Thread: Mandolin leather case restoration

Default Mandolin leather case restoration

New topic... another question... below are the pics of the leather case that comes with the mandolin discussed in a previous thread.
    The question here is what to do with the case???
    The grain finish of the leather is mostly worn off and the the remains of the leather rubs off as a brown dust.
    I had sort of concluded there is no hope for this case, but you folks on this forum have great ideas....
    I was thinking of maybe soaking the leather with some sort of sealer... maybe even a marine varnish that should seal the surface?
    Any thoughts or ideas?? This was a high end case well made and too bad it has deteriorated thus far... so hoping there is hope
    Thanks everyone!... Mat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando case full.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	374.8 KB 
ID:	190522   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando case close.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	357.8 KB 
ID:	190523  

Default Re: Mandolin leather case restoration

Cafe member Steve Kirtley (LoudLoar) has an excellent vintage case site and also has a group on Facebook. The website is here. The Facebook Group is here. Those leather cases have been referred to affectionately as "Clown Shoe" cases. If anyone knows how to refurbish one of those it would probably be Steve.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Once again, Thanks, Mike! ... Mat

There's a BBC series called the "Repair Shop", and their leather expert has brought back leather which looks worse than that! So maybe there is something which can be done.

A quick search found me this blog about restoring a leather sofa - there are multiple steps and products used, which might give you an idea about the work involved. https://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/e-...estore-leather

No idea if these products are the right ones, and I'm sure there are plenty of equivalents on the market. I'd look for leather restoring products aimed at the saddlery market. But the main steps shown in the blog - consolidating the old leather, filling it and conditioning it - are those used by the TV restorer, so that should give you an idea about what you'd be looking for.

6. The following members say thank you to ProfChris for this post:

Thanks ProfChris! ... most helpful... Guess I'll be spending the morning reading... Joy!Cheers, Mat

Quote Originally Posted by Mat Roop View Post
    New topic... another question... below are the pics of the leather case that comes with the mandolin discussed in a previous thread.
    The question here is what to do with the case???
    The grain finish of the leather is mostly worn off and the the remains of the leather rubs off as a brown dust.
    I had sort of concluded there is no hope for this case, but you folks on this forum have great ideas....
    I was thinking of maybe soaking the leather with some sort of sealer... maybe even a marine varnish that should seal the surface?
    Any thoughts or ideas?? This was a high end case well made and too bad it has deteriorated thus far... so hoping there is hope
    Thanks everyone!... Mat
    Do NOT use marine varnish ..........please. If you want to save the leather use either some MINK OIL very sparingly and lightly over the whole item and let dry for a day or two, then do another light coating, and again leave for a day or two to dry ( very important. If you drown it, the leather will let go and it will fall apart.

Since this is veggie or vegetable tanned leather it will keep it shape but if you place it in water it will collapse the shape and sag. Never use hot water on veggie tan leather either ( it sags and then goes rock hard).

When you have used the oil maybe 3 or so thin coats and let dry you can use leather conditioner to enrich the leather back to health. When that is dry then you can dye the leather with a quality leather dye like Fiebings pro dye ( it is an alcohol type dye) - that will give you the colour you want. Then you can finish it several ways to bring back the shine, but thats up to you. It would be worth it though.

AllanClick image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	190660
    Last edited by tassiespirit; Dec-20-2020 at 6:09am.
    Allan Midgley

9. The following members say thank you to tassiespirit for this post: