Thread: '60s (?) Suzuki 226

Default '60s (?) Suzuki 226

Lifelong guitarer here, looking to learn a fine new instrument. I've spotted a old-ish Suzuki 226 locally. It appears to be in good condition and comes with a case for $125. I've read mixed things about these models and wanted to get your 2 cents on whether I should check it out or if I should steer clear! If it seems OK, any warning signs I should look for?
    Thanks a mignon!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	226.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	190558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	226back.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	190559

Default Re: '60s (?) Suzuki 226

Other than knowing almost nothing about bowlbacks... any mandolin that is structurally sound, plays well, and appeals to you is a steal at $125. Looks like some of those go for double that on the market.

(emphasis on the structurally sound part. You can have it set up to play better if it's out of tune, etc...) Good luck and welcome to the Mandolin Cafe!
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

I am not too sure of the model numbers but the 1970s Suzuki I owned was pretty heavily built and did not ring like better vintage bowlbacks. For $125 that is a decent price for such a mandolin—I would not pay more. I believe there are some better grades of Suzuki bowlbacks but I have never played one. Are you only looking for a bowlback. You might prefer a more preferable newer imported mandolin. There are numerous threads on starter mandolins even for long time guitar players.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Get it!

For a first mando, any will do. You won't start really feeling or hearing differences until you've played for a while. A-style, F-style, bowlback, resonator, or flattop? Oval or f-hole? Maple or other? Plywood or solid? Body at the tenth or twelfth fret? Neck width? U.S. or import? I mean—yikes!

If $125 isn't a major sacrifice for you, just get it, fool with it, and learn a few things. In a year or so, start looking around for your second.

Like you, I'm a long-time guitar player. I'm on my fourth and probably final mando now. (U.S. oval A, solid carved spruce and birch, tenth-fret join.) It took a few years to figure out just what I wanted. I think a lot of folks have had a similar experience.

I bought a similar one, an M-215, this summer. Mine has a rosewood bowl, while yours is maple, with the same number of staves. It has been a lot of fun to mess with, and has a nice, resonant tone.

A few things to look for: First, is the neck straight? Look down it from several different angles and make sure it isn't warped, bent, or twisted. That's a deal breaker. Tuners seem to work OK? Any cracks? Any of the staves in the bowl separating or broken? (Any of those issues can be fixed if you're willing to pay someone to do it.) If you are a guitarist, you probably know who to take it to if it needs any work. It will undoubtedly want new strings, and you will want to put extra-lights on it as no steel is reinforcing the neck.

Go have a look! From the photos, it looks pretty clean.