claims. Original case, too.

Strad-O-Lins are very nice "cheap" mandolins, and have recently been "discovered" by mandolin players, with resulting increased demand and market presence. However, their prices are all over the place; my current Strad cost me less than half of what is asked for this one, and although it's not as fancy a model, and I bought in here where prices aren't as inflated as the Bay area, I find this one a bit overpriced.

Any chance you could play both of them? That would make a lot of sense, if sellers would cooperate.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

That Strad-O-Lin has been available on Reverb for a while. And while tempting, I think the price is just a touch high with the replacement tuners on there. Would also be nicer if it were solid. But my good Strad was laminate b/s and sounded fine. FWIW, the price is $75 high on Reverb.

If the Gibson really doesn't need any work then that's a fair price, IMO.

Disclosure - was seriously thinking about that Strad before getting my Weber.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I got a Sheridan brown, Aluminum Bridge portion 1922 A from the 5th String Shop on the western end of Geary st . in the early 80s..

they even sorted out an incremental Layaway Plan @ $600.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture