Thread: Strap for A with strap button

Default Strap for A with strap button

Not convinced I at going this route, but if I were to get an A shape mandolin, with strap button installed on it around the neck joint, which strap would work best?

I’ve been leaning towards an F shape (built in strap holder) but the wallet is pointing me another direction. I am currently playing the beginner of beginners mandolin, and it hurts. I am ready to upgrade.

So, leaning towards the Eastman 304. Mandolins being lightweight is an advantage im sure when it comes to reliable straps. The 304 doesn’t have a raised fretboard, so...

Is there a specific button to ask for?
    Specific location?
    Best strap for this scenario?

I like the idea of a thin, braided strap

Default Re: Strap for A with strap button

Here’s the location for a strap button Collings recommends for its A-style mandolins: The recommended location for installing a strap button is on the underside of neck 3/4” below the bottom of the fingerboard and 1/2” over from the body. We recommend clipping 1/8” off the end of the screw to avoid running into the truss rod. The screw hole should be drilled at an angle, perpendicular to the surface of the wood, and a felt bushing may be used between the strap button and the wood's surface to avoid unnecessary imprinting.

I like the strap going to the headstock. I have mandolins with strap buttons on the neck, I took them off. It is more comfortable for me on the headstock.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I have an Eastman 305. I installed a strap button on the bottom of the neck heal and played it this way for 8-10 months. I usually play sitting down, and this worked OK, but I found the instrument to be a little neck heavy which required constant, light, support from my left hand. I was learning the tune "Devil's Dream" awhile back and was having difficulty moving quickly to a finger position where I needed to fret the E and A strings simultaneously at the first fret because I was having to support the weight of the neck. So, I moved the strap to the peghead. At first I thought I wouldn't like it there and expected it to get in the way. This has turned out not to be the case, and I now prefer it on the peghead. It supports the weight of the neck better and frees up my left hand from doing support duties. It has made it easier to play. IMO

I made my strap out of an old leather belt that is about 1" wide. I used round, braided, shoe laces at each end for attachment and adjustment. It was originally intended to be an interim solution, but it works well, so I figure "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Hope this is helpful.
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo

Strap button goes on the underside of the heel of the neck. Easy to do yourself, or have a luthier do it if you're not confident in your drilling skills. Here's a pic of the one Will installed on my Kimble A.

Strap is a Little Satchel, braided 'roo skin, available from Carters. Very light and strong, highly recommended. You'll need to request one without the loop end, but those are available. Call Carter's and talk with them. They'll set you up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0047.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	483.0 KB 
ID:	190514
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

6. The following members say thank you to Kevin Winn for this post:

Just to clarify my earlier post. The button I installed on my Eastman 305 is on the underside if the neck heal, like Kevin's pictured above. It is not installed on the "bottom" of the heal. Looking back, my earlier description was confusing.
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

A strap button on the down side of the heel works best for me. Insofar as which strap.... are you intending over the shoulder or around your back? I use an over the shoulder hold and made do with a strap made from a leather shoelace for years. I now use a plain Jane single piece of leather about 1/2" wide. People make them out of old belts from a thrift shop ..... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Question Re: Strap for A with strap button; handicrafts..

Leather, old belt, with 2 holes punched in it one on either end..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Default Re: Strap for A with strap button; handicrafts..

I use one from Pinegrove Leather with my A's. It's a fixed length strap with a slot on both ends. One of my A's has a knob on the side of the fretboard and one doesn't. If I attach a piece of leather lace around the fretboard extension on the one that doesn't, then I can run that through one end of the strap so it will work with either mandolin.

Default Re: Strap for A with strap button; handicrafts..

Quote Originally Posted by ivancook View Post
    I use one from Pinegrove Leather with my A's. It's a fixed length strap with a slot on both ends. One of my A's has a knob on the side of the fretboard and one doesn't. If I attach a piece of leather lace around the fretboard extension on the one that doesn't, then I can run that through one end of the strap so it will work with either mandolin.
    Here are a few pics to demonstrate. I love this because of the versatility. The straps can easily come off for when I'm storing the instrument in its case (no potential for scratching or messing with the finish) and they can be used with various instruments, A, F, whatever has at least one endpin. (note: the strap arrived from Pinegrove Leather with smaller slots, but I enlarged them a bit to make it easier to take on and off and the leather lace was not included)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	967.6 KB 
ID:	190909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	744.9 KB 
ID:	190910Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	599.7 KB 
ID:	190911

Ivan, just my 2 cents, but I would not trust that knot to stay in the strap. I would instead, tie the lace by going through the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Kelley View Post
    Ivan, just my 2 cents, but I would not trust that knot to stay in the strap. I would instead, tie the lace by going through the hole.
    I'd rather not tie it because it would take more time to remove. It may not look secure from the photos, but it actually requires more effort to separate the strap from the knot than the endpin since the knot is larger and more irregular in shape. I'll definitely keep an eye on it though since the leather can stretch over time.
    Last edited by ivancook; Dec-28-2020 at 10:57pm.

I bought a headstock strap on Ebay and a strip of nice soft leather and made this arrangement. I've since bought an 8mm hole punch and a curved chisel to make the finish a bit better. I've gone for a fixed length of 46 inches which works for me.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strap.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	572.1 KB 
ID:	190922

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    I bought a headstock strap on Ebay and a strip of nice soft leather and made this arrangement. I've since bought an 8mm hole punch and a curved chisel to make the finish a bit better. I've gone for a fixed length of 46 inches which works for me.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strap.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	572.1 KB 
ID:	190922
    Very nice. Is that metal bit on the loop a snap button so that it can quickly detach?

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I just got a new strap from Lakota Leathers; round braided black and tobacco... my pancake mando has strap buttons for both ends of the strap so I just asked the guys at Lakota to punch a hole in the loop end to go over the strap button.

Strange though, the strap seems a little short.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous